Thursday, 6 November 2014

Tentative plans


Thank you all so so much for your lovely messages on my last post. Mike was rather touched when I told him about the comments left so I thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

The funeral was a pleasant affair, well as pleasant as they can be! Mike, his two brothers & a nephew wanted to carry the coffin in & out of the church & the rest of the funeral party to follow. It's what they did with their mum many years ago.

I walked down the aisle with Harry & an elderly niece of Mikes dad. An absolutely lovely woman, if you could choose your parents I would have picked this woman like a shot! Anyway imagine the scene if you will a short lady in her earlier 40's dressed in black, holding the hand of a teenager & her other arm linked through an elderly ladies. Walking gracefully & respectfully in a line with the other close family members.

Now I was doing my level best to make sure Harry & the elderly niece were ok it was after all a sad occasion. I wasn't keeping too close an eye on the floor of the church you see & didn't notice the grid until I walked over it & felt the heel of my shoe squeeze through one of the holes rather too tightly for my liking!

In a split second I felt horror, despair ,why the heck did I have court shoes on my feet & not proper heels, trying to remember if they were expensive shoes as one would have to be left behind, how was I going to warn the mourners behind me, should I let go of Harry & elderly niece to try & retrieve said shoe, how would I hobble gracefully & respectfully down the aisle with one shoe on my foot or should I really set the scene & kick my remaining shoe off! Split second passed by & I raised my foot up & thankfully my shoe came out with it. I shall remember that sensation for the rest of my life & the snorts of laughter it brought afterwards.

The hound has settled in well, he came with his own crochet blanket!  I do have photos to show you but after a big tidy up the other day I have misplaced my camera. I am yet to download the latest batch of photos so you are stuck with the one at the top of this post.

We had a big garden clear up & I took a couple of shots from my bedroom window to show you how bare my garden is looking now. It's quite a nice feeling knowing that the garden is ready for next year & I have the the winter to make plans.

I have a couple of days off so am treating myself to some Christmas crafting, the heating is on the hound is snoozing on his blanket, a candle is lit & Christmas movies are on the TV, As always enjoy your day xx

17 comments:

  1. Glad all went well, and that you averted a shoe disaster! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shouldn't laugh about somebodies misfortune, but getting your shoe stuck did make me smile that will remain with you for many years to come and bring back some happy memories of a very sad occasion. Have a great crafting day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must have missed the post, sorry to hear your news, your shoe incident did make me smile, Enjoy your few days preparing for christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear all went well (and that you didn't end up dragging that grid along with you!). Sounds like you're making the most of your little break. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss friend......and I am glad that you have some time to sit back and craft for a bit. You all take care....Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you posting again, and I hope that life settles down again now for you.
    I'm sure that you'll be planning and thinking about next year's growing season. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't popped in for a while, and had quite a lot of catching up to do with you! I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's father. Lots of adjustments to make when a parent passes on. It's so really, really nice that you made sure his dog had a good home with you, as I'm sure the poor pup is his owner. I'm glad to hear you're letting others in your office know you won't stand for bullying! And I hope you're feeling better after your cold. I've so enjoyed reading back through your posts Joanne, you have a marvelous story-telling quality. You also have a wonderful family around you that seem to keep you all laughing and enjoying life. Have a great day ... love the laundry shadows on your garden ;) Wendy xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a bit odd how sometimes funerals can be almost pleasant. They do have a habit of bringing a family closer, or back together if necessary.
    Glad you coped OK with the "Footwear malfunction"...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy that everything went well and so glad to hear that said hound is settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad it went well and you came away with both shoes intact

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad it all went off okay, and that your shoe didn't stick. Enjoy your days off. I could do with a couple of days crochet with the heating on as well. We're still holding off, but it's chilly now. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely blog i saw you thrue other blogger...nice posts to read...blessings ❤

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joanne,

    So sorry to hear your sad news. Even when it is expected it still comes as a shock. As you may know I work in children's oncology and when one of our little ones grows their wings the nurses always open the window so they can fly. I always think this is a nice thought at such a terrible time and when my time comes I will definitely telling my gang to make sure the window is open...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you have a couple of days off to catch your breath. Take care of yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is amazing how these things happen to raise a laugh at times like this, a reminder that life goes on and that there is still fun and laughter to be had I think. I am glad that the funeral went as well as it could and that the dog is settling in well. I know that it has been a rotten year for you in some ways - well, many ways - so I really do hope that the rest of 2014 will be more restful and that you will have some peaceful family times with Mike and your brood and that 2015 will bring only good things. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did chuckle over your shoe story...glad it ended Ok..lol

    The garden looks ready for it's winter sllep...my definitely doesn't look this tidy yet!!

    Glad the hound has settled well....Christmas movies??? a little early isn't it??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.