Thursday, 17 July 2014

A posy & a swap

I spent more time than necessary in the garden the other evening as a ploy to keep me away from the housework! I had cleared the broad bean bed in readiness for the purple & white sprouting broccoli to be planted. I may get round to that this weekend but until then I have a lovely clean bed of soil.

I knew I had to clean the bathroom & hoover the stairs, landing & bedrooms & put the recycling out for collection, so naturally I put all of that off for a bit & collected myself a posy.

It contains = calendula, cosmos, dahlias, cornflowers, stocks, sweet peas, large daisy's, & some white frothy flowers amongst others. It was a pleasant half hour spent & surprisingly also contains a large amount of critters too!

I have joined a few swaps because I rather like making things & it keeps me quiet! I keep on forgetting to put the swaps up in my side bar. This latest one was organised by Lisa who also organized the stationary swap I took part in. Its a secret swap as in you send a handmade ornament to someone & someone else ends you one. I ambitiously decided to make two ornaments & finally decided on a stripy knitted Christmas stocking as I thought my limited skills would be up to it. They were until I sewed the seams together, lets say after much hair pulling it was the neatest they were going to be! I added a couple of extras to make up for the lack of sewing skills!

My efforts - there is a bag of chocolate coins in each stocking, one recipient in England the other in  New Zealand!

And I had a package back & it was fabulous -
This lovely package was sent by Kimberley all the way from New Zealand & I love it, ermmm the wrappers in the background contained some chocolate that Kimberley included. It actually lasted several hours before it was eaten, unfortunately it was eaten & I shared it before I took the photo! 

As always enjoy your day xx

31 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, the bouquet looks lovely. I gather endless ammount of sweetpeas and I love it! I also cleared the broad beans. It was a first year I grew it but thinking about the results, does it really make sense to grow such big plants for only few beans. I will have to think again before I plant it next year.
    Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, thank you I'm rather pleased with it. They do take rather a large amount of space for the beans you get back, I do think though they are one of the veg that you have to eat fresh from the garden. Hope you had a nice day too.

      Delete
  2. It's been a good year this year for broad beans for me, the best crop I've ever had I think and still picking - trouble is, I'm not sure what I did different or right! Love your posy and your swapsies too. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has for everyone, must be down to the weather! Mine were quite slow this year so I was more than happy with the harvest I had off them. Thanks, have a great weekend too! xx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous ! Well done eep exciting . I love what you both sent made xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really enjoyed taking part. xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful posy of flowers. What a great swap some lovely things. Our broad beans this years have been a delight, I intend to clear the bed today and use the space for turnips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I'm really pleased with them. It was a lovely swap to take part in, I do like Christmas! My broad beans were fab this year too, I was so pleased with them.

      Delete
  5. What lovely things you sent and received!! Swaps are lots of fun aren't they. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, yes huge fun. I was determined to take part in some this year.

      Delete
  6. I love your stockings. If I tried to make them they would come out looking like leg warmers (and that's being kind). Did you inhale those chocolates too? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The sewing of the sides was a bit iffy but the stockings themselves were easy enough to make. No I was very well behaved & shared with the boys, for once!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes, it was great taking part in it, I do like a swap.

      Delete
  8. Apart from Sweet Peas, I'm not picking any flowers from my garden at present. One of the reasons is that Jane won a "Year's supply of flowers" in a competition, so the house is usually already full of flowers. I think your posy is very attractive though, and so much better for being homemade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely prize to win too! Yes I'm pleased with it & the 'just plonked in effect' works well with some pickings from the garden!

      Delete
  9. That's a pretty posy. Swaps and the like are always fun.
    Thanks, and you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really pleased with it. I am aiming for a posy a week!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Endah, it contains a great sekection!

      Delete
  11. What a lovely post and posy thank you for sharing Jo and have a blessed week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christmas - how did that happen? - One a year is more than enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely flowers. I need to clean the bathroom too, but I did some watering outside today instead. I'm really hoping there are showers tonight and the allotment is watered for me. Otherwise I'll be doing that tomorrow. Instead of cleaning the bathroom. I love your Christmas stocking. Nice to be prepared! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your posy is beautiful Jo, and so lovely that it came from your own garden: and speaking of gardens, how much nicer to spend time out there surrounded by nature than be inside hoovering the stairs - no finger-pointing from here :) I hope your weekend is wonderful! xoJoy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely packages you each sent. The posy is very pretty, I think I'd rather hang out in the garden than clean any day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your cleaning philosophy ;) The posy is probably prettier to look at that a clean carpet anyway. I didn't realize Christmas swaps were already in full swing! I find that a little depressing as I'm looking forward to some summer holidays yet. Your stripey stocking is rather cute, and I'm sure was well received. Chocolate coins ... my two favourite things blended into one (money/chocolate) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such pretty flowers, great swaps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your posy is beautiful friend! What a stunning assortment of blooms you have there!! And great job on the ornament swap friend!! Wishing you a lovely weekend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your stocking looks great. Glad you liked your chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Jo, thank you for my lovely Christmas in July parcel, it arrived last week. Sorry for the delay in sending yours (you should have it now) but there was a hiccup. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful vase of flowers! I also love sweet peas. I don't have many flowers in my garden since we moved to our house. We mostly have vegetables in the raised beds and I have a few flowers planted in containers. Hopefully next year I'll have some for cutting. Joanne, you must have a lovely garden!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.