Tuesday, 12 May 2015

Everything in the garden is nearly looking rosy

Computer problems has kept me away from blogging, a combination of a wonky laptop & intermittent internet connection to be precise! Things do appear to be back to normal though.

Mike & I have spent a lot of time in the garden though which has been rather pleasant & of course the odd shopping trip for the garden has taken place too. One of these trips saw us bring back a small tray of okra plants to try, hopefully we have a bit of space spare in the greenhouse to accommodate them as I believe chilly North Wales isn't the best environment for them.


Rocky hound has been most troublesome in the garden of late, blackbirds landing is peeving him greatly & he keeps on snapping the asparagus spears when attempting to chase the blackbirds away. We did however have a wonderful risotto the other evening to make full use of the five snapped spears. I didn't starve Mike I promise you, we did have other veg in it too. I'm trying to persuade Mike to build me a brick bed for asparagus at the side of the house where the seating area is, you know just so I can have some plants safe from Rocky hound, the present bed being partly protected by old upturned hanging baskets.



I think my first batch of Rocket garden veg plants are being delivered today, I'm very excited as you can imagine. We spent the weekend watering the garden with nematodes to help keep the slug population down.When I say we I really mean me as Mike made me water the front garden as it was raining & he didn't want to look like a prat with a watering can in the rain. Fingers crossed the nematodes will help deal with the slugs as I fear we have an influx of snails this year. I found loads of them amongst the wallflowers I was pushing back yesterday when I was planting out the sweet peas & one up the sweet cherry tree!

Enjoy your day my dears, I'm off to play serious catch up while my computer is playing nicely x

17 comments:

  1. Glad you've got the computer problems sorted out. How exciting, a delivery of veg plants, don't forget to show us what you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a garden like yours - and the knowledge to know what to grow!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you computer problems are sorted now it's good to have you back blogging. Your garden is looking fab, I wish we had our own garden so it would be worth investing in it. Oh well when we retire......
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the same snail population explosion - lots of babies and I found a dozen snails when I cleared some euphorbia yesterday evening. Hope the nematodes work - and good luck with the okra. I tried growing it last year, the seeds germinated but it just stopped growing when I planted it out. Looking forward to seeing how you get on! C x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that the plants will be fabulous and that the slugs and snails will be banished - just not to my garden if you don't mind!! Hee hee! I know we need them because they are all part of nature, but why do they have to eat the new things all the time! Let us know how the plants do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing what you get in your rocket garden, it looked a great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that your computer problems are now sorted. It's all looking and sounding good, apart from Rocky's antics that is.
    Thanks, and you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had green fingers. It must be wonderful to grow your own veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your computer problems are back under control. Exciting times a plant delivery, I am happy to say that we haven't got a lot of snails as yet...fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, the risotto sounds good, everything is starting to take off isn't it. I hope your nematodes do the trick, the snails are out in force here. I took five off of one small hosta yesterday. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been applying nematodes too - the general-purpose ones that attack a variety of garden pests, hopefully including the ones that go for the roots of my brassicas and Runner Beans. Most of my herbs from last year's Rocket Garden have done well and are looking good this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I watch in daily dismay at the march of the snails across the garden. Olly used to collect them in a bucket and feed them to Beryl and Jean. Alas they have moved on to pastures new (my sister in law). I miss those very naughty chickens. The snails and slugs never stood a chance. Thanks for your lovely comment on my latest blog post. I am trying to come to terms with my plot. I am, I am, I am, I am (repeat to fade)
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your plot looks awesome my friend! I can see all of that amazing green! And how awesome to have another bed on the side of the house! I can't wait to see more of your garden lady!! Happy growing! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm having the same blackbird problem with one of my dogs Indie. They're driving him mad. They sit on the fence just out of reach and when he chases them away, they fly over his head and appear behind him, again, on the fence just out of reach. :-) Poor dog lol. I can't wait to see the rest of your Rocket garden veg plants are It's very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm having the same blackbird problem with one of my dogs Indie. They're driving him mad. They sit on the fence just out of reach and when he chases them away, they fly over his head and appear behind him, again, on the fence just out of reach. :-) Poor dog lol. I can't wait to see the rest of your Rocket garden veg plants are It's very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden is looking so lush.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I suppose you had to chop up the asparagus anyway for the risotto! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.