Saturday, 1 March 2014

Garden Share Collective - looking ahead to March

It has been an interesting winter to say the least. Spring will be on us shortly & here in the UK, March sees seed sowing at full pelt. Well indoor seed sowing that is! I'm joining in with the Garden Share Collective hence the two posts today!

My windowsill propagator is set up & the seed compost warming up nicely. Tomatoes, sweet & hot peppers  will be sown this weekend. No doubt herbs & flowers will be sown too, though I may save those for the larger propagator downstairs. I shall start my brassicas off & sow a tray or two of leeks. The runner, climbing & dwarf beans will also be sown in pots along with my broad beans which I have been promising myself to sow for the past few weekends. Peas & mange tout along with onion sets & few early lettuce & radish seeds to be thrown into the mix.

All in all March will prove to be a busy month!
The greenhouse will soon be looking like this again! Always an exciting time so much to look forward to.

Talking of the greenhouse, the contents inside will be having a move around in March. The table you see above will be moved to the opposite side & the tomatoes will be grown against the glass. Once all the seedlings have grown big enough for their final planting positions the table will be cleared ready for the pots of chillis & sweet peppers. I will have to make sure I have space for my peach tree as just having the one greenhouse now means a cucumber plant will have to takes its chance amongst the mix too.
Hopefully March will see the peach tree looking like this & I promise faithfully to cull lots of the baby peaches that will come after I hand pollinate each flower several times over. This needs doing as the peach tree is kept in the greenhouse in case of the dreaded peach leaf curl & there are so few pollinating insects at this time of year.

One of the biggest plans for this month is the front garden, thankfully the edible hedge I planted at the end of January beginning of February is breaking into leaf.
More of the lawn will be removed at the front, I want this space for some wild flowers & bulbs & hopefully some wild garlic. A larger wildlife pond is planned for the corner & for this large border below, well it is to be filled full of perennials & shrubs.
 The other borders will be filled with roses & shrubs I am planning on being as wildlife friendly as possible.!

I'm joining in with the Garden Share Collective for this post. There are bloggers from Australia, New Zealand & the UK taking part. Do pop over & take a look & perhaps join in!
The Garden Share Collective

15 comments:

  1. A wildlife pond is a wonderful thing. I found frogspawn in ours last week, a sure sign that spring is around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you with the frog spawn, I have a little pond in the back garden already but more frogs are seen in the front. I might get frogs pawn next year myself.

      Delete
  2. The peach tree blossom is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely isn't it, I rather enjoy jabbing it with a brush. It is one of those nice little jobs.

      Delete
  3. You've been busy, and obviously will be what with all you've got planned to do. A pond sounds good, and I'm sure that it'll great when done. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the weather has been on my side, yes anther pond would be nice also it can be bigger than the little one in the back as I have more space available in the front.

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you here, Joanne - we need to counter-balance all those folks Down Under!
    There is a lot happening in your garden at the moment, isn't there? In the years to come you will be able to look back at your blogposts and remind yourself of how things used to be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Mark, I may do a February look back post soon for the same reason.

      Delete
  5. There's nothing lovelier than seeing photos of spring seedlings! I Also love your idea of an edible hedge.Will look forward to seeing how that grows :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm so excited about it, I can't wait to go foraging amongst it in a couple of years.

      Delete
  6. A great seedlings! A nice pear tree, you make me jealous....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have far too many fruit trees for the space I have. I always think I can fit a couple more in!

      Delete
  7. I love that you are growing your seedling on your window sill. Your peach tree's flowers are stunning. Thanks for being apart of the GSC, its truly inspiring to us how you can keep growing through those cold months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up Joanne - love that you've planted an edible hedge in the front garden - what is it? Lucky you having a greenhouse, something I would dearly love! I hand pollinated a cucumber on my balcony two years ago - actually quite a nice task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Lovely that you've joined the Garden Share Collective - I'm doing my bit to swell the numbers on the UK List, so thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.