Tuesday, 11 March 2014

My little peach tree

Isn't it lovely, the blossoms are far, far brighter in real life than the photograph suggests. Now because the peach tree blossoms are pretty much the first of the year & the tree needs to be kept under cover during the winter due to the dreaded peach leaf curl, it needs a little help in the fertilizing department. 

My peach tree is kept in the greenhouse, at this time of year there is little in the way of flying insects even more so under glass. Do you see my little ear bud? Every couple of days I dab the centre of each blossom, well maybe not each as it is covered with peach blossoms! This way the pollen can be distributed between each blossom helping to ensure juicy peaches later on in the summer.


When the peaches start to form you need to cull them drastically, an almost heart breaking past time I find! The promise of lots of juicy peaches wrenched away as you pull each baby peach off. If you don't cull drastically you will be left with lots of tiny peaches which wont ripen, so really it is a waste of time in growing your own peach tree if you don't remove most of the baby peaches. The ideal spacing is approx 5cm between each peach, obviously the more space given the larger your peaches will be.  I removed close on fifty baby peaches last year! 

Anyway there you are, my little peach tree, I say little it is now about 5ft & is the dwarf variety Bonanza. Last year I think we had twelve peaches off it, not as large as the ones you can buy but I'm not bothered by that,, I'm growing for me not the local supermarket. 

Enjoy your day 

31 comments:

  1. Loaded with blossom! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really is smothered!

      Delete
  2. A very pretty tree. I hope the fertilizing goes well and you get some lovely peaches later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope so too, it has worked well in the past so should do this year.

      Delete
  3. Peach blossom is beautiful but none on our outdoor tree yet. We're trying a Bordeaux Spray to try and stop peach leaf curl this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine is in the right spot in the greenhouse, & it is ever so slightly warmer there. I might be trying the Bordeaux Spray myself at some time, the peach tree might have to be moved outside.

      Delete
  4. The blossom on my peach tree is only just starting to open up. I'm at the ready with my paint brush, I want some peaches this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will soon be covered in blossoms, I've dabbed mine with something each year & have always had peaches to pick.

      Delete
  5. Wow... really beautiful! We can find it here. The pinky flowers look so wonderful. I dream your little tree will loaded with plentiful fruits. I can't wait to see the progress. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I hope it will be loaded too.

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is so awesome!!! The blooms look so pretty and your hard work ;) will definately bring you lots of fruits!!! I ordered my tree and still waiting for its arrival. Then, hopefully, I will be happy eating peaches straight from the tree... In a few years time...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do hope so. How lovely you have one too!

      Delete
  7. Such a pretty blossom on peach trees! You are quite the busy "bee" pollinating yourself and also culling the baby peaches ;) I love the dedication you put into your gardening ... very inspirational! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is pretty, I think it has a slight scent or at least I imagine it does.

      Delete
  8. Lovely to look at, and to eat! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely blossoms aren't they.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, they are a lot brighter in real life.

      Delete
  10. Even if that tree never produced any fruit, it would be worth having ten times over for the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glorious aren't they, I'm sure I can detect a light fragrance too.

      Delete
  11. Your tree is so pretty. The flowers are a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they do seem to be multi toned too, there are some lighter pink flowers.

      Delete
  12. Wow that really is smothered with blossom. How lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is smothered front back & sides. They sort of explode overnight, a few blossoms open & then the next day pow!

      Delete
  13. It must be so wonderful to eat your own home grown peach all fresh and warm and juicy straight from the tree, so I am sure that the effort is worth the reward, even if it is a lot of work! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather decadent Amy, just a wander over to the greenhouse & pluck. Lovely after a BBQ.

      Delete
  14. That's a glorious sight, Joanne! Is the tree a full size one that you're keeping in a pot or is it one of those patio peaches? If you can get a good harvest from a little pot tree, I may well be tempted to buy one for myself! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a patio one, it does say on the label it can grow to 6ft. I'm 5ft & the tree is just slightly taller than me so it is nearly fully grown. If you pull the baby peaches off strategically you could possibly get 20 full grown peaches off it.

      Delete
  15. Hello Joanne, and good luck with your little peach tree ... such beautiful blossom!

    Thanks for visiting me, you're always welcome!

    Love Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely blossom, ever so bright on a gloomy morning. Thank you & my pleasure.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.