Tuesday, 11 August 2015

A round up

I've not been around for a while, busy decorating mums house & keeping well out of the way of Mike fitting the new kitchen. Just need to take out several mortgages to buy the oak worktops he wants. no craft shopping for a while he told me. Naturally I had to make several small purchases before handing over the contents of my bank account for said worktops.

A couple of weeks back it could actually be three we were awaiting the surveyors to come & inspect the roof as Mike wanted solar panels too. When Mike opened the attic hatch he spotted this. Actually Harry spotted it & we had to keep his snout well away whilst waiting for the pest control man to come out, which he did after relieving my bank account of £45. Harry still had his snout in the attic whilst the chap was in injecting the huge wasp nest. It's a lot bigger than it looks, in between football & beach ball size. I have mixed reservations about the killing of the wasps one actually came & stung me at my mums several days later.

The garden is looking good in the whole. lots of failures especially my third Rocket Garden delivery but the rest is looking good. I've not complained yet but a lot of the plants died from this delivery & I've had to order some more sprouting broccoli plants so naturally I ordered white sprouting too as you do!

The cabbages have been splendid the white ones are ready for harvesting now, the savoy & red are a little way off yet



We've had potatoes & beans fresh from the garden & I ate a solitary greengage. I did offer half to Mike but he declined. It was barley larger than a cherry -
Rob is splendidly happy in his new job. It doesn't seem two minutes since I was packing him off to school now he's a graduate with a proper job. I still  make his sandwiches though!

I've been busy crafting in the evening - knitting, secret crafty projects for my Santa Sack Swap & pretending to myself that I know how to crochet more than I actually can do -
 I'm attempting this shawl, it's like working with a spiders web I have done an extra round though with my tongue sticking out as I work.

Are you all well, I've mostly recovered from my pneumonia thanks for the comments. I've had comments that my breathing seems affected but I feel fine & all the better for finally completing a post I shall play catch up again xx

29 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's all systems go at your house at the moment. Good to hear Rob is enjoying his job xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making that shawl too, it IS like crocheting spiders web isn't it! I thought that too. Don't you just love how it looks though, the colour of your yarn is beautiful! Hope that the works keep going well! All sounds incredibly busy, but will be beautiful when it is done I am sure. Oh, and complain to the veggies people, they might not know otherwise! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo glad you are feeling a bit better, a new kitchen, how lovely, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to Rob. EEEEEEP to the wasps nest. I HATE them. I'm envious of your crochet skills! I won't say a word about craft supplies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you're feeling better. Well done to Rob. You should teach him how to make his own sandwiches! We are also eating potatoes and beans from the garden. Just started using onions and garlic too though they really need to be left to dry. I hope you get on well with the shawl - I'm almost finished mine (sea glass shawl). I had to buy another ball of yarn for the last 2 motifs so I might just make it bigger by adding another row. Need to wait and see what it's like once these 2 motifs are done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you are feeling a little better. I have lots of secret projects going on in preparation for Christmas. The cabbage is certainly looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am allergic to wasp stings, so getting rid of the nest is not a problem for me, you have been busy. As for the kitchen, pay a bit more do it right and only have to do it once, our kitchen is 6 years old and still looking perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that wasp's nest is huge. We had bees take up residence this year, somewhere around the guttering, but the nest dies out naturally at the end of the year so we allowed them to stay. Then we saw wasps coming and going from a small hole in to the cavity in the wall. They were finding their way in to the house so we had to call the pest control man out to sort that out. We haven't seen any wasps since. Glad to hear that Rob is happy in his new job, you must be so proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Were you able to keep the wasps nest, they are rather beautiful? Better out than in though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're feeling better. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen, it sounds like it will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Jo! It's good to hear you are feeling better.
    The cabbages do look splendid and the wasp nest scary.
    Take care! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I would have panicked somewhat if that was in my loft. Pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you've had an eventful day of it lately, that wasp nest looks horrendous, I'd be terrified to find one in my loft.

    Your crochet shawl looks far more intricate than the shawl I'm knitting, the colour is lovely, glad to hear you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. woops.....I meant an eventful time, not day, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you're feeling better now, it must have been a rough time. I bet the oak worktops will be absolutely gorgeous, worth the craft abstinence. Everything in the garden is looking good. You have reminded me that I need to go and look at my solitary plum down at the allotment. Haven't seen it for a while, I hope it's still okay. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jo, it sounds like things are going well lately. It's nice to see a new post from you. I hope the kitchen will be completed soon. That is some wasp! Yikes. I hope nobody is stung. I look forward to seeing your shawl. Hope you're having a good week, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your brassicas look amazing, Jo. I wish I'd netted mine in time but now they've been ravaged by caterpillars. Hopefully won't spoil the brussels forming though. Glad to read that you're feeling better, so horrid to feel unwell in the summer. V envious of you having a lovely new kitchen, such a treat to look forward to! Caro xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That wasp nest is huge! It is amazing how they make them just a shame they chose your loft. We had one in our shed a few years ago - quite scary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to see that you're feeling better. I'm sure that you'll be glad when everything is done and the dust has settled so to speak.
    Nice to see you harvesting stuff from the garden. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. ha ha ! Love your solitary greengage ! Not a lot you can do with it ! They are funny things - there is absolutely nothing on the trees for years, then we get a half way reasonable crop! One year I even managed to make some greengage cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you're feeling better and had the time to post. That wasps nest is a bit freaky! It's like a perfect ball. I've just googled them (like you do) and they are rather fascinating. Wasps aside, your garden is looking lovely. Lots going on there. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. The wasp nest looks scarily big! Looking forward to seeing your finished crochet shawl :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A lacy shawl in that blue is going to look gorgeous. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Must check our greengages I love them

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have won the giveaway Jo. Let me have your snail mail and I wil get you parcel off st the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm rather fond of wasps' nests (not necessarily the occupants though!). Years ago my daughters made a crepe paper kite and left it in the garden shed - the wasps chewed it to make a nest and it ended up beautifully multicoloured. Your veg are looking great. Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm rather fond of wasps' nests (not necessarily the occupants though!). Years ago my daughters made a crepe paper kite and left it in the garden shed - the wasps chewed it to make a nest and it ended up beautifully multicoloured. Your veg are looking great. Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad you are feeling better Jo, your yarn is a lovely colour. I love laceweight yarn so can't wait to see your shawl. Hx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.