Friday, 21 February 2014

Weeds

The blinking things get everywhere don't they! I know we are all affected by them & they make fantastic compost fodder but this one below is my fault completely. 
About three or four years ago I bought a couple of Lady's Mantle plants, pretty little planst they are too.

Anyway as usual with me things are bought without a plan in mind. These plants were no exception & if memory serves me correct were kept in the greenhouse over winter.

Mike built me a new raised bed in the front garden & the Lady's mantle plants were planted at the front corners. The idea being as it is a frothy plant, they would spill over & soften the edges of the raised bed.

It works very nicely indeed & looks rather pretty when in full flower. Except can you see the dandelion slap bang in the centre? Of course you can! Before I planted them I noticed a little dandelion plant in one of the pots.  Silly me thought I could just tug it out & all would be well.

As we all know that even the teeniest, tiniest piece of dandelion root can re-sprout & this one did & does each year with a vengeance.

I look at it each year & pull the leaves off. I took this photo last week & thought to myself that I would buy one of the weed-killers in a stick form. So I could paint it on the leaves.

The problem now is I can't buy anything until the 18th April 2014. I will not be losing the bet I have with Mike as I won't hear the end of it. Pfft I will be pulling out dandelion leaves for a few weeks yet!

Thanks for your comments on my Dear Mike post, it was meant to be a light hearted post & I'm glad it went down well, all of it was true. My parents never had a good relationship you see & pretty much dislike each other. Mike makes me smile everyday & I'm so thankful to have him, my life is truly better for having him in it. I might make it a regular monthly post, just for a bit of fun. I'm also not losing the bet.

Enjoy your day.

20 comments:

  1. Can you dig it out with an old kitchen knife? If you slice it off low enough down it won't return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how many times I've tried. Pulling leaves off has been a last resort.

      Delete
  2. I was going to say the same thing as CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am either very unlucky & a seed is landing in the same space each year or I'm not digging down far enough. I'm digging up the plant to divide it & hopefully I will get the dandelion root at the same time.

      Delete
  3. We have deep rooted weeds, that's really annoying. Than I have raised bed with new 'soil' and gravel path way. I have never find that weed again. But I find the other weeds. Although they have very short roots, but they grow and spread so fast on my beds and pots. I have to weeding at least twice a month. Really annoying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think weeds re the bane of any gardeners life. I know dandelions re mine.

      Delete
  4. I think that CJ's suggestion is a good one and has got to be easier than keeping on pulling off the leaves! If there is any left it will soon grow again and by then you can buy your weedkiller and see it off!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried countless times, I'm missing a bit somewhere. It will be easier for me to dig the plant up to divide it.

      Delete
  5. There's nothing more satisfying than digging right down and pulling out a dandelion root intact. They're such robust things, anchored so well in to the ground. Hope you manage to deal with it successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but this one is anchored right in the middle. The plant is coming out to be divided, I shall catch the root that way I hope.

      Delete
  6. Dandelions are the bane of my life both at home and on the allotment. I loved your last post!! My Hubby often drives me to distraction but I wouldn't be complete without him!!

    CJ's advice is good for the dandelion though...and it will mean you won't lose the bet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too with Mike, I'm digging the plant up to divide it & remove the root that way. Hopefully!

      Delete
  7. I weed using an old six inch kitchen knife which is ideal for dandelions. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried, I'm not getting in far enough. I'm going to dig up the whole plant & split it, hopefully I shall beable to remove the dandelion root that way.

      Delete
  8. Until the bet is off between you two I would be making dandelion salad…..for Mike :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post if you got vinegar indoors dap it on the leaves

    Examples of Herbicides for Dandelions

    •Organic: Vinegar
    •Weed-B-Gon (brand name), with the active ingredient, 2,4-D
    •Roundup (brand name), with the active ingredient, glyphosate


    It's the acetic acid in vinegar that gives it herbicidal potential. The higher the percentage of acetic acid in the vinegar, the better. Vinegar used for culinary purposes is relatively low (5%) in acetic acid, but you can boil it down to increase its strength prior to the application.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Linda I have some in the cupboard, I shall try boiling it down first as you suggest.

      Delete
  10. Before you go putting weedkiller / vinegar on the dandelion, just be careful you don't kill the Lady's Mantle too! If you blanch the dandelion by covering it with an upturned pot or something, it will go pale and sweet and will be a nice salad ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the vinegar idea is the best one, go for it kill the little b*gger :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.