Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Where does the time go

Sometimes you feel so unbelievably busy & yet you can't explain what you have been too busy doing. That has been me for the past few days & I feel so dreadfully behind on my blog & your blogs. Yet without looking at the date I last posted I really don't think it was that long ago. I tried an exhausted catch up last night but that was just beyond me!

If I haven't been with the boys I have been in the garden. If I haven't been at home I've been visiting my dad or shopping. If I haven't been in work I've been planning for meetings while at home. The list goes on as I'm sure your busy lists do.

I did have a chuckle yesterday morning in work. Myself & a colleague were at a seminar, I was in my normal out of the office visiting another place attire of a grey wool suit & black heeled shoes. Trouser suit may I add as I was pulled back through the door by Mike that evening when I attempted to kick my shoes off & put my wellies on to cover the raspberry area with chipped bark. I was ordered upstairs to change into something more suitable for the garden, pfft it wasn't as if I was going to kneel in the bark! I digress. Everyone else at the seminar seemed rather serious, there was no chit chat between companies & no interaction. Normally I would quite happily go up to people, shake their hand, introduce myself & enquire on what company they are from. None of this yesterday, all of a sudden I felt very grown up does that happen to anyone else? It did make me chuckle because at forty, with a nearly paid off mortgage, kids, garden & a dad in a care home & & & I can knit, sew & crochet I'm pretty sure I am a grown up! I was however rather taken by a cardigan a lady from another company was wearing. A rather pretty multicoloured thing with sequins, I kept on gazing at it trying to work out if it was hand knitted or not. Anyway I have babbled on about complete and utter rubbish so I had best get back to showing you what I have been up to for the past few days!

Do you like my sticks for the beans & peas this year, rather fancy don't you think. I haven't planted them yet.they are still in the greenhouse.  Also see the contraption to the side of the top photo that is for my runner beans. It can't tell you nearly how many times I got myself wrapped up in the thing trying to put it up myself until Mike helped me.  The bottom wigwams are for my sweet peas.
A nicely barked raspberry area even if I do say so myself.

We have ordered new gravel for the paths by the veg beds, I wanted slate like we already have in place but they only offer it in rather large chunks now. We could of bought the size I wanted in small bags but that would have nearly tripled the cost as we wanted a ton of it. I spotted a rather nice pinky gravel instead with mixed stones which the nice man delivered yesterday.  That's Mikes job at the weekend, the bark was mine which incidentally I now need more of for the other raspberry bed. Enjoy your day

34 comments:

  1. Garden is looking great and reflects the work you have put into it, its a busy time of year you have to take advantage of fair weather when we get it.
    I am often told off for slipping on wellies while I am in work clothes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I'm rather pleased with it but I do need to get round to painting the fences. I'm always getting told off.

      Delete
  2. Make yourself free at times else you will feel bored. Your changes in garden looks good. Nice to see the fancy sticks for the beans and peas.

    It happened to visit your blog. I'm very much impressed and enjoyed reading your posts and pictures. I'm following your blog now to come back to your site again. I'm glad to invite you to visit my blog, leave your valuable comments and follow my blog at "Join this site"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather fancy aren't they, just the kind I wanted. I already follow your blog :)

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean. During the week I usually get home exhausted after my work, and I don't have the energy to do very much, so most of my blogging and gardening is done at the weekend. The Scheduled Posting facility in Blogger is a godsend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time races away so quickly doesn't it. I've used the scheduled posting before Mark but then I forget to go back & respond to comments.

      Delete
  4. Its not just hours, gays, weeks and months that disappear. I'm at the stage where years do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back at the past week I wish I actually had something to show for it. It just seems to be a full on rush at the moment + Mike is nights for a couple of weeks so that really piles on the work for me.

      Delete
  5. I seem to be rushing around doing lots of things that aren't on the list, so I never get to the things on the list. Maybe it's something to do with the planets. I have great hopes for the rest of the week! It does sound like you're accomplishing lots though, even if you still have plenty to do. All of your sticks looks lovely, I do like the garden at this time of year. I love the bark area under your raspberries, it's very neat. I've gone for long grass, dandelions, frogs and stinging nettles. I find it livens up the raspberry picking no end. Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, blaming it on the planets. My sticks are fab aren't they, I am ever so pleased with them. It is the neatest it has been since the last lot of bark went down several years back. I had a similar look to you then but add goosegrass & bindweed into the mix. I didn't have frogs though.

