Sunday, 14 September 2014

Autumn greenhouse

It's quite hard getting back into this blogging lark after being away for a month or two.

I took a few snaps of the greenhouse the other day as within a few weeks we will be clearing it out ready to overwinter some of the outside plants.







Mikes chillies have done well, far too well actually. Looks like I will be having chilli jam on my toast instead of plum.

The cucumber is still fruiting, I wish the blinking thing would stop, miserable old trout that I am. Its only me that eats cucumber & quite frankly there is only so much you can eat or give away!

I am rather excited about the bottom photo though. The tomatillos have done rather well. The two plants in the greenhouse have scrambled all over the place & I think I have enough to make something nice next weekend!

I find myself child free today, Rob is back at uni, Harry is away & will be back in time for tea. My plans for this unexpected event I hear you ask - a trip to the garden centre NO, a trip to a place full of lovely yarny fabric type things again NO, lunch out its a NO again. My lovely Mike is replacing some skirting board in the dining room & then would like some help with removing a rather large bookcase from the landing & putting it in the dining room.

My only day off & he is also enquiring over the possibility of a cooked breakfast! I am taking very deep breaths. Enjoy your day xx

23 comments:

  1. Oh dear, keep breathing deeply, the bookcase will no doubt look lovely when it's in its new spot. The greenhouse is looking really productive. Good luck with all of those chillies! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The greenhouse crops have been great this year, bookcase will have to wait until next week as Mike has perched himself on a sofa to watch the football.

      Delete
  2. Tell him the price for assisting in the movement of the bookcase is a pub lunch :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I had a scone with jam, cream & a coffee when I persuaded him to let me have a look in a fabric shop.

      Delete
  3. Typical Sunday, my cucumbers have gone over and I have removed them. Just waiting for the chillies to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought my cucumber plant had stopped but it started again. Our chillies are well on their way but the tomatoes as usual have been late.

      Delete
  4. Lots of lovely produce in your greenhouse. Must be a good year for chillies, ours seem to have done well too. I've heard of tomatillos but have no idea what they're like, would be interested to know what you do with them. Good luck moving the bookcase.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookcase is staying where it is this week as the football is on. I'm making a mexican sauce type thing when I can find the book I saw the recipe in last year. Its the reason I wanted to grow them.

      Delete
  5. Our cucumbers weren't so good this year. But, they are making a last minute effort to redeem themselves. My friend Lyn is the only one in her household that eats cucumber, so she grows the baby ones.
    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad used to snip bits off & train it this way & that way when he used to grow them. He used to get over 50 from each plant, far too much. I plonk mine in & tie it as it goes. I tried the miniature ones last year & while I like the idea there were far too many!

      Delete
  6. Show him the frying pan! That cucumber looks ready to club you on the head,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike has his very own frying pan which I'm not allowed to use. I chucked his bacon & black pudding & shoved it in the oven with some tomatoes & mushrooms. It does doesn't it ! I've cut it now.

      Delete
  7. You don't have Mike trained well enough yet, Mick always cooks our breakfast on a weekend. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the tomatillos, something I've never grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Jo I need to try harder. He was persuaded to buy me a scone & some Christmasy fabric though. I will do a post on them soon after I have made the sauce.

      Delete
  8. Some extra training is required says me who waits on my husband and family hand and foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard not to wait on them, its like an automatic reaction!

      Delete
  9. Not having a greenhouse I read any post about them with just a touch of envy.
    I hope that you get to enjoy some of today, perhaps with a relaxing evening. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would be a little lost without it, I had a lovely day thank you.

      Delete
  10. Pity I do not live nearer as my daughter loves cucumber and could have helped you out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been happy to pass them on, I must admit the majority of them go to Mikes brothers children as they adore them too.

      Delete
  11. Joanne, nice tomatillos and peppers! I need to harvest mine. My cucumber didn't do well, I planted them next to the 15 squash and zucchini plants that got severely attacked by squash bugs. I got too busy and I couldn't keep up with the darn pests! Will you be making salsa verde with your tomatillos and peppers? Your veggies are looking great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes salsa verde, that's the sauce I just need to root out the book. It's a pity about the squash beetle, luckily it's a pest we don't suffer from here.

      Delete
  12. Your garden is really doing well this year. All look so stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.