Monday, 27 April 2015

A lovely day

We visited Chirk castle yesterday, we were supposed to go last week but the lovely weather meant the garden took priority. Living in the UK especially North Wales every bit of sunshine needs to be taken advantage of.

As we are members of the National Trust it was a free day out for us although the £30 we saved on the entry fee was spent on tea, coffee & cake & a nice rug for picnics!

There is on five months difference between my youngest son & nephew so we tend to take them out together, I can't tell you how thrilled these two nearly 14 year olds were yesterday!

How can we escape this torture, lets walk off!



I spotted a sign for the kitchen garden so naturally this was my first port of call. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be though it was very pleasant to walk around & there were quite a few things growing -
Asparagus bed

Globe Artichokes & raspberries

Standard gooseberries


View from the Kitchen garden


The boys quickly scampered up the hill, though I suspect they were anxious to get the trip over,they did enjoy themselves in the dungeons, exploring the castle & grounds much to their surprise. We spent several hours there which proves how much the boys secretly enjoyed it & the weather was lovely too.

I couldn't take any photos of the State rooms as you had to turn off the camera flash, I didn't know how to + I was busy keeping my eye on two teenagers making sure they didn't touch, run or bump into something. Mike & I will be paying a return visit by ourselves as I'm sure I would enjoy the staterooms more without worrying about teenagers.

So some random shots of the day













Right my dears I thought it was about time I stuck myself on the blog & the bottom shot is Harry's favourite of the day. 'Oh look mum, I wonder how much gin you could fit in that' Awful boy!
I shall play catch up later on, I'm off to the village post office to post Jo's parcel. Enjoy your day xx 













17 comments:

  1. Looks like a fab day out!!! It is great when you have a day like that isn't it. Lovely to see your picture, I can imagine you now!! Scary thing to do so I applaud you for it! Hope that you have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its been a long time since I've been to Chirk Castle and its such a lovely place as your photos show. Its such good value being a member of the National Trust, so many nice places to discover. Nice to see your picture, it took me around two years before I post a photo of myself on my blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But without your membership you would have spent £60. There's a photo of me too on my last post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful day out! We haven't used our cards yet this year. Thank you for the nudge.
    Now if it were wine that stone urn would make a great cooler. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Jo on winning the mug. Looks like you had a great day out. I love going to this sort of place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great day out, and lovely to see your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a lovely day out and Harry's comment about the gin made me chuckle. It's nice that Harry's got a pal to take along on outings, I know my two were always thoroughly bored when we visited places so we tended to do things they'd enjoy rather than visit places we would. We're at the stage now where we can do as we like. Nice to see a photo of you, I still haven't put one of me on the blog. Looking forward to receiving the parcel, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks, and sounds, like you enjoyed yourselves. It's somewhere that I've never been to but seems well worth visiting.
    Have a good week. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's quite a lot going on in the gardens there, even though it's only April! I'm interested to see the standard gooseberries - I noticed the same at Wisley and think it's an excellent way of growing them. Lovely to see what you look like Joanne, good photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely outing on a balmy day! So surprised to see globe artichokes in the open air, I thought it was a mediterranean cultivation only!
    Thanks for sharing
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post a very interesting place to visit, you could bathe in gin if you filled that container, I can hear your cries, no I'm not getting out until I have drunk it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fab place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chirk Castle is lovely - we visited it for the first time last summer. Have you visited the canal aquaducts that are nearby? I walked across them but was absolutely terrified. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely post! We rejoined the National Trust this year and have enjoyed visiting old and new places. It looks like you packed a lot into your visit - thank you for sharing :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like the most outstanding day to me!! And it is so good to see you in that photo!!!! That kitchen garden is fantastic! And those boys look like they had a great time! Wishing you a wonderful week! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look terrific, you should include yourself much more often. What boys would not love dungeons?
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love Chirk Castle and we don't live far from there either. I love the walks that are around and about the castle too. I sympathise about the teenagers ha! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.