Friday, 18 April 2014

Chilli Plants

Now there are several things I grow that my granddad never did, Chilli plants being one of them. This year I have gone for my normal Poblano which are ideal for stuffing & roasting, Padron which are lovely grilled & just a box standard variety which I can use in the kitchen. Not exciting but they will do for me. I was going to try a couple of new varieties but was in the middle of my self inflicted spending ban when I thought about trying them. Which came to an end yesterday when I got paid. I promptly blew my allotted allowance for the month on fabric & wool.

Ahem,  Mike for some reason has decided to take an interest in growing Chillies. Nothing wrong with that as long as he doesn't encroach on too much of my greenhouse. In fact the only fault I can find other than I'm the one doing the actual work is Mikes interest in stupid hot chillies.

Last year we had a disastrous attempt of trying to grow them from seed. This year I ordered him two plants, which were delivered earlier on in the week.




Introducing Mikes stupid hot chillies 2014 'Bhut Jolokia' which were ordered from the lovely people at Victoriana Nursery  . I placed an order back in January could have been Feb but it was several months back for these, some yellow fruiting raspberry canes, sea kale thongs & of all things a samphire plant.

The yellow raspberry canes are doing wonderfully well, they were posted out to me shortly after I ordered & I am due to receive the sea kale & samphire in May.

I was so impressed with the packing of Mikes chilli plants, they were posted in a small sturdy box which was filled with shredded newspaper. The plants were in moist compost wrapped in a sheet of newspaper. All of this is now residing in the compost bin. I potted up the chillies straight away into some coir pots. So now it all starts, wish me luck!

I am in a slight quandary , the sky is blue the sun is out & I could do with getting on with some potting up in the greenhouse. However there is a Miss Marple marathon on one of the TV channels. Mmmmm what to do, what to do. The garden however has been weeded into an inch of it's life.  Enjoy your day. xx

18 comments:

  1. Do the gardening, and watch Miss Marple on Catch-up TV or whatever!
    You know I am keen on growing chillis, so I will be interested to see how you (and Mike) get on. It is a very addictive hobby. I don't enjoy eating the super-hot chillis, but I must admit that many of them are fabulous to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did both, bits at a time. I must say that Mike is rather excited about his chilli plants, he checks on them each evening. Your right about the shapes of the chillies, some are very unique looking.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your chillies and have a lovely Easter. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should grow chillies as houseplants - do they like a south facing window :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think they would like that very much Sue, I do believe you can get smaller plants with tiny multi coloured chillies on.They would be fun.

      Delete
  4. I don't like chillies so don't grow them. I agree with Mark, the garden over the TV every time. Thanks, you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like them though I'm not keen to try the ones Mike has chosen, in fact I won't be trying them. In the end I did both.

      Delete
  5. My rule of thumb is grow everything twice and if after that I don’t like it then move on to something new. Think I will give chilies a try next year so I will be paying close attention to your chili updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice Doc, I shall make sure there are plenty of updates for you.

      Delete
  6. I sometimes grow chillies in my porch but only the mild ones for me. Have a lovely Easter weekend. Interested to see how your seakale and samphire do when they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the milder ones for cooking myself, god knows what Mike is trying to prove but it is all fun, I can't wait for the other things to arrive. Have a great Easter.

      Delete
  7. The garden while the sun shines, Marple when it's cold and wet. I think chillies might be one of those inexplicable man things, a bit like barbequing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did both whilst dealing with a sick child. The stupid hot chillies are definitely a male thing.

      Delete
  8. I love chillies. This season I'm growing more than 10 varieties of chilli peppers. 'Bhut jolokia' is one seed variety that I have ordered, but haven't sowed yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use them in a lot of dishes Endah, 10 varieties wow I will definitely try a few more next year. I can't wait to see how you get on with the 'Bhut Jolokia.

      Delete
  9. This is awesome! I hope you all get an awesome crop of chillies!!!! My pop grows them and then throws them on the grill stuffed with so many yummy things! A wonderful weekend to you! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Padron chillies are ideal for throwing on the grill. I like to place them on skewers & put them on the BBQ. Have a happy Easter.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.