Saturday, 15 November 2014

Do you want to squeeze it Mike?

Te he, what a way to get your attention. Now I am always extraordinarily proud of anything I make & grow. It surprises me each time I harvest or finish something that little old me could do such a thing. It also gives me a huge amount of satisfaction.

I have made & completed the above stocking for my sister for Christmas. Isn't it beautiful? I bought this magazine last year. I wanted to make the quilt on the front cover & bought a selection of material. Well you all now how my summer panned out so that didn't happen. There were quite a few things I wanted to make from the magazine & when I saw the above pattern I knew I wanted to make it for my sister.

The patterns in the magazine needed to be increased in size which was beyond my printers capabilities & quite possibly mine! So I bought a stocking pattern & cut the pieces out approx two months ago & em sort of left them.

Two days ago I thought I really had to get a move on as I knew my sister would love to have a stocking full of little gifts this Christmas. Could I find the magazine anywhere? No I couldn't, I had a good memory of what the design would look like & with a little jiggery pokery I finished it.

As I said I am always pleased when I have made something & when Mike returned from work I eagerly set upon him.

'Look Michael, I've finished it', 'Oh yes, I see, very good', 'Is that it, is that all you can say', ' What do you want me to say, it's very good Sue will love it', 'Would you like to feel it Michael, give it a squeeze, it's padded I quilted it'! So on & so forth as I followed the poor man around the house.

The conversation finished with the words ( quite possibly an hour later|) 'For Christ sake Joanne put the thing down, you will wear holes in it'

P.S when I say fill the stocking I don't quite mean to the top it is rather large. There will be a few nice gifts in there for her which I have picked up over the past few months. I just need to buy a mug & replace the chocolate Gruffalo which I ate the other day. I shall leave you with a close up of Rudolph. Enjoy your day all xx





20 comments:

  1. Lovely thought - clever you. I hope that your sister doesn't read your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks smashing. You did make me laugh with your tale of following your husband around, I'm much the same I'm afraid. Funny how they don't get as excited as us with craft.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same happens in our house, poor hubby tries to say the right words just to get rid of me. Love your stitching and so will your sister, my daughters still have their childhood stockings which come out each year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely post as always...
    Love your stitching...

    thanks for sharing.
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fill stockings for Fran, James, Cerys and the grands every year. The stockings are returned in the new year and put away with wrapping paper and sellotape, that way panic is avoided when it is time to dig them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always make me laugh!! You did a lovely piece of quilted work in that stocking! I'm sure your sister will be thrilled with it ... never buy the chocolates too early (I've learned that if I don't eat them, the dog surely will!). I made the mistake of making my two kids HUGE stockings, which looked really amazing on Christmas morning with a big toy peeking out the top. But now that they're older and all I want to put in their stockings are things like gift cards and socks ... there's a lot of vacant space in there and looks like I really didn't try very hard. My husband doesn't give my hard work the comments they deserve either. "Nice" and "looks good" just don't cut it when you've spent hours on the piece and envisioned how everyone will shower praise on you for a beautiful piece of work. Have a great weekend!! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA! You cracked me up with this one! I can just picture a guy saying that!! But my goodness!!!! I would be carrying it around too!! It is absolutely beautiful! Way to go on this stocking!!! I can understand why you are so proud of it!! Your sister will love it!!!! Happy weekend dear friend! Nicole xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, I'm sure that she'll love it! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely idea! It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A real delight, I am sure she will love it. I was smiling about following hubby around and the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really is a lovely gift. I really did laugh when I thought of you hounding Mike over your latest accomplishment...it's those sorts of conversations which inspired my Hubby to design me a blog!! I can't believe you ate your sisters gruffalo...at least you have time to buy another though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's fabulous, you're very clever making such a beautiful thing. I'm hoping to learn to sew in the new year, well, I'm going to give it a go anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's brilliant. I don't ever expect compliments from the other half here, I know there won't be any. The littest boy is always very kind about things though, which more than makes up for it. I'm laughing about the chocolate Gruffalo, maybe you should get a few this time... CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is gorgeous!! Men just don't get these things do they! Your sister will though I am sure and she will love it, new chocolate gruffalo and all!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That gave me a huge giggle!!
    Jane x
    PS Are husbands from another planet???

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your sister will love it! That magazine looks a good find.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Men are definitely from Mars :o) Love the stocking, more gruffalo choccies next time so you're not eating the presents! Have a great week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well thats a beautiful stocking.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Firstly, great stocking, and quilted too! (Quilting is a mystery to me).
    Secondly hahahaaaaa at the conversation between you and your OH, sounds exactly like our house, I count myself lucky if hubby gives a grunt when I show him the latest work of Art :)
    Thanks for visiting me earlier, I couldn't remember if you'd popped by before, but thanks either way!!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your kind comment on my journal .
    Your Christmas Stocking is beautiful !
    Tomorrow..... I make the Holly Wreath for front door ...red ribbon ......germolene and bandages at the ready : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.