Friday, 28 February 2014

Ready, steady, go!


I have relocated some photos from last year as I didn't have my camera with me this morning. Which is a pity really with the state I was getting myself in.

Mike had very kindly left the seeds compost behind the black bin which is kept by the side gate. Muggins here decided she would pop out with pj's, dressing gown & white slippers on her feet. Forgetting the weight of seed compost bags I struggled into the house with it, it also gave the neighbours who were on their way to work or dog walking something to laugh about I can tell you. Especially when I nearly tipped myself backwards by trying to grab the compost & ending up on the soil border not the path!!

Anyway to make it easier for myself I thought I would take a chance & work in the hall. Ahem, not a good idea with a mucky gardener like me, I carefully swept up the compost remains on the floor & thanked god numerous times  for us to have the foresight of a wooden floor in the hall & Mike being to far away in work to catch me. 

My windowsill propagator is up & running, I haven't sown anything yet as I am leaving the compost to warm up a bit first. Hopefully I shall stick some seeds in on Sunday. 

The sweet peas like a long root run allegedly, I say this as I make sure I grow any legume in toilet roll innards or deeper pots to save on root disturbance. However I have bought sweet pea seedlings in normal plant pots from a garden centre before now & they grew like topsy!

Well that's me making a start & do you know, I feel all the better for it.! I would also like to point out that the photograph of the propagator - the murky bit you see behind it isn't the state of my window, it is the field at the back of my garden. I'm not completely lacks you know! Enjoy your day











18 comments:

  1. We made a start on planting last weekend too. It feels so good to be growing new things again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. Your story made me smile. I'm always nipping out into the garden in my dressing gown and slippers - one day I'll learn that this rarely goes well ;)

      Delete
    2. It does, I'm glad I made the effort this morning. I am surprised by the amount of people in the lane this morning!

      Delete
  2. Lovely, how nice to see it all beginning. It must be spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like it, we were forecast snow but it is lovely & bright outside, I hope it is here to stay.

      Delete
  3. Snap! I started mine last weekend and have lots of seedlings up already - it feels good to get going at last :)

    I fall over in the mud in pjs quite often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good, hopefully I shall have some poking through next week. I'm sure you are far more sensible than me & have wellies on your feet!

      Delete
  4. It's good to make a start as you have. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good Mike, hopefully I will be seed sowing this weekend!

      Delete
  5. A great idea in peas seedling. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, I have a bag of them somewhere, I need to find it soon!

      Delete
  6. Must admit we don't buy special long pots for sweet peas. The mention of white slippers made me wince!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't buy special ones as such, the larger black plastic square ones if you know what I mean. To make the slipper situation worse they are white furry boot type ones, not my usual style but they were a Christmas present & rather comfy too. They are in the washing machine at present trying to get rid of the soil stripe at the back of them!

      Delete
  7. I use my kitchen floor for sowing purposes, especially when it's cold outside. The floor's tiled so it's easy to sweep up any spills or mop up any dirt. Looking forward to hearing what's in the propagator on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one, it must be the name. I'm hoping there will be lots & lots!

      Delete
  8. Joanne, your blog is becoming a right comedy act!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why bless your heart Mark, it would have been more funnier if I had of fallen backwards completely, I would have been spread eagled amongst the buddlia!

      Delete
  9. I love the reusing of loo roll holders. I like your morning of mahem!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.