Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Wooly bits & bats

The beauty of having a birthday at the end of the garden season (to me, my garden is a summer pursuit) is I can purchase lots of wool & books to see me through autumn & winter with my birthday funds.

Also we are in the middle of Wool Week   which gave me the perfect excuse for some British wool buying - a selection of wool (10 balls to be exact) from Jamiesonsofshetland & Jamieson and Smith to have a go at some Fair Isle cuffs found here
 
I also added to my stash because -
A) I have an addiction, B) It makes me happy C) I used a discount code & D) It never actually cost me anything as it was birthday money!! Would you like a closer look?
A total of 18 balls of 4ply yarn in three shades. I have a super easy cardigan pattern for this wool. As it's 4 ply it is taking me yonks plus I'm a slow knitter anyway. I think I only have 5 more shades to buy then I will have the cardigan in every colour way, in about 23 years that is as I am still on the first cardigan! Three balls of red chunky yarn because I liked the look of it
Three balls of sparkly yarn with a book to crochet snowflakes & last but not least

a selection of nice yarn which I collect a few balls of each month for when I am a proper knitter. Hopefully by the time I have grandchildren which in all honesty is at least ten years away I shall have lots of this lovely stuff stashed away, possibly in the walls if Mike gets his mitts on it!

Would you like to hear a funny story - I had completed my wool & books buying purchase with birthday funds & further additions from Mike. I came across this post  for a cardigan knitted in an aran wool. Oh I thought I like that & naturally investigated shades. I decided on three shades & happily transferred funds out of my savings account into my current account. Except I actually transferred the money into Mikes savings account & he won't give it me back until next month to teach me a lesson!! I was too peeved to buy it after that!!

I shall be back later on in the week with my books, Mikes dad was taken to hospital at the weekend & Mike & his brother were both called in last night. Thankfully it wasn't as serious as first thought & he should be out by the weekend. I'm getting a little peeved at what this last 18 months has chucked our way but am being positive as I feel my posts are getting more & more morose of late & I am trying hard to be positive because in real life I am a positive person. I need to play catch up again. Enjoy your day all xx

20 comments:

  1. This is a blog post worth drooling over, all that delicious yarn and such gorgeous colours. You did very well with your birthday money. I had to laugh at Mike impounding your wool money, at least you'll get it back next month and then you can start spending again. Sorry to hear about Mike's dad, I hope he's on the road to recovery soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a fine stash lady. Looking forward to seeing your projects. I have quite a big stash too, but as I'm off to the Knitting and Stitching show tomorrow i fear it may be increasing soon.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful stash, some gorgeous yarns and delightful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd with-hold all wifely related things until the money was returned and the wool purchased if I were you, Jo :o)

    I got all my wool out over the weekend and keep looking at it wondering when it'll be cold enough to start knitting again! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday. Your wool is really nice and I am sure you will have a wonderful time this fall and winter with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about Mike's dad, I do hope all is well soon. I hope you had a good birthday, that's some very lovely yarn, fancy it being wool week! My birthday is at this time of year as well, I've always liked it being in October and I often ask for a voucher for things like fabric that I can make things with over the winter. I'm laughing at your transfer of essential wool money into Mike's account. I hope he's giving you a good rate of interest. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday first of all!! I love all your yarny purchases, such pretty colours and you are definitely set for winter knitting and crocheting and general crafting now! Sorry to hear about Mikes Dad, I hope that all is well and that he is released and well again soon. Don't worry about being morose, for one thing I don't think you are, and for another these things happen, you don't have these things occur deliberately, you are just sharing the normal things of life! Sorry though that you have had such a grotty time, I really do hope that things improve very soon, and that Mike gives your money back!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure that you won't do that with your money again!
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jo that did make me chuckle you'll have to tell Mike that if you have to wait you'll want it back with interest. Hope Mike's dad is ok. Very lovely wool by the way. I used Sublime for my University blanket.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a lovely birthday. All that yarn looks so good, I especially like the colours you've chosen for the Fair Isle cuffs. Hope that Mike's dad is making a good recovery. Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooh happy birthday and what lovely woolly loot, that should certainly keep you occupied.
    Naughty Mike!
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you are going to have a busy winter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All that yarn - how lovely! I too had a birthday this week, and for the first time in years didn't buy any yarn with my birthday money because I have several collections of it waiting to be made into things (doesn't usually stop me!). I made some of Lucy's (Attic 24) snowflakes last year and was pleased with how they turned out. Happy knitting and crocheting! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. hope you had a lovely birthday. i falling in love with your wool.
    the colours are sooooooooooooooo beautiful.I have that book,too.it's wonderful.
    happy knitting,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have lots of lovely yarn colours. A good task coming up to the colder months.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely colours. I also I a wool pile waiting for my attention. I hope you had a lovely birthday.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was sure I commented on this post...oh well...anyway I love wool and you certainly have some wonderful ones here. It seems so long since I picked up my knitting needles that I actually long for the miserable weather sometimes....I usually get sick of it pretty quick though!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think wool is such a great way to spend birthday money - you never have to justify the cost to anyone, you can just splurge and enjoy. I hope you have fun turning all those balls of yarn into something beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry to hear about Mike's dad. I hope you get your money back soon - I believe interest rates are about 25% these days
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sooooooooooooo much gorgeous yarn! Happy Birthday (I've just had my birthday too ;) )

    We too have had a tough time the last couple of years and finding the balance re. what to mention on the blog and what not is difficult I know, so I do understand your thoughts on that. Fingers crossed for Mike's dad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.