Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Tree Following April




My lovely Greengage tree breaking into leaf & blossom. I was so pleased to see the blossom this year as the tree was only planted last year. Please excuse Mikes area in the background :)

I thought I had taken a photograph of the trunk just to show how thin it is. I feel slightly guilty about growing my fruit trees in large pots. It feels a little too restrictive for them but they are well fed & watered & I prune them each year.

It isn't an old craggy tree just a baby really, there are no holes or marks on the bark. No interesting features yet but there is blossom. After all one of the most important things for a fruit tree.

I'm not expecting a huge harvest, in fact looking at the blossoms there wont be enough for a pot of jam. A taste of things to come though perhaps?

Time to invest in a different camera I think, my aim & shoot method is fine for shots of the garden but I'm really struggling with taking photos of my tree. Then again the weather was pretty dire trying to take the above photos!

Joining in with Lucy from Loose & Leafy  for this years Tree following Enjoy your day!

14 comments:

  1. Blossom .... beautiful to look at and the promise of tasty things to come :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm so excited. The pear tree is smothered in blossom. Hopefully a good year.

      Delete
  2. Lovely, I'm quite obsessed with fruit trees. I know exactly what you mean about keeping them in pots though, I always feel like they might be happier in the ground, but if there's no ground available it has to be a pot. Let's hope you have some fruit at the end of the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike thinks I'm obsessed with fruit trees, I suppose there are worse things though. I do feel a little sad for them but they are pampered.

      Delete
  3. What kind of fruit tree is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greengage. I hope I get some fruit I haven't tasted a greengage for years.

      Delete
  4. My plum tree has quite a bit of blossom, yet it's only a small tree, I'm hoping I get some fruit this year. I've been wondering about planting some of my container grown trees in the ground, though they don't seem to mind being in a pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I am pleased for you. I had a small plum harvest last year so hopefully I will this year too. If I had the space I would plant them in the ground. Mine do seem happy in their pots.

      Delete
  5. lovely post and thank you for sharing it a lovely tree

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good tree following post. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a greengage tree growing along a path near where I live. but I've only ever been aware of it in autumn. I'm wondering whether I'll be able to identify it without its fruit. I'll have to go on an explore and see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can 't see your photos..:-( glad your tree is blossoming well though. I am picturing it in my mind right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photo has gone but I am sure that your tree is well loved and cared for and I hope that it has lots of lovely fruit this and in years to come! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.