Monday, 8 December 2014

Is anyone feeling festive?

I am feeling slightly tingly with excitement but there doesn't feel to be any magic to proceedings this year.

I am feeling slightly flat about things, perhaps it hits us all at one time or another, I put it down to the fact we have had a shockingly bad year & there will just be four of us for Christmas day this year. Something which has been unheard of in all the time Mike & I have been together. Therefore there has been no major preparations, no mincemeat, no cake & no stashing of food/drinks. No children in primary school either so no plays or fairs to look forward too! Harry is far to old for the church crib service but I think Midnight Mass will be in order this year.

Blimey, I do sound like a miserable old hag don't I!

For some reason I didn't buy myself an advent calender this year, my sister then presented me with this creation -
She had spent a couple of months making this for me, isn't it sweet. A bit dishevelled now after 8 days in mind, it needs propping up! Apart from a scary looking key ring I have had an assortment of sweets. Harry was rather excited about this handmade creation & has insisted on opening it for me day by day. I have to wait my turn of course. Harry opens his first then the dog has his, naturally I am last. Out of the 8 days worth of little gifts I have acquired a scary looking keyring & a strawberry cream. The others were part of Harry's vast favourites so I have passed them on!

Mike has requested beef for Christmas lunch this year, 'Really I asked him, have you gone mad' so we have ordered a small joint of beef, a small turkey & a ham. I rather enjoy cold cuts. So as a change this year we are not having  a cake & I am buying mince pies, heck I might even buy the mulled wine ready made.

I've treated myself to two weeks off starting from the 14th December most unheard of, I may even switch my Blackberry off for the season. Then again I may twitch if I do, I might put it in a drawer but leave the ringer on instead.

Mike has told me to cull my rather extensive Christmas book list, I can have two. I'm finding it rather hard to pick though, I'm having a craft book & a gardening book. Any ideas on a gardening book please, not a how to one, I'd like one I can read too if you understand. I'm rather taken with 'A taste of the unexpected'  but am open to other ideas.

Right I'm off to cheer myself up with a walk, the weather was shockingly bad earlier on this morning so the hound hasn't been out. Not that I think he is missing his walk as he is snoozing on the sofa at present.

I took my camera with me yesterday morning on a walk with Mike & the hound, naturally there was no power to it possibly due to the large number of selfies I find on it of Harry & Rocky.

Enjoy your day xx

19 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Monty Don's "Jewel Garden" for a good light read.
    I don't feel Christmassy yet. I know what you mean about when the children leave primary, but take heart, it won't be long until you are wiping a happy tear away at the grandchildren's school nativity!
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Frugal in Derbyshire. Jewel Garden was the first thing that popped into my head too.
    I don't usually get excited about Christmas but this year I'm trying to focus on the positives and find pleasure, rather than just rushing around 'getting everything done'. So far it's working. It's my birthday first though on Wednesday, which I'm looking forward to.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree, any of Monty's books would be welcome in my stocking. Craft books are difficult, there are so many that carry very similar projects, I tend to look for recommendations from bloggers that I follow. I have made a good start on the decs, mainly to email pictures to Fran, but can not seem to dredge up the enthusiasm to finish them off. It will happen in a rush on the 23rd I suspect, Fran is coming home on the 24th and they have to be finished then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We usually have turkey and beef for Christmas dinner and this year won't be any exception. I love having leftovers so that we've got plenty of meat for sandwiches for two or three days afterwards. One thing about having a dog is that it gets you out of the house even on the coldest of days. I'd probably hunker down right through winter if it wasn't for Archie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I join you in miserable hagsville?

    Christmas lost it's appeal for me when we started losing people. We used ti have a houseful on Christmas Day and now we are just four including the dog. It also has been around this rime of year that loved ines have either died or we have been hospital visiting, So we are usually glad to get through it unscathed,.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're kind of in the same boat. Kids are no longer in school productions (part of me is thankful!!). My extended family no longer wants to meet up on Christmas day and we're doing that ahead of Christmas. I only just started my shopping, and already the shelves are looking bare in the stores. Decorations haven't been pulled out of storage. No cards sent, and not sure they will be. Feeling a little bah humbug. Your advent tree is great, and how nice it was for your sister to create that just for you ... or Harry ;) That's cute about the Harry/Hound selfies, but I'll bet you enjoyed chuckling over them when you finally did get the camera charged. Here's hoping we both get a little more in the spirit in the coming weeks! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the advent calendar from your sister, a lovely thought. I hope that you can enjoy your somewhat different Christmas this year, it might not be what you have done before, but perhaps the start of something exciting and new for years yet to come. I hope that you enjoy your two weeks off too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've purchased my Christmas Cake this year, but like you only 4 for lunch, it's daft to buy in so much. love your advent calendar more fun that getting the predicted chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a thoughtful advent calendar from your sister, made with love. I have cut a few corners this year buying cake and mincemeat, it actually works out cheaper to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really celebrate it so read posts like this with a slight sense of relief that I don't.
    I've been sent on on-line Advent Calendar which I have to say I'm finding enjoyable.
    Have a good week. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its always just the 3 of us, we usually have the big family get togethers the week before, I have had years when I can't be assed and just buy in the cake, but this year because we've had a crappy year with me being ill I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet is that advent calendar and how clever is your sister! To tell you the truth, I'm not a Xmas fan at all although the day itself is OK and I have a long break from work which is always good. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what your sister made for you!! How sweet is that! I was at the bookstore this weekend and was completely disappointed by the gardening book selection...if I come across a good one I will send it your way! And as for the feelings of Christmas I can relate. I think that different seasons and holidays evoke different emotions which can weigh us down. Maybe it is about starting new traditions and taking a different route. Wishing you all the best in the weeks ahead friend...glad you are taking some time off! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm treating myself to two weeks off as well, first time for I don't know how many years. I hate the Xmas hype, I'm just looking forward to having some time off and spending some time with the family. We keep it all very casual.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you will be having a nice calm Christmas. I can well do without too much shopping and mania. I really liked Cleve West's "Our Plot", about his allotment. Beautiful photos. The advent calendar is wonderful, how sweet of your sister to make it for you. I'm laughing about Harry's vast amount of favourites, it sounds familiar somehow. I do hope you have a wonderful break at Christmas. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. we are having a quiet christmas...years ago was like more excitement...over the years..the children are living on their own so my husband and i dont make a big deal out of it...church mass..we might go out to eat ...i think we will have a white christmas this year...so we will see...but whatever you do as long your together is ok...blessings friend...lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can understand your 'flat' feelings this Christmas. We too have a had a year which has contained some sadness and are missing people this festive season. I think it's important to have the Christmas that's right for you and to let it change and adapt to what your needs are each year, as well as keeping your own little traditions alive. I'm feeling Christmassy in spite of all this, and we'll take it at our own pace :) I'd agree with the Monty Don suggestions for a book to enjoy, by the way :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. 'A taste of the unexpected' is a BRILLIANT read and it's also inspirational, which I think all good gardening/cook books should be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just catching up here. As you know I am similarly afflicted on the festive front. I have a wreath on the front door now, and a copy of the Christmas Radio Times, do you think I could call it quits at that and bed in until February?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.