Thursday, 20 August 2015

Nice new rose bush

Now not so very long ago Mike & I visited a very local nursery. Plant one of course because as much as I've pestered I'm not allowed any more children & quite frankly now the youngest is 13 I'm not sure I could cope!

Anyway a few months back we signed up to the garden club. This entails a discount card, free tea & coffee once a month & offers throughout the year.

I shall set the scene - Mike must've lost the plot that day as I soon found myself unaccompanied in the plant section while Mike was still inside. As I skipped happily flitting from one plant section to the next my eyes alighted on a glorious sight - a new delivery of David Austin rose's.

Mike realising his schoolboy error soon caught up with me but the damage was done.

'You are not having another rose bush Joanne'

'Oh really (sad face), they are so pretty(sad face)'

'There isn't space for one is there, I shall have to dig another border'

'Yes that's a good idea & you're awfully good at that , oh look Mike there is one named after your niece & we would get a discount' (big beaming smile now)

Short version above & once I saw Mike wavering I grabbed the one I wanted & scampered off to the till!




Boscobel is a delight, it has the most beautiful scent. It's a nice short bush & the very shade of pink I wanted. No Mikes niece is not named Boscobel but I needed to gain his attention you understand & to finish the scene of nicely for you - Mike spluttering over his coffee when I casually mentioned that really you should have three rose bushes together!

Enjoy your day all xx

P.S notice the petals underneath the bush, flaming teenagers using the front lawn as a wrestling ring there is also a squashed hydrangea bush next to it!

26 comments:

  1. So funny! The rose bush looks lovely and I'm sure Mike will agree now its in there looking so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love David Austin roses, the smell of old roses is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my husband could identify with this scene. He encourages me to move quickly through a nursery and stay focused on the thing we came in for - it rarely works! I adore David Austin roses, and yours is a beauty. Hope it survives the teenagers.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha you are terrible! I do love David Austin Roses though, I have a small rose bed dedicated to them and their scent is heavenly. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really made me smile, you certainly know how to work him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great day all round, poor Mike he was never going to win once you arrived at the garden center

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! We were looking at David Austin roses last week and there was a beautiful buttery creamy one which the HG looked at. He sadly turned to me and said, I KNOW, it's the wrong colour so I won't even ask!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of child-related plant squashing here as well, also a lot of golf club/ball induced plant damage as well. Well done on your powers of persuasion, it's a beautiful plant indeed. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha, I was going to ask if that's the name of Mike's niece. I didn't used to have any roses in my garden, I wasn't very keen on them but I love them now. There's three in the garden now and I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can never have too many roses!
    Thanks, and you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not to tempt you further, Jo, but we were taught at garden design college that plants always look best when planted in groups of odd numbers, 5 being optimum. Just saying… ;o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha oh that made me laugh. I'm exactly the same in garden centres. My husband tries not to leave me alone either lol. Speaking of which I've recently pulled up a foxglove that was taking over a bed with large leaves and few flowers so I've got a nice empty patch of earth that needs filling... >.<

    Your rose looks very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Men, they're such innocents. A wonderful triumph for you, the rose is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is always good to have more plants!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That really made me laugh. We saw a gorgeous David Austin rose in the shop at Harlow Carr last week, the scent was beautiful so I kept a note of it for later as we already planted the climber Zephirine Drouhin this year and I need to find more space. Enjoy your Boscobel. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love roses, they are a feel good purchase

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tell your husband that I can't grow plants and should really get my garden astroturfed, so I rely on blogmates like you to grow the good stuff that I can't so that you can photograph them, blog them and I get the pleasure without the pain. I'm sure he'll understand!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Roses are always a good investment and the David Austin roses are so beautiful aren't they? I've seen Boscobel in the garden centre, lovely scent. We have a few squashed plants in our garden owing to a big dog bottom plonking itself down anywhere but the lawn or paths it seems. Have a great weekend Jo. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this little story, you made me giggle ..... good girl!
    I have just bought Boscabel too ..... isn't it just beautiful?!
    wishing you a wonderful weekend
    love Jooles x x x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like the same club as we are in. Do you get a free meal every so often too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so Sue. Unless it could be one of the offers they send through.I hope so as they do some really nice meals there. x

      Delete
  21. Some aspects of our lives could be interchanged and no one would notice. Fancy letting you loose in a nursery. I loved the description of flitting between flowers, I had a mental image of you as a butterfly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lol... that's right, so you can appreciate the fulness :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great shopping trip. Roses are fab and even though mine are covered in black spot, they flower fantastically. I think I need another plant this year too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.