Monday, 3 February 2014

Yellow Raspberries

One of my orders last month was placed at Victoriana Nursery. Part of the order was for five canes of yellow raspberries. Which arrived a few days later. I am fast running out of space to plant longer term crops but with luck the boundary fence in the back garden was rebuilt last year. I have plenty of red raspberries but have always wanted a few yellow ones too. I did have one which was bought last year as a pot plant from a garden centre. As this cropped well I was eager to have more.

I planted my canes last week in this nice new space. Ideally I would have preferred to have painted the wall prior to planting but it has just been too wet & the threat of rain always seems to be about. I will have to squeeze myself amongst the canes in the next few weeks. I'm also anxious to get the fence painted before the rhubarb is up properly.

Now I know you must be wondering what is a bottle doing in the corner of the photograph?

 Ta da. Mike has had these for a couple of years now,loitering waiting for him to turn them into something useful. He cut the bottoms off & I placed them on top of my globe artichokes. I am slightly worried over the lack of frosts. This way I wont get caught out & should keep the slugs at bay.

The bed was nicely weeded yesterday & all that remains are a few self seeded fox gloves & the resident fruit bushes & perennial veg/flowers. It looks a little tatty in the photograph but isn't now.

Right enjoy your day which seems a little cooler than the glorious weather we had yesterday. I'm off to the post office to post a rather late seedy penpal parcel.

28 comments:

  1. Are your raspberries the autumn fruiting All Gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, I now have six. I bought one last year which as a potted one was expensive but I did get a taste.

      Delete
  2. I'm jealous ... you're planting.

    Big bottles are great cloches aren't they, and soooo much cheaper AND better than the specifically designed cloches from the garden centre, I treated myself to a stack of these a couple of years ago, they cracked and were got rid of ages ago, the bottles I started using at the same time live on to see another year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planting but they are twiggy things so don't get to jealous. Mike was in the right place at the right time with those bottles.

      Delete
  3. I am jealous too.
    And they'll be delicious. The colour always put me off.. until I tried them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to some proper planting. They are lovely raspberries.

      Delete
  4. I've been so fortunate to inherit so much fruit on my new plot, including yellow raspberries. I don't know the variety, but there were some fruit on the canes when we took the allotment on in October so I'm guessing they're an autumn variety. Those bottles are great to use as cloches, they're big enough to use on quite large plants too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky , I've only seen All Gold advertised perhaps it is them. I'm pleased with my make do cloches. I have tried to wedge them in the ground as it can be more than a little windy here.

      Delete
  5. I like raspberries, but do prefer the red ones. Plastic bottles, of various sizes, all make good cloches. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both, I believe I have just enough space for one of those purple raspberries. The bottles are fab, I'm really pleased with them.

      Delete
    2. Do you mean Glencoe as they are quite vigorous and produce long canes similar to those of a blackberry minus the thorns.

      Delete
    3. I think so Sue, I have seen them advertised as a clump forming one. Just the one plant in the pack. I haven't seen them in any garden centres but as adverts in gardening magazines.

      Delete
    4. We have one on the plot. If you search for Glencoe on my blog I'll have posted about it.

      Delete
  6. I have never heard about yellow raspberry before. I only know about the red one. How about the taste? I usually use plastic bottles to cover new plants after transplanted. I cut off the bottom too. It really do well on the sunny or rainy day, the plants will safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they taste the same as the red ones, perhaps a bit sweeter. The bottles are working really well.

      Delete
  7. A little tip for using the bottle cloches, if the weather is very windy: put in a tall bamboo cane via the neck, and push it very frmly into the ground below - carefully avoiding your precious plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good idea Mark, I shall do that as it can be extremely windy.

      Delete
  8. Lovely post Joanne I have one rare yellow raspberry the tags come of but will be trying to get some more yellow and red raspberry's as I only have one of each have a blessed week a head

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, buying the canes bare rooted is the cheapest way. the garden centres charge a shocking price for a potted one.

      Delete
  9. We've got loads of raspberries, but like you some yellow ones would be a great addition. Will have to invest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An ideal time to do so with bare root ones. I think I have reached the limit now with the amount I can fit into the garden. Well nearly!

      Delete
  10. I only have the red raspberries...I don't know...I never really fancied the yellow ones..guess I'm just a boring traditionalist at heart!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to grow some, I bought some several years back which produced red fruit?

      Delete
  11. Your raspberries will cover the wall nicely, and be much nicer to look at than a plain wall or fence would be. Hope that you get the painting done as you wish. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they will, I'm quite eager to get the painting done. I have all the paint it is just the wet weather making it impossible at the moment.

      Delete
  12. You have been working hard. I look forward to seeing how your yellow raspberries do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope they do well there, the first plant I planted last year did fairly well. Time will tell, I shall be checking the ground eagerly over the next few months.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.