Saturday, 8 February 2014

New plans

Last weekend I made a start on the big border in the front garden. This is actually an after shot it was completely disgraceful for a before shot.

Once the lavender bushes were removed, I began to see how much space I had to play with. They were disgracefully over grown with no going back. Also they were infested with bindweed.

I'm taking my time with this bed, as it is in the front garden I want a wildlife theme to it. To fit in with my edible plans I want a wineberry bush by the wall, I also have a few globe artichoke seeds to sow so I might put a couple of plants there. The bed is a lot bigger than it looks a rough estimate is 15 by 5ft.

I know I want a white butterfly bush there & have always hankered after a Mock Orange blossom shrub. Once I have ensured all traces of bind weed have been removed I can make some permanent plans.

It will mainly consist of some smaller shrubs with berries, some perennial bee/butterfly plants & a few edibles.

As scruffy as it looks from the photograph it isn't as bad in real life. There are marigolds & forget me knots coming through & I know there are some perennials waiting to burst through. At least the bees/butterfly's will have something until it is finished.

Enjoy our day


14 comments:

  1. They are all things that I'd love to grow too - a mixture of perennial edibles and bee/butterfly friendly flowers. It will look lovely I am sure. I'm waiting for a dry spell (!) to put some things in my front garden, which is a disgraceful square of gravel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike wants to remove the lawn & put gravel in its place. He has been banned from the front garden now! I'm sure we are due a few dry days soon.

      Delete
  2. Globe artichokes make lovely ornamental plants and bees simply can't resist the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I believe, I'm going to let a couple of the plants flower for the bees but save the rest for me.

      Delete
  3. You have enough spaces to realize your plans, and what do you want with your garden. You can choose so many theme. It's only fream for me :-( I have to select so many plants to be grew on my little garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You grow so much in your space, I'm lucky that I can extend borders to fit more stuff in.

      Delete
  4. I an sure it will look nice I will make sore I leave some or plant some in my wildlife area the ARTICOKES now I know the bees love the flowers thanks Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great space for the shrubs you want in, and to bring the lavender in is great for the bees. We added some cosmos too and the wildlife that these feed are amazing. We used any space for smaller herbs which also brought in the wildlife. I look forward to seeing your plot grow xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plans all sound very exciting and it will be very pretty I am sure when you are done. I look forward to seeing how work progresses. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got so many great plans for your front garden, it's going to be wonderful once it's established. It will be interesting seeing it through all the stages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That should look really good once it's all done, planted up and grown. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant plans, I can't wait to see it in a couple of months :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of your plans and the combination of food for you and for the bees and butterflies! I look forward to seeing it all develop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you have it planned well...can't wait to see your pictures once you get planting!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.