Monday, 14 April 2014

Things to come




A single Asparagus spear! Actually there are a few more there but it was easier just to take a shot of this one. Unfortunately I can't pick any this year as the crowns were only planted about 18 months a go. I do hope they will throw more spears up, then as they die back the crowns will absorb the goodness & I should get to pick a few next year. I shall be giving them a good feed throughout the Summer & mulch the bed well during Autumn.

Look at my fantastic Rhubarb patch, I will be picking some at the weekend to make a crumble for after Easter lunch. I am so, so pleased with it. I moved three plants last year into a space behind the pond. To give it chance to settle in I didn't pick any & in return it has really settled down.

Potatoes just starting to push through the soil in the pots & after my compost rant the other week I find myself in the position of having to buy more. I found a bag of first earlies that I forget I had bought. These will be potted up over the next few days.

Last but not least look at my sour cherry tree, it is smothered with blossoms. I am already thinking ahead of cherries stored in brandy, dried sour cherry chocolates & Morello cherry jam. I need to remind my self that a tree full of blossom does not mean I will get any fruit. I am truly hoping & wishing though.

I can't undo what I did when I removed the photo images from my past posts. I can however update each post manually so the photographs re appear. Thank you for all your comments though , you did make me feel slightly less stupid.

Enjoy your day, crochet blanket post tomorrow :)

23 comments:

  1. I hope that you can work out the photo thing in time. All of your different plants growing and coming into bloom look great, you will really have a feast of a harvest on your hands as the year goes on. I bet that you can't wait to be able to start picking your asparagus next year, that is a real commitment to grow asparagus and then have to wait so long for a crop! Hope that you have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be worse I could have lost them completely. It is the second time we have attempted asparagus if it fails this time, it's for the high jump. xx

      Delete
  2. I do love all the signs of life at this time of year. Enjoy your rhubarb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it, I will, I'm counting down to tasting it.

      Delete
  3. Three rhubarb crumbles in the kitchen cooling as I type!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asparagus certainly puts your patience to the test! We still have rhubarb in the freezer from last year - it cropped just a the time Jane fell in ill and had to go into hospital, and since then she just hasn't fancied it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there Mark. It is the second time we have attempted it! That's a shame Jane doesn't enjoy Rhubarb any more.

      Delete
  5. It's so exciting when everything starts growing. My cherry tree doesn't look to have very much blossom this year, I'm not anticipating a huge harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very exciting, my cherry tree didn't last year Jo, & this Morello one never at all. I think I am due a harvest from it.

      Delete
  6. Everything in your garden seems to be doing well. We came home to lots of blossom on the pear tree so should be a bumper crop (if that's the right term) again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed. I have two pear trees but they haven't blossomed at the same time. It will be touch & go if we get any pears this year. Have a good week. xx

      Delete
  7. It's always a relief when foliage starts appearing above ground. I'm surprised that you can't sort out your missing photos by an easier method. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, I'm rather excited to see the flowers in the fruit patch coming through. I know it's a pain, but at least I haven't lost them, have a good week xx

      Delete
  8. It's always lovely to see thing springing into life isn't it.

    I have to plan where I can put an Asparagus bed, we've never been able to establish one before while we've been moving around, now we are here for good we can :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very exciting Sue, with the space you have now your asparagus bed could be huge. Have a good week, xx

      Delete
  9. Lovely post and thank you for sharing likewise I have to wait until next year to try my Asparagus as well wishing you a Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. Have a good week. xx

      Delete
  10. Your asparagus looks so stunning. I plan to grow asparagus in my garden. But I think it needs a long time, cause I grow it from seed. This week I prepare on sowing them. I hope I'm lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Endah, I wish you luck with yours. You will be in for a long haul but it will be worth it in the end. xx

      Delete
  11. Mmm, Morello cherries are SO delicious. I think I saw a little asparagus pushing up the other day. Not long now! I need to move my rhubarb as well, it's getting smothered in grass at the moment. Hope you have a good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are aren't they, + the sweet cherry tree has blossom on it also, so I'm hoping for a good crop. Have a good week. xx

      Delete
  12. Our veg gardens seem to be at the same phase! I have one spear from each asparagus plant. I had tiny plants from a nursery last year, I assume grown from seed, so that makes mine a year old. I'm also leaving mine for another year (unless several more spears miraculously appear!). It looks like it's going to be a good year for fruit down here but I really must find a spot for my spuds soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.