Monday, 3 March 2014

Hello March!

I'm so excited, seed sowing has commenced the sun has been shining & each morning I have woken up to a light frost. Hopefully the frost will make a dent in the slug population. The wet mild winter we had has seen an influx of the little blighter's in the garden.
I have finally sown my broad beans, all twelve on them! Actually I do have more seeds but I can only fit in twelve plants. 'Bunyards Exhibition' a reliable longpod variety so the packet says. I have grown them several times before so I know they will do well. Do you know the only broad beans I have eaten have come fresh out of a garden. Perhaps if I had tried the leathery looking things in the shops it might have put me off! Also I absolutely adore the scent of the broad bean flowers, if it wasn't at the expense of beans I would cut them & place them in a vase!

I've also started off Mikes white 'Ebenezer' onions, only sixteen I haven't got space for any more & I think there are still fifty left in the net! I also stuck some shallots ' Golden Gourmet' in too, I'm not too bothered about them as they will be grown in troughs & pickled when they are ready.


Sweet peas have been sown in the tubes above, 'Perfume Delight' & the original 'Cupani' I am hoping for fistfuls of flowers come the summer!

You can see a steamy looking propagator! , they are all nicely full of seeds. Tomatoes, Tomatilloes, Sweet peppers, chilli peppers, nemesia, lobelia, dahlias & hyssop, oh & some artichokes 'Green Globe'.  Once they are through I shall prick them out & refill with seed compost & re sow with other seeds. I think I'm going to have to set up the larger propagator up sooner than I thought.

Enjoy your day!

31 comments:

  1. I've only ever eaten home grown broad beans too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't look very edible in the shops, the price of runner beans always makes me laugh. Almost a couple of £'s for a handful of beans. Another bean that I've not had from a shop.

      Delete
    2. French beans are the same and raspberries and currants. Must be the work involved in picking them.

      Delete
    3. It must be, I do think all the easy to grow crops are so expensive in the shops!

      Delete
  2. I didn't even like home grown broad beans when I was a kid, but they've grown on me in the last few years. Like you though I've never tried the shop bought variety - some things just don't seem worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know I can't remember eating them as a child. I love them now.

      Delete
    2. My mum always grew them, which meant there were always piles to be eaten. I never would have believed I'd choose to grow them myself!

      Delete
    3. I never thought I would grow runner beans, it's funny how your taste changes.

      Delete
  3. I love homegrown broad beans, wonderful. You just can't buy them that small. I need to get out the seed box and see what needs to be sown in March. Everything probably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when you pop into the garden to pick them for dinner, fantastic feeling. Oh there is just so much to sow this month & next!!

      Delete
  4. A lovely, busy post! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was quite busy yesterday but it felt good to make a start

      Delete
  5. I love this time of year, so exciting getting everything going again. I was hoping to get some more seeds sown this weekend but I didn't manage it. The seeds I sowed last weekend are germinating though, and my onions and shallots have started sprouting in their modules already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it! I'm glad your seeds germinated for you it is going to be a busy few weeks!

      Delete
  6. Hi Joanne... I've just realised I'm not following your lovely blog.. well I am now :o)
    I've yet to sow any seeds but that will change very soon.. I shall be sowing my sweet peas in tubes like you :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you & thank you. The tubes are great for any sort of seed to be sown. Good luck with your seed sowing.

      Delete
  7. Great post! D. got to the heated propagators first and they're now full of chillies so I've still got a couple of weeks to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, just one little section of chillies in mine. saying that I can't wait for them to come through so I can re sow with something else.

      Delete
  8. Joanne you have been very busy bee with all your sowing of seeds my broad beans are coming on nicely video uploading now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been busy yes, I wish i had sown by broad beans last autumn though!

      Delete
  9. Just noticed my garlic peeking through this morning so spring is definitely springing! You're very disciplined with only sowing what you need - I must try and do more of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, I didn't do garlic for this year. I'm sowing for the space I've got at the moment, I'm sure it will change soon!

      Delete
  10. Slugs back already? Oh dear, I thought I was going to get a head start. I've ordered a bumper pack of nematodes but they don't start dispatching them until mid March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back!!! I don't think they went. I haven't ordered mine yet but I know it will be too cold here for a few weeks yet. Roll on April!

      Delete
  11. I have the same problem with slugs....I am beginning to think they are immortal!
    It's great to make a start isn't it, and I do agree with you about the gorgeous scent of broad beans, I have some in flower in the veggie patch at the moment, a few stragglers from last autumns plants seeded and are doing exceptionally well, shows how mild the winter has been.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have the same slugs as me then, which doesn't bode well for the rest of the country! I think it is one of my very favourite scents I just love it & that awful Mike laughs when he sees me crouching on the ground trying to sniff them.

      Delete
  12. Wow! What a garden you're going to have this summer! It all sounds delicious :) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I keep on trying to fit more & more in!

      Delete
  13. Wow, a great idea on seedling. Everything look so interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope everything germinates.

      Delete
  14. I share your excitement- this is what I'll be doing at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.