Monday, 29 June 2015

Gentle potterings

I'm back, I think - I hope! Life well work in particular has been more than a little full on, more like wishing to pull ones hair out fistfuls at a time kind of crazy. Things appear to be settling down though combined with still no working kitchen (it has been re-plastered & painted) & coping with a mother who has suddenly come into a large pot of money (probate has finally been sorted) we shall see. My mother has no sense of keeping a budget what-so-ever & while it's nice that she wishes to treat everyone - she offered to buy Mike an Aga the other day - I can see trouble ahead.

I'm treating myself to some gentle pottering today which can be translated as giving the house a jolly good clean, the garden a jolly good weed & should I still be awake early this evening I shall start another crochet blanket - just the thing to keep tempers calm by covering oneself with mounds of wool in this weather. Combine the fact that I read about a 'Wine bank' several weeks back. The idea being instead of buying alcohol to drink you put the money into a little savings account. Results have been astounding to say the least, I've built myself a nice little sum already & am 4 lb lighter!

My edible hedge is coming on wonderfully, unfortunately it only contains one Hazel, luckily it contains three Elder bushes - one for cordial (lack of kitchen means I can't make any this year), one for wine (ditto) & one spare. I think it contains a blackthorn, there are a couple of wild roses which look very pretty & I hope beyond hope the remaining trees are a combination of cherry plum & crab apple. I'm running out of space as I need to fit into the opposite side a white hydrangea, peonies, roses & various other plants.

Veg garden is looking fab, very pleased with it this year. We have cucumbers, tomatoes & chillies forming in the greenhouse. The sweet cherry tree is being raided by Harry, even the blackbirds are getting very little chance to nab the ripening fruit. We've been picking fresh salad from the garden, I think I have some potatoes ready though Mike has banned me from rummaging around for another week to give them chance to grow a bit more!

I've had very little time to read your blogs of late & I faithfully promise to catch up some time today. I've managed to resist the Emma Bridgewater sale so far due to lack of browsing time more than anything else. I can't promise not to buy anything should a further reductions email lands in my inbox.

Thank you for the birthday messages for Rob, he in fact we had a splendid day. I read about the idea of 21 presents for being 21. A mixture of smaller ones with some more treaty ones. It was blinking hard buying for a male who doesn't collect anything any more. The shopping trip was another tearing ones hair out experience! I managed 19 & then added his birthday meal & cake into the mix to make it 21!

Anyway I shall love you & leave you, the house really is in a dreadful state. Have a good day, it's lovely to be back x

23 comments:

  1. Hope that you enjoyed the 'pottering'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see a post from you, sorry life has been so crazy, I hope it settles down soon. The veg garden sounds wonderful. I'm having all sorts of failures here, but some successes too. I fear I will have to spend some time watering this week if the heatwave arrives. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo I hold my hands up it was me that said I was stupid enough to buy 18 presents for an 18th birthday and 21 for a 21st. It worked great for eldest son and for my daughter by I too have a very picky one in the middle of those two but if you do it for one you have to do it for all don't you so like you I was tearing my hair out when it was his turn. You'll be pleased to know I won't be repeating that exercise when they hit 30 because quite frankly I don't think I'd cope with the stress of thinking of 30 presents for son number two and life is just to short..... You'll be pleased to know I don't come up with these made cap ideas very often. Hope you enjoy your day and nice to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I though it was you Mitzi, oh my it was a struggle!

      Delete
  4. I love the edible hedge, such a wonderful addition to any garden......and beneficial to wildlife.
    It looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed with the edible hedge too, a great idea. Hope you manage to get your cleaning/weeding done. I have been pottering all day and have yet to achieve anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you've been having a busy time just lately. I hope things calm down for you now that the good weather's here. It's Daniel's 21st next and I'm considering the 21 present thing but I've no idea what I'd get him, you'll have to give me some pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, it's good to see you posting again.
    Happy pottering. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it would be hard to find 21 interesting gifts for anybody. It's nice to see you back to posting and I hope you're enjoying your gentle potterings, which sound like pretty busy times to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to have you back, Jo- I was wondering how you were :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your hedge, it's looking good, kitchens are always a pain, but just think how nice it will be once finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you've been kept very busy. The edible hedge is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just lovely to read your blog after a hard day at work x love the edible hedge x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that Rob had a good birthday and that the kitchen work is continuing apace! I hope that you can sort things out with your Mum, it is very hard caring for a parent isn't it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to see you back :) I hope you managed some relaxing crochet after your cleaning. the garden looks lovely, and I hope the kitchen continues to progress x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back! Hope life calms down somewhat for you with lots of opportunities for 'gentle pottering'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to find you back. And hedge is going to be fab. But I'm just terribly envious now ... you have a sweet cherry tree you lucky thing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Likewise I am trying to post regularly again but life does get in the way sometimes. Love the hedge idea as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to see you back, Jo! I'd be tearing my hair out with no useable kitchen by now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reading this blog reminded me to put a bottle of white in the fridge for dinner tonight ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hows the greenhouse ? I ,ve been waiting to see all your "exotics " you mentioned some months ago . mine is full of cacti mostly , its a job keeping it ventilated in this hot weather !
    By the way love the edible hedge : ) Daisy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, the okra was enjoyed by slugs or snails so that won't be happening this year. Sweet potato & little citrus trees are looking good though x

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.