Monday, 21 September 2015

Best laid plans

& all that. Harry's swimming day didn't go to plan, neither did my intended trip to see the duck race. There was no swimming day in the end, no firm plans were made you see & there were parents far more stricter than Mike & I. Plans have been made though to extend a little more freedom - bus trips for Harry to places much closer to home, but thank you for your thoughts the other day.

We took my mum shopping so couldn't make the duck race Harry elected to join us as nana is a nice treaty one. I was treated too - new slippers, plants, bulbs & a teapot tile


I'm curled up on the sofa today still recovering from a weekend of excess. I really am far too old for such nights. Late plans were made to meet up in our local where a band was playing. It was an exceedingly good night. Harry was at a sleepover so it was a late night - very late - Mike returned home at 2:30 am & I shock horror at 4 am!! We went onto friends after you see & they only lived round the corner.

Rob raised his eyes in horror when he learned his parents would be at said house party. I showed my age apparently as I went home first & took a rather good bottle of red. Not the done thing apparently - there was a tray of dubious green drinks with the consistency of cough medicine & bottles of beer. Robs eyes nearly disappeared over his head when I asked if I could have a drink of water, I smiled sweetly at my host as it was served in a mug so I had another too. Rob also thought it was time I should go when I asked a young man who looked like he was about to keel over if he would like a coffee & a plastic bucket.

So very much feeling my age these last two days & gladly so.  More to do with tiredness than alcohol I'd like to point out. I'm sat here with my old bat slippers on & looking sadly at my flower bulbs that need to be planted but it's bucketing down here. So heavily that even the dog wont go out.

Take care my dears I hope you are all well xx

18 comments:

  1. I'm sitting here smiling, you have a lovely way with words. Old bat slippers and nice treaty nanas are the best. Glad you had a wild party weekend. The sun has just broken through the clouds here, so maybe the dog and the bulbs can go out soon. Wishing you a good week Jo. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I always show my age on nights like that. Sounds like you had a great weekend though. We had experiences like you've just had with Harry when our two were a similar age, we deliberated whether to extend their freedom and then found out that their friends parents were a little stricter than us. I got drenched taking Archie for a walk in the rain this morning, it was pouring so I put his coat on to keep the worst of it off but his little head was wet through when we got back and so were my feet, I went out in my sandals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting to old now not to go to bed at a reasonable hour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, so funny to read about your comment on the coffee and bucket. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the thought of your evening is making me feel tired. Cosying up on the sofa with a nice glass of wine is enough for me. Then again, I spend all day running around after a very lively little one so I'm always exhausted. Sounds like a great evening was had by all. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't face the rain this morning so our dog went out for his constitutional in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A weekend with a difference by the sound of it. It's been raining here all day. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ben looked at the rain and danced with joy, he loves puddles... he goes round them and drags me through the middle. It had stopped by the time we were half way round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coffee and a plastic bucket!! Perfect!! You are a good person, and I salute you for being able to stay awake until 4 am! I'm only good till about 1 ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't cope with late nights now either. We had two late ones over the weekend as well and I was in bed by 9 last night :o) Sounds like you had a nice weekend though xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so funny. I think you're a lot more fun than I am - I've barely even seen midnight in the past decade unless I was helping a sick child in the night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like an oldie as soon as my bum hits the sofa within half an hour I'm nodding off x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilarious.....I went to a wedding recently....I danced for most of the evening, drank the champagne that kept being offered. Havn't done that for years....felt about 102 the next day. Never again..............

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't stay up late any more! It does me in the next day too much!!! Too wet here for bulb planting too, but I did buy some more today.... Better hope it dries up soon for us both hey! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel my age these days also. As to planting bulbs, it's in hold here to due to the weather too. I've been very lucky and have been given quite a few this year so M itching to get out there and plant!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goodness how do you do it! It must be all that fresh veg. Let's hope the sun pops out tomorrow. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol in nearly 4 years (only in the cooking) and I feel like the oldest person in the world, because I cannot get out of the house for ANYTHING in the evenings (except maybe for a nice dinner party). I'm still a night owl and early mornings do nothing for me. But when I used to take alcohol I was always the last one to leave the party.
    Thinking back, I really don't miss that exhausting and hangover-y feeling for the next couple of days. I'll gladly be the old (and boring) person - now, where did you get these slippers ? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember those days oh too well!! Ha ha .. I need sleep the more the better ....what a lovely mum....Maria xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.