Thursday, 17 April 2014

Gardening advice

Now my dad has moved into his care home & is happy there, & I really can't explain what a relief that is. Him being happy that is, unfortunately my father is of the attitude 'if he isn't happy then everyone else shall suffer'. The fact we can visit him & actually have a proper conversation with him & to see him interact with people, well I'm sure you can imagine the amount of stress that has been lifted.

I digress, yesterday I was going through old papers & such like at my parents house. I came across old agreements, references, savings booklets & photographs mainly from the 30's. Very interesting they were too. I then came across a selection of newspaper cuttings from the 70's. Mike & I both left my parents house yesterday with the car full with these old papers, my dad's old tools (for Mike) & some old ornaments my mum gave me.
My granddad was a nurseryman. As the story is told he was on the verge of buying a large farm close by to where I now live & in partnership with a friend to build a nursery of his own on the site. The deal never came off as his friend pulled out at the last minute & my granddad had to let it go as he couldn't afford to continue on his own. As it happens there is a successful nursery opposite to the land my granddad was going to buy.

Many moons ago my granddad used to enter the local gardening competitions & more often than not he used to win them. Here he is pictured on August 12th 1976  after winning the councils first 'Best Garden' competition with a prize of £20.

'Mr Lewis' interest in gardening dates back to the depression when he left Mardy to work on the land at Sealand Manor.
His garden, a blaze of colour, combines flowers and vegetables. He blamed the dry weather for the slightly scorched look of his lawn and said his potato crop had suffered through lack of rain."

My granddad died in 1985 so I never had any gardening advice from him as I was 11 at the time but in the article he leaves this advice which I shall share with you all -

" He has this advice to householders who want to improve their gardens: ' You must be interested in the land. Never hesitate to ask advice from anyone who is a better gardener than you. There is no mystery about gardening, it is just common sense."

I wonder what he would have thought about this blogging lark, enjoy your day. xx

26 comments:

  1. What a wonderful slice of family history - and such great advice. I bet he would have loved blogging - sharing and receiving advice with so many other gardeners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many things amongst the papers I found. Insurance documents, old passports, references all sorts of things. It was fascinating to go through them. I like to think that he would have enjoyed blogging.

      Delete
  2. Oh Joanne what a wonderful find. From someone who has researched my family history to have such treasures are priceless. Keep them safe and remember one day your great grand children will be looking at them. Glad your father is settled I never had to go through such a process with my own parents but having worked in that area years ago I can only imagine the stress you went through. At least now you can be happy in the knowledge that it was the right decision and enjoy your time with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased to find them, so may different things amongst the papers. A huge relief that my father is settled & the nurses & carers there are fantastic, we couldn't have wished for better.

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading about your family. Such a smart person interested in gardening! Great! He has made all for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was such a lovely find.

      Delete
  4. Gardening obviously runs in the genes. What a lovely article to have about your grandad, that's something to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to Jo but as currently stopped at me though my sister is starting to show an interest. Going through the papers I found my nan's father was a tailor so that's another interest.

      Delete
  5. A shame he couldn't realise his nursery dream, I bet he would have been a great gardening blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was, we always talk about it when we visit the nursery opposite to the land he was going to build his. From what I remember of him he never dwelled on what could have been. I imagine you could be right Sue.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful ..... and that explains where you get your wonderfully green fingers from.

    I'm so glad that your Dad is finally happy and that you can now breath a sigh of relief and carry on with your lives again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy I found them, I'm sure they still run similar competitions you know, if they do I shall enter next year. A huge relief, we look forward to visiting him now & taking him his apple turnovers.

      Delete
  7. A lovely, if slightly poignant, post. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike, it was lovely to find the collection of cuttings & photographs.

      Delete
  8. You are a 'green thumb' family! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do seem to be Endah , though it seems to have stopped at me for the moment.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Fabulous wasn't it, my dad had talked often about it over the years so it was wonderful to actually see it in print.

      Delete
  10. So very happy your dad is enjoying the care facility. Having gone through all this I can agree with you about it being such a relief. Your grandfather’s advice is right on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad the final choice we made was the right ones, such a difficult decision to make. Very sound advice I agree.

      Delete
  11. Lovely blog, I think your grand dad would have loved it because we all share every thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, do you know I rather think he would.

      Delete
  12. Oh how wonderful, I'm sure you will treasure these papers. And the advice is very sound. I'm so glad your father is happy in his new home. We've just installed a relative in a nursing home, it's a difficult thing. I hope you have a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, I kept on running outside to Mike each time I found something new. I hope it goes well with your relative I truly think we struck lucky with our final choice. The nurses & carers there are fantastic.

      Delete
  13. I'm so pleased to read your father is happy with his new home. That is just marvellous coming across the newspaper article and remembering your grandad as a nurseryman. It is lovely to think that you share the same interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there were several articles over the years, I suspect my nan cut them out so it is rather sweet & lovely.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.