Thursday, 13 November 2014

A lonely homegrown pumpkin

My one & only pumpkin, it looks green in the above shot but I can assure you it is a rather lovely pale shade of blue. I think it was called Blue Hubbard & perhaps without my neglect it would prove more productive. Out of the three plants this was the only harvest.

It is a little scratched & a tad warty (aren't we all)! , but I plan to do something special with it. My first idea of handmade pasta filled with pumpkin & sage drizzled with butter is a no no.

Mike discovered he was lactose intolerant last year & while he his not as badly affected as other sufferers, butter is a big no no. He has lactose free milk & cream which I find agreeable, the butter substitute however is not good + I am quite unsure where the pasta machine is currently hiding.

If I am to make something from such a handsome pumpkin it has to be perfect. I suspect I shall roast some of it with some spices as a side dish. I could perhaps have some in a curry & I'm sure if I have seen a bread recipe somewhere.

In all honesty I shall probably leave it whole until Rob returns from uni next month, ones thing for sure it wont be turned into soup. Enjoy your day xx

16 comments:

  1. What a cute looking pumpkin, definatly deserves a special recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What joy your 1st harvest, enjoy your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew one solitary blue squash this year as well (a Crown Prince I think), which is fairly small for a Crown Prince. I'm saving it for something special too, so I'll be interested to see what you decide on in the end. I find squashes quite tricky. I had five or six ukichi kuri ones, but none of them were prolific. There's always next year though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these little pumpkins I keep seeing them at our farm shop but I'm never sure what to do with them and if I'm honest some of them just look to nice to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly an unusual looking pumpkin deserves to become something special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't eat butter either- I have sunflower pure which does the job and is good for cooking with too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like all pumpkin and squashes, I have my seeds ready for the spring, some will be going in the front and trained around the edge of the garden. They make wonderful weed suppressors with their big leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Squash are good in a tagine too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy whatever you end up making with it. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's wrong with Pumpkin soup? I make a good version of it with chicken stock and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a corker and such a delicate hue. My friend dropped in a small squash for me the other day. I think I may curry it.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would never have guessed that was a pumpkin!! What's wrong with some soup?? I love pumpkin soup!!

    Will you roast the seeds for snacks??

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sure that however you cook and eat it, it will be wonderful because you grew it yourself! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the name of your blog btw!
    Scratched and warty seems a fair description of most of us at a certain age I think! Whatever you decide to do with it ... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pumpkin is very sweet. I love the color of it, I've never seen one like that before.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.