Thursday, 9 April 2015

A freebie maybe?


Mike bought me some carnations last Saturday & a magazine, it was all a ruse really as he wanted to go to the pub to watch the football in the company of men rather than me!

He took his chance as I had asked him to pick up a bunch of flowers for the boys to give to my mother for Easter. He must've been rather desperate to watch the match without a lady snorting with laughter as he bought me two bunches of carnations. My pleas over the years of "I much prefer bunches of single flowers rather than mixed ones darling" must now be lodged in his memory!

Anyway before I rather unceremoniously plonked them in a jug I cut off the ends & stripped off the lower leaves. I noticed what I thought looked like baby carnation plants attached to the stems. So I snipped a few off & potted them up in a pot of compost which happened to be on the kitchen windowsill.

Now, in all fairness there were two pots of compost there containing seeds of a giant pumpkin Mike wishes to grow. It was me who actually prepared the pots & sowed the seeds, two per pot. He only needs the one giant pumpkin plant so I stuck my little plantlets in the one with the tiny pumpkin seedling in it.


It may work it may not but they are still alive so fingers crossed.

Mike has prepared a compost bin filled with old compost which he then topped up with manure. He also added to this a bucket filled with manky old comfrey leaves & water. A mixture made up last year. I'm sure you can imagine how foul the stench was!

Something to make you giggle - Harry bellowed as he fell through the front door yesterday if he & two friends could play upstairs. My first day back in work albeit from home -  peace was over! Anyway I've always been a feeder & as they were still upstairs at lunchtime I shouted up to see if they wanted some sandwiches, naturally as they are growing lads they did. I quickly made the required amount of rolls & carried the plates upstairs in a style similar to my waitressing days from when I was in sixth form. Only this time I didn't have a jug of hot gravy to pour on some poor gentleman or the chance to whip away some drinks before they were quite finished. Events that still haunt me to these days. The memories of those last two events popped back in my mind as I wandered back upstairs clutching three glasses of squash & some chocolate biscuits. A TV advert could be heard in the background with the tune "There may be trouble ahead", thankfully there wasn't.

Have a good day all xx

21 comments:

  1. I hope your cuttngs take, carnations root fairly easy, the flowers may not come true to colour but any flowers that are free are a bonus :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love carnations, they always last a long time, the ones I bought from Lidl over a month ago lasted nearly 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to plant things and see if I can get them to grow. I'm not sure if I am lucky or not, Kev never goes to the pub with his mates, he prefers the golf course. If all my seeds come up I will have far too many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have success with your carnations :) Joe normally picks up whichever flowers are in the reduced section - I don't mind, it means he's several times more likely to buy them and they still often look good for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to ask why you had a spare pot complete with compost on your kitchen windowsill! Hope the little plants take :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not very green fingered but I have managed to get plants from baby shoots like this so fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great if you can grow some free plants!! Twice as nice! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. As they say, Nothing ventured nothing gained, you might just be lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be interested to hear what Mike's reaction was when he saw his pumpkins joined by your carnations.. Was it "Oh good!"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the weaker pumpkin plant was joined by the carnations. I did get a raised eyebrow though.

      Delete
  10. Chris wandered over to the flower section in the grocery store on Saturday. He came away empty handed. I asked why. "Well they wouldn't be a surprise with you standing there". Which begs the question..why did he bother even looking?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like carnations, and really must try growing them one year.
    Thanks, and you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're a lucky woman to have flowers brought to you!! I hope your little sprouts do well!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure my sister has done that in the past with carnations, and why not get a free plant or two

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope that works with the carnations! And what a busy life you lead x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Flowers, a magazine and some peace and quiet, lucky you! I hope the cuttings root, I'd have done the same. Boys are always hungry aren't they, nice of you to keep them well fed. I'm thinking you are a very popular mum. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I often take carnation cuttings from cut flowers so it should work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. never heard of this, but will try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope those boys gave you a big tip! Or at least a genuine thank you.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fingers crossed that the carnations take! I quite often end up feeding my son's friends when they appear very near lunchtime too. And they always seem to be ravenous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.