Wednesday, 19 August 2015

This & that

Well mum had her carpets fitted yesterday. Sitting room, hall stairs, landing & new flooring in the conservatory too. She has thoroughly enjoyed ploughing her way through one of my dads savings accounts, never had access to it before you see. She has plenty left over to see her through - she just wanted to splurge. Her grandchildren have been pleased too!

Both my parents were deeply unhappy together, 54 years married to the wrong person & not willing to give up must destroy your soul really. On the upside the change in her since the death of my father has been remarkable, she's a new woman.  Never being allowed to do anything when my dad was at home (female, not capable you see) she was over the moon to be allowed to use Mikes Stanley knife to help remove what remained of the sitting room carpet. Mike took up the majority of it Monday evening just leaving her enough to keep her feet warm. I'd love to see how she managed to get down to the carpet to attack it with a blade and her cataracts getting in the way of seeing what she was doing! Also Mike would have had to hoik her up with her bad back an all! She's had fun over these last few weeks & that's the main thing.

Anyhoo now this decorating malarkey at my mothers is over & solid oak worktops to be delivered in several weeks things can get back to a little more normality round here.


New rose, I shall do a proper post about it sometime soon  this week! 

Lying in wait for some birds yesterday, needless to say I failed! Looks pretty though doesn't it? 

Nearly plum jam time, it would be a damn site nearer if I had worktops on my new units. Slate floor looks good though! 
Thank you for your comments yesterday. Yes I really should be on my mums accounts, that is the plan she twitches when inside a bank or anywhere like that & it was hard enough a few weeks back setting her up with several new savings accounts. I am working on it though.

I now think that after your suggestions I will place my little citrus trees on the kitchen windowsill for the winter. It's a bay window so they will get plenty of light.

Take care all xx

19 comments:

  1. Glad your mum's carpets are all sorted now. Your new rose looks very pretty and the plums are looking good too. Plum jam sounds wonderful :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for your Mum! I hope she enjoys her new carpet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't be good living in a loveless marriage, hope she her freedom and of course the new carpets. Plum jam sounds enticing, I might head over to the fruit farm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so sad about your parents marriage, but it really does sound as though your Mum is blossoming now! I guess not being allowed to have anything to do with money all those years has contributed to her fear of banks as she never got used to using them or cards no doubt. Having this splurge has probably been amazing for her and a great healer too. Hope you love your new worktops! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a new beginning has started in style. It's good that your Mum has you nearby to help. Your new rose is a very pretty colour. Roll on the plum jam, not literally of course! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad for your parents and especially your Mum. Thank goodness times have changed for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo your post made me feel sad, I'm sure your mum can find happiness, xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so pleased for you mum, that she is enjoying life now. Lovely garden photos, how pretty it is by your bird feeder. And I'm very envious of your plums. I had ONE this year! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet the new carpets are lovely for your mum! Plum jam sounds amazing too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post reminded me of that Friends episode, you know the one where Rachel's mum says 'You didn't marry your Barry, honey, but I married mine'. Good to hear your mum is spreading her wings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Typical the birds never show when we find a good spot to capture them from. Glad things are settling for you and your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sad that your parents stayed together all that time when they were unhappy. I think that's probably the age they were married in though, marriage was for life, come what may. I didn't get one plum off my little tree this year, fingers crossed that it fruits next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mother sounds a lot like my mother except my parents divorced after 25 years. Glad you mom is enjoying having some new things that she picked out. My dad always made the decisions. Your rose is beautiful. I think a pink rose would be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love plum jam I used to make it all the time, how sad your parents stayed together for so long when they were unhappy together, times have certainly changed. I hope you have some birdy visitors soon it does look very pretty. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad your mother is enjoying herself and I hope she likes her new carpets. My parents have a similarly unhappy situation, for different reasons, and I would really love to see them both happy. I don't think it will happen at this point, sadly. I hope you're having a good week, enjoy your new worktops and the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As my Nan used to say, "There are worse things than being alone." But there is great therapy to be had in outlasting the Other One and in a stanley knife and carpet.
    I'm glad she has a new carpet, and good on her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So interesting! Especially your plums!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure that you'll be more than pleased to get back to normality. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. It can't have been easy for you either, Jo, knowing your parents were unhappy together. It's lovely to hear that your Mum is enjoying herself now, good for her! (And good for you for sorting things out for her!) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.