Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Halcyon days

I've had a splendid few days off, I really can't remember the last time I've had time off work & have been able to anything I wanted to & not being restricted to sorting things out for other family members.

I've finished a quilt top & crochet blanket, made a start on a  knitted cotton top & spent time in the garden. No family days out due to Mike & I having last week off when it was rainy but never mind. Harry has relished a less structured routine, no school although he has revision to do this week. I shall dish out a stern reminder this afternoon, Harry has spent the last couple of nights playing football with his neighbourhood friends until 9:30 pm, close enough for me to hear the kids play but far enough for Harry to feel he is away from parental intrusion. The kids spent most of yesterday out too, no time to call back for lunch apart from a desperate plea for a couple of £'s for the local shop.

In fact the grubby child has just come downstairs in a cloud of Lynx (believe me I'm coughing & spluttering as I type) as he has no time for a shower & is too busy pumping up a football!



We dropped Rob off at the train station on Monday for his last term at uni, oh my how these last three years have flown by! That boy has adored his time at uni, I asked him at the weekend if he is sorry that his time at uni is coming to an end & he sensibly replied that he wasn't. He would miss spending time with the friends he has made there but they have a lifetime of meeting up to do & he has a chance of a job in the field he wishes to work in.

After dropping him off Mike & I popped to B&Q to look at floor tiles for the kitchen, naturally I found myself in the garden department where they had some fabulous bargains. A pussy Willow tree £5, another Forsythia £5, another shrub which the name escapes me but is good for bees & butterfly £3, a selection of six heathers £3 & three mixed chilli plants £1.03 each. On our return (after lunch) Mike very kindly dug another border in the front to accommodate my bargains. I re distributed the sods upside down to other parts of the garden. Our elderly neighbour drove past on his return from playing bowls with his lady friend & I swear the car nearly came to a screeching halt. "What have you done with those sods" this large man in his mid eighties bellowed. He was rather pleased to see we had listened to his past advice & hadn't chucked them in the recycling bin. The four of us also partook in a glass of wine in the front garden too!



The edible hedge is coming on splendidly well as are the raspberries, the yellow raspberries are making an appearance too!
The rhubarb & sweet cicely making an appearance along with a photo bombing Rocky dog!

I hope you have all had a splendid few days too, I'm off to play catch up. Have a good day xx

24 comments:

  1. It does sound like a good few days off, and some nice bargains at B&Q too. You've inspired me to get planting some seeds x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all sounds splendid and I'm glad you had a chance to spend some time in the garden. Makes you feel good about the world doesn't it. Especially when the sun is shining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't is great when you can have some days off and do things you want to do. Sounds like a very productive time too. I'm in-between 2 granny blankets and the granny squares seem to win every time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've been making the most of the Easter break and the spell of good weather. Hope there's been a bit of chocolate egg consumption, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, lots of chocolate egg consumption. The boy left his behind as he isn't a lover of chocolate x

      Delete
  5. How lovely to have time to yourself to do as you please. These years at uni go so quickly, I remember your post when you dropped Rob off, it doesn't seem nearly three years ago. Daniel's studying hard for his second year exams and Eleanor's doing nothing but revise these holidays for her AS levels, they're only a month away. Your B&Q purchases sound like bargains, I shall have to look in their gardening section when I'm next passing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great bargains, was that normal prices or reduced stickers? I could do with a few plants myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were reduced but I have no idea why, they were lovely & healthy. Perhaps making way for new stock. I hope you find some. x

      Delete
  7. What a lovely time off! you've made me want to get out in the garden, especially with the sunnier weather we've been having :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. B&Q bargains! I am banned from buying plants; they see me, jump into the basket and get planted (or not) in the garden to die a silent and lonely death. I am not a gardener, although I love my garden. Sad.
    Glad you had some free time! I miss mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny that we had such similar titles for our posts today! Thank you for popping over to comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's looking lovely in your garden! Clouds of Lynx reminds me of living at home with teenage brothers...the smell really gets in your nose and mouth doesn't it! We got two bay trees for £20 from B&Q last year...so £10 each...chuffed doesn't describe it! I was thrilled! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Joanne
    One of the great pleasures in life is buying plants and settling them into their new home. I hope they all flourish.
    I have lots of planting and potting on to do too.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Joanne,
    I had a garden centre voucher from my father in law for my birthday, and I cannot wait to go and spend it when the boys go back to school! I love b&q for plant bargains, and you scored highly with yours.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely bargains, we were at B&Q, daughter brought loads of small box plants for her garden, hubby kept me away from the bargain corner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great plant bargains. I'm thinking about a forsythia for here as we removed an elderly one last year and they are such a lovely splash of early colour. Sounds like you've had a good week my dear xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you had a bit of "Me Time" for a change. The weather on Sunday & Monday was perfect for gardening (and drinking wine in the garden!). I'm looking forward to seeing how your edible hedge performs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the look of the sweet cicely, and the rhubarb's doing well. How exciting to see the edible hedge sprouting. Your road looks lovely and quiet and green. Great news that Rob has the chance of a job in the field he wants, I hope it all goes well for him. I'm happy that you've had such a good few days off as well, it is very much deserved. Enjoy the rest of the week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have been quite busy in the garden over the weekend. I have redone the little herb garden, actually remembered to get some sweet peas in time and sorted out the flower beds. Three days in total with gorgeous weather. Today we did some National Trust visiting in still lovely weather! Been the best week in months. Can we see your croceht blanket?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you have been having such a good time!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving that new front bed friend! It is just fantastic and it looks like you get so much light there! And how wonderful that your son is doing so well....getting a job in his field!!! You must be a proud mama!!! Now what could be better than wine while admiring the garden! Awesomeness! Happy end of week to you! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's good to see that you've made the most of a few days off, especially in the garden. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like you have been very busy, but also taking your time to do the things you love. I have my oldest at University and he has at least another year and a half, he will miss those fun times for sure, I still miss mine!
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  22. Busy lady :) Bargain plants, hope we get to see a photo of them planted up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.