Monday, 17 November 2014

Monday mornings

I do like a Monday morning, only the hound & I in the house. The beds have been stripped & the washing machine is on. The house needs a good dusting mind but I shall get to that later!

There is something bugging me though, I'm pretty sure a pigeon has fallen down the chimney or a collard dove as there is some sort of deranged cooing sound going on!

Anyway back to my Monday I'm pondering next years plantings. Not the veg ones mind as I'm going down the baby plant delivery route next year. Mike is taking over the greenhouse, he has taken a lot of interest in the greenhouse this year so I'm leaving that up to him. He has bought a sulphur candle for it & some cleaning solution.

Anyway my thoughts are more towards flowers & other garden pretties. For some reason I can't get the idea of white snapdragons out of my head. So I plan on having a block of them in my cut flower patch.
I'm planning on taking an aerial shot of the plot each month, no time like the present so here is November 2014 which admittedly looks bleak.

There is more to the garden but short of tying my legs to the radiator I was most reluctant to lean out any further. Mike is much more taller than me perhaps he can take next months shot for me!

So what can we see, the fruit bush plot to the left. I removed a red current & white current bush the other month. I have some yellow raspberry canes to the side of this bed & I really struggled to get to them, I have one red current, two black currents & two gooseberries left now. I cut the alpine strawberries & the asparagus back & lifted the dahlias. The sea kale has disappeared hopefully underground or the slugs, snails &/or pixies ate it under the cover of the cosmos forest of summer.

From what you can see of the main veg bed, it's all empty apart from some apples for the blackbirds & thrushes. It's snoozing for the winter we shall say politely! Raspberry canes to the back which have been most rampant this year & have already been snipped back. I shall cut them right down in January & tradition I like, to me it signals the start of the year.

The rest is out of shot so we shall leave that for now, I've rambled enough for today. Enjoy your day all xx

Ps It wasn't a stuck pigeon, upon further investigation I traced the noise to Harry's room. The pump on his goldfish tank is blocked, as it seems to be a bit of an icky job I shall lave it to Mike to sort out this evening.


20 comments:

  1. It will be nice to see how your garden grows through the coming year! It will be a good diary for you as well. I am glad that the sound wasn't a bird, at least the fish tank should be easier to sort out, and far less flapping!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it wasn't a pigeon. Great idea taking an aerial shot each month.

    X z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness it wasn't a pigeon!! I do hate having to track down unexplained noises :-(

    You're very organised with your garden planning, you're putting me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'll be good to see how it changes and progresses through the year. I like snapdragons but not seen any for a long time.
    Good to see that it wasn't a trapped bird.
    Have a good week. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing the developments as the year goes on. And you've answered a question I had about when to cut my raspberry canes back - new year it shall be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am glad it wasn't a pigeon. As I type I look at the open pages of the seed catalogue that I have recently been browsing and guess what? It;s open showing white antirrhinum - Royal Bride that I was pondering maybe using in my white and blue border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Compared to things here, your garden looks very green! Looking forward to the progress photos with the flowers etc. So glad you don't have a pigeon in your chimney! We had a raccoon in ours in spring (BIG). Have a great day! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see your garden as resting and gaining strength for next year, I love yellow and or white flowers, not grown snapdragons for years! As for the pump, yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The moths will love you for the addition of white snap-dragons (or any white flower because they can see them more easily at night and pollinate them for you). The beds look very smart for November :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very relieved it wasn't a stuck pigeon. It will be lovely to follow your garden via aerial photos, a good way to see the transformation over the spring and summer months. Have a good week Joanne. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad it wasn't a pigeon. I once had four baby starlings stuck in our chimney. We rescued them and named them ,Filthy,Dirty,Sooty and Smudge.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of doing an aerial view of the garden! I would like to do that!!! SO glad that the sound was just the pump!! Happy Monday! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the sound of all your fruit bushes and white snapdragons are lovely, I grew some from seed last year but then left it too late to plant them out so they became too leggy. Glad you didn't have a stuck pigeon, hope the fish tank gets sorted xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a good time of year to pour through the seed catalogues and decide what you want to grow next year. I'm fond of white flowers, one of my favourites is cosmos Purity but I'm sure snapdragons will look very pretty. Glad to hear that it wasn't a pigeon. We used to keep fish, goldfish, tropical and marine and there were always strange noises which I couldn't trace which turned out to be one of the pumps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shot! You still have green color on your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your plan of photographing the garden each month. I'm glad you figured out what the noise was; I was going to tell you not to light a fire until you worked it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you "economise" on the veg, I shall nag you! Flowers are all very well, but.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely to take aerial photos of your garden - I'll look forward to seeing how it changes throughout the year :) White snapdragons sound magical - I had a mixture of coloured ones this year and they were gorgeous. Happy gardening!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely idea to take pictures from above and watch your garden grow each week! Your idea for white snapdragons sounds so pretty. I'm glad it wasn't a poor trapped pigeon after all!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. That it was a noisy pump sounds far less exotic than a pigeon, but having had a blackbird stuck in our chimney, a blackbird which eventually released itself and proceeded to wreak havoc in our living room, I think you got the better deal :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.