Friday, 26 September 2014

Time of year

I can honestly say that autumn is my favourite time of year. Out of all the seasons I think autumn is the most unique. Hot, cold, sun, frost, hail, windy, rain, calm - you really don't know what you are going to get.

I like the first little tingle of the cold on my skin when I step outside. Not the normal chilly feeling when the sky is overcast, but the tingle you feel towards the end of September when there could be the threat of a slight frost, lovely! I like a good frost, at this time of year of course. A bad snap towards the end of spring can wipe out those carefully planted baby plants.. Not a good feeling at all.

It was my birthday yesterday, little old me 41 years old! I like getting older, one of my ambitions is to reach the age of 102. Each birthday takes me a little closer to that great age. I come from a long line of long lived relatives, I should get somewhere near it. I also come from a line of pessimistic, vindictive & just so unhappy not willing to make any changes, generally disagreeable people. I've been thinking of them lots lately & quite frankly its just a waste of life, to want to be that miserable & want to live that way - well its just shocking. My sister & I both work hard at making sure we don't turn out the same. Our children have been brought up with love, understanding & compassion. It makes such a difference!
Birthday flowers! My lovely Harry bought the two bunches you see at each end out of his own money along with a box of chocs.  I say out of his own money, each time Rob returns to uni Harry raids his room for any change he may have left. Rob leaves change on purpose hiding it around his room, on this occasion Harry collected £45!!!Rob bless his heart roared with laughter when I told him over the phone & said 'the little blighter can do without a birthday present this year, £45 blimey, how did I manage to leave that!' Rob has ordered something for me , something he said he thought long and hard about as he didn't know what to buy. It hasn't arrived yet but we  are used to getting a special card from the postman asking us to visit the sorting office when Rob first started sending things through the post. You know the ones, to pay the proper postage cost!!

The middle bouquet was an unexpected surprise, one that brought a tear to my eye, a knock on the door yesterday & I received it along with more chocolates. A gift from my brother, well it was actually addressed to aunt Jo from his dog!

I have been suffering from the most rotten cold lately, it really has wiped me out & I have been most fearful of it turning into a chest infection & then pneumonia. A third bout this year would see me in hospital for sure so I have been trying to take it easy & have been away from the office for a couple of weeks working from home. As my lovely 2nd in command may not be returning until after the 21st Oct I have taken the step of reverting back to two days off each week now, enough is enough!
I also seem to be suffering from an attempt of bullying, I can't stand bullying & unfairness & stamp down quite firmly with my size three feet. Small I might be, scared I'm not & the people involved seem to be peddling backwards as fast as they can, shame I am to quick for them. I shall certainly have some fun next week when I return to the office, I am most looking forward to it.

The lovely Mike was off yesterday & because I was working & ill we didn't go out anywhere. My lovely man cooked breakfast, lunch & dinner & brought me numerous cups of tea. We talked, we laughed, we made plans for the three of us to go out on Sunday. I stayed in my jim jams all day wrapped up in a quilt with my lap top on my knee. A most enjoyable day, even more so when Mike passed over his debit card & said pick what you want. Wool, books & baskets are winging their way over to me as I type. As always enjoy your day xx

22 comments:

  1. Wow, other than you feeling rotten what a great birthday, PJ day, shopping with other half's plastic and such a thoughtful dog. As for the bulling, I'm with you, I have a bully living next door to us, they feed on fear, so stand up to them! can't wait to see your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated happy birthday Joanne, get rid of that cold quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday, rotten luck having a cold for it though. It sounds as though you had a lovely day anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing what you bought with the plastic and also what's winging its way to you from Rob. What lovely flowers you received, they'll be making your house look very cheerful. One thing I can't stand is bullying so stand up for yourself, though it doesn't sounds as though you need me to tell you that, you're doing a good enough job on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a lovely day yesterday, Joanne - with hopefully many more to come! Wishing you better soon and fighting fit to fend off those work bullies! Let us know how you get on !! Have a lovely weekend, Caro x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely birthday you had! Sorry to hear you are poorly and even more sorry to hear about the bullying attempt, but it sounds like they picked on the wrong person :o) We have something similar going on- you just have to stand up to these people and put them firmly in their place. If any of it is written make sure you keep a record too, just in case you need it later.
    How lovely your boys got you prezzies. L is also adept at spending everyone else's money on presents, although I'm being unfair because this year he brought me something with his own money. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday and many more to come. Hope you are feeling better soon and too right stand up to the bullies. Some wonderful presents and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! You certainly were given some lovely flowers. I like autumn as well.
    Take care, and have a good weekend. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday for yesterday... you received some beautiful flowers. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, I'm not sure I want to live to 102 - it depends whether I'm still mobile and compos mentis - but I wish you a Happy Birthday anyway! Good luck with sorting out the Office Bully. Might be good to see on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday!
    Being sick on your birthday really sucks...so I'd ask for a do-over another day.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!!!! What wonderful flowers and gifts. So glad you had a lot of love showered on you. I am dreadfully sorry about the bullying although you sound as though you are rising above it and not getting too down, that is so horrible to have to deal with. I really hope that you can get a handle on it and stop things in their tracks. Keep going there my dear, you are a lovely person. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very happy happy birthday to you dear friend! I am so glad that you had special treats to bring in the new year!!! And I am with you on fall...one of my favorite times of year as well! Happy 41!!! Here is to 100 more...you have a wonderful attitude!!! Lovely weekend to you! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday for Thursday, yours is a week before mine as it happens. I don't think anyone here will be passing me their credit cards though, you have a very good man. Well done to you and your sister for choosing your own happier paths for you and your children. I'd quite like to live to 102 as well, it's a good age. Sorry about the bullying, it sounds horrible, I do hope you are able to stamp it out without delay. I hope you're better soon as well, it sounds quite nasty. I shall look forward to seeing what your mystery present is, how thoughtful he sounds. Have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated Happy Birthday to you and thank you so much for popping over to mine and leaving your sweet comment. Get those bullies sorted out! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to you, Jo! Wish you all the best!
    Lovely bouquets!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday, so lovely to be pampered on your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you have a great birthday - I'm far nearer to 102 than you are.

    My sister was a victim of workplace bullying and was made really ill from ot. Even over five years after having to quit her job the effects still linger

    The bully - her boss- in my opinion was jealous of her and saw her as a threat. She was more competent, efficient and well respected but lacked the paper qualifications. The trouble was that I only found out about it after the damage was done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You clearly know how to be under the weather in style ... jim jams and a shopping spree! But it's horrible to be unwell when its your birthday so small compensation really. Here's hoping you're back to full health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with you, I love this time of year. In fact, it's been so mild - I almost wish it would cool down a little so I can wear some woolens! Happy belated birthday to you, I hope you're feeling 100% by now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blimey! Took me ages to work out how to 'follow' you but I got there in the end. Lovely floral display and Happy Belated Birthday to you. Stamp out those bullies! Thanks so much for popping over to mine and leaving your sweet comments, Joanne. Much appreciated, x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sure I posted on here the other day?? anyway what lovely flowers and size 3 feet?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was a victim of systematic bullying in the workplace and understand the effects. Years down the line I still get flashbacks but hang in there and fight for your place x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.