Friday, 17 October 2014

I won't be around for the next two or three weeks unfortunately Mikes father passed away last night. Not totally unexpected but we didn't realise it would happen this soon. As devastated as he is is Mike is out making arrangements as I type, playing the big brother as he is with his youngest brother.

We spent a surreal few hours together this morning, Mike received a phone call at midnight along with his brother saying he needed to get to the hospital. Sadly they were minutes too late & his dad passed away just as Mike was running through the hospital to get to the ward, he was minutes behind his brother. They spent some time with their dad which was a comfort to them both.

The surreal part came when Mike returned home & we sat up together drinking coffee & watching Christmas movies. He insisted on opening one of the curtains in the sitting room as he recalls after his mum died she looked through the window. Mike believes in that sort of malarkey you see, he saw my granddad in his bedroom when he was younger after he died, many moons prior to us getting together that is. It was an interesting story when I put two & two together after our third date that his parents lived next door to my grandparents.

We have also inherited his dads dog. I told Mike last week if the lady who was looking after the dog was unable to keep him we would be having him. I couldn't see him shipped off to a dogs home, his dad rescued him as a puppy you see after he had seen him being mistreated. I don't think I can have any chickens though with him, I shall have to see!

 The staff on the ward have been absolutely fantastic with the boys over the past couple of weeks genuinely caring & concerned. I don't think you realise until you are in that situation just how hard they work & the whole range of skills they need. The chaps on the same ward have also been a good bunch, the boys are popping in this morning to say their goodbyes which I think is one of the sweetest things ever.

Anyway I shall return in a couple of weeks or so, once the hound has settled down & the funeral out of the way. I shall post some photos, of the dog that is! - I am busy googling pet insurance.

Thanks for your comments on my last post, you really are a super bunch - take care xx

24 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. My thoughts are with you all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad news, Jo. You made me feel all tearful about the dog- what a good woman you are. Hope Mike gets to see his dad, that must have been so hard for him just missing him like that. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sympathies. Take care. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big squishy hugs sent your way. All my best to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never easy, no matter how much expected, hope you can both be strong, life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very sad. My thoughts are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to read your sad news. Take care, all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are for you and your family. Glad to hear you took his dog in as it is a very confusing time for him as well. Our little Sophie was in the same predicament when we took her in. There will be a period of adjustment for both humans and dog but once they realize this is their forever home they settle right in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take care, give hubby loads of huggs,

    ReplyDelete
  10. My best wishes to you and your family, during this sad time.
    Take care of each other.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about this - I know how he must have felt as I remember a similar run through hospital corridors after a telephone call when my mum died and often relive it even though it was over 20 years ago now.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear your sad news, my thoughts are with you both. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Joanne, knowing just how you both feel my thoughts are with you. The nursing home didn't have enough time to let me know either, but for me that was a relief, I didn't think I could bear to watch Mum pass away.
    Take care of yourselves, and the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really sorry to hear your news, and I hope the next few weeks are not too painful for you all. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear this sad news. Thinking of you all and wishing you all the best with the dog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I add my condolences to those of others who have commented already. Mike will relish your support and companionship at this difficult time - so no telling him off for little misdemeanours for a while, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too wish to add my condolences. Such a sad time for all concerned, but I believe that having to make the arrangements help to numb feelings a little for a day or two. I know that you will all hep each other through this most difficult time. Eventually, happier times will come to mind and help to ease the loss. I know the dog will hae a caring home with you both.
    Sending {{Hugs}}Rose H
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also sending my condolences, Joanne. I have both my parents still but as they're both very elderly it's my worst fear to get that phone call. I imagine that however old you are, it's never easy to lose a parent. Caro xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thoughts are with you and your hubby at this difficult time. Hope all the arrangements go well and that the next few weeks aren't too draining. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry to read your sad news. My thoughts are with you and your family. I have lost both of my parents and the first week or so can be very busy and tiring and very unreal. I look forward to seeing you back in the blogosphere one day, but in the meantime, please be kind to yourselves; eat as well as you can and allow yourselves time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to read your bad news. But how lovely that Mike will have his Dad's dog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sorry to hear your sad news Joanne. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.