      Delete
  6. I don't know how you manage everything you do, I don't work and I still run out of time, I just don't know how I juggled everything when I did work. Your garden is looking very spick and span, I love the barked area under the raspberries, it makes it look so tidy. The poles for your peas and beans are great, I'd like something other than bamboo, but aesthetics aren't really essential on an allotment, it would be a different matter if my veg bed was in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a minor whine on my part, Rob is back at uni next week so that should ease the work load but then Mike is nights which only increases it! I'm ever so pleased with it, I can't wait for Mike to level the paths & put the new gravel down. My sticks are lovely aren't they. They were about £2 more than bamboo canes which I needed as I didn't have any long enough.

      Delete
  7. Love the bean support.. Having struggled for some time with just a wigwam in that concertina stuff I can just imagine what a challenge it is to put up. Be worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely aren't they I pounced on them when I spotted them . Mike eyed me with a knowing look when I assured him I could manage on my own. Only took about 5 mins of attempting to put it up by myself before I bellowed for help.

      Delete
  8. OH you are a busy gardener Jo - and everything is looking so neat and tidy - and healthy, which is the main thing! Thank you for your visit to mine and for becoming my latest follower!
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been busy yes & thank you I am trying hard to be a neater gardener this year. My pleasure & thank you for following me, you're my 100 follower I feel like a real blogger now.

      Delete
  9. Unfortunately life tends to get in the way of blogging when you're busy, as you obviously are.
    The garden is looking good. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it does I am hoping for things to calm down soon. Thank you, I am quite surprised by how neat it is looking, I can't wait for Mike to put the gravel down so I can finalise my fence colour choice.

      Delete
  10. I suppose we all have to grow up sometime. I can remember being 30 and thinking people would have to take note of what I said now because I had reached 30. I felt very grown up at 40 and now at 51 I have decided to grow old disgracefully and when it suits I can be a belligerent old bat which I blame on my hormones. On the other hand I look in the mirror and think what's my mum doing in there looking at me only to discover it is in fact me, trouble being that in my head I', still only in my late 20's to 30's. So maybe not quite grown up yet then:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only when I sit back & look round & think 'Blimey I am a grown up'. I hope hoping to grow old disgracefully & wear lots of red patent shoes.

      Delete
  11. Lovely update Jo love your supports for the beans and peas have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda & my supports are lovely aren't they, I am ever so pleased with them. You have a good weekend yourself.

      Delete
  12. Joanne your garden looks so well organized. I love your pea and bean supports, they look so much nicer than the bog standard bamboo canes. Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am trying hard this year to have a neat & tidy garden. Fab aren't they, so pleased when I spotted them . You have a good week too.

      Delete
  13. The garden calls so strongly at this time of year, doesn't it? Did you talk to the lady in the sparkly cardigan? I like that she choose to wear it at a rather dour meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed & in between the rain we have had some lovely sunny weather. I didn't she disappeared before I had chance, it was very pretty & brightened the place up.

      Delete
  14. I think we all know how that feels, the time bit that is. Your garden is look great so….

    And how good to get out of the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when Rob goes back to uni I might have more time to utilise. As old as he is I think he causes more work than his younger brother. It was yes, pity it wasn't at a more fun event. Never mind I'm out visiting staff tomorrow, I might wear something colourful to brighten the place up.

      Delete
  15. Never ending time on gardening. Your garden is really well organized

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am trying hard to be neat & tidy this year.

      Delete
  16. Well, when you add up all the time for baking, cooking, knitting, gardening, walking the dog, and work there is almost no time for breathing! But I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your'e right there! Some times I wish I just had more to show for it.

      Delete
  17. Gosh your raspberries look tidy! I think mine are planted too close together but too late to change that now; I hadn't thought of mulching with bark chips, that's a really good idea. Your busy times have been very productive and the garden is looking good, especially with the canes up. I wish I had your energy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased with how they look. I did make an effort & pulled out the straggly ones that weren't in a line. The bark finishes it off nicely. I'm pleased the canes are now up, it feels like a proper veg garden now & gives it a bit of structure.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.