Tuesday, 22 September 2015

Next year

I get my last Rocket Garden delivery tomorrow, I'm highly unlikely to order the constant garden again. Baby plants grown in Cornwall & then posted to a chilly North Wales well they don't all prosper. The sweetcorn & butternut squash for example were planted way later than I normally would & the plants are still just inches high. Not to put anyone off as I did receive some lovely well packaged plants which were huge fun to unpack. 

I'm making tentative plans for what to grow next year, my birthday is on Friday & I have some lovely gardening books amongst my haul of goodies. I order my presents you see as Mike would pay full price for everything where as I prefer to save. I wont spoil the surprise for you until my birthday :D

Said gardening books will be perused at great length over the next couple of months & have been bought accordingly. 

On the definite list for next year are carrots in troughs.  My carrots are always hit my carrot fly & having a small veg plot means not much space spare for carrots when you have to consider covering them to keep them pest free. This year they have been a huge success. From three troughs we have had baby carrots for salads & dips, for eating in the garden & then bigger ones for roasting & boiling. 

I placed my troughs on the old frames from those plastic greenhouses, this ensured the carrots were high enough to miss the carrot fly. They really have been splendid this year so I might have to invest in more troughs.


We have a few more meals out of these two troughs left & I'm sure you make out a few weeds forming! 

So that's one definite plan for next year, are you still making your growing lists?

Take care all xx

25 comments:

  1. I still thinking hard to continue make my garden more productive this year. I still have at least three months remain.
    Thanks for inspiring me on growing carrot on container. It looks doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have grown strawberries like this in the past and am planting runners into troughs ready for next year. It is easy to pop the whole thing in the greenhouse over winter and get a head start in the spring. I will have to try a stand of carrots next year, what variety do you grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't keep a record Pam sorry, they were from a free packet x

      Delete
  3. I hope the Carrot fly don't come visiting me, I have thought would it be easier for me to buy plants instead of sowing seed, but I guess it's the cost as well.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The carrots are my only success this year! I grew them in a pot higher up! I've got one more meal out of them and then apart from the leeks, my veg plot is done and can sleep for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrots have been ace here this summer. Love your idea for raising them higher. We've been discussing next years veg. I think we're going to put in an asparagus bed and try sweet taters as well as put in more raspberry canes on top of the usual beetroot leeks carrots spinach sorrel rocket broad beans chillies courgettes toms squashes cucs garlic and taters. Probably less kale and Brussels next year tho as the pillars get 'em :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't decided yet, but a definite won't be is cabbage that was a real disaster this year. Have a great birthday and enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We grow things in pots and bags. No doubt we'll have another load of chillies and peppers on the go, potatoes and beans. I must get some seed catalogues, so exciting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea...never had success with carrots before..maybe next year????maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growing carrots in troughs is a great idea. So far we have just covered the raised bed sown with carrots with a fleece. It works very well. Hope you have a happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm feeling adventurous and want to try lots of new things. I suspect by next year my armchair enthusiasm won't have made to it out into the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping that next year and slugs leave the carrot seedlings alone. It's not the carrot fly that's our problem

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a shame the rocket garden didn't work out. It's been a bad year for growing though, so that may be part of it.
    Have a very Happy Birthday on Friday x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a good way of keeping the carrot root fly off. I've had my best ever year with carrots, we've been eating them for ages and there's still loads left.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our soil conditions aren't right for carrots, so maybe troughs are the way to go. Have a lovely birthday on Friday - can't wait to see your presents. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our soil conditions aren't right for carrots, so maybe troughs are the way to go. Have a lovely birthday on Friday - can't wait to see your presents. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to check on my carrots (that I kinda forgot about) right now and I'll be back to report. :-p

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stumpy and fat, but looking very good. The sweet earthy scent is amazing and the colour looks vibrant.
    I grew them in a raised bed and to my shame I don't know what variety it was.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks to be a good way to grow carrots, which are a vegetable I never manage to grow well.
    I'm still rewriting my what to grow next year list, and will be for a while yet.
    Thanks, and you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think growing carrots would be so much fun. I am getting ready to start growing again, the Autumn in Florida is a perfect time to grow some things, it is a bit cooler and a lot less humid.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea. Definitely going to try this as carrots are a favourite in this house. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is a shame that the plants haven't done so very well for you, obviously you have such a good touch with your plants you don't need ones grown for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also choose and buy books for people to give me for Christmas and birthday - glad it's not just me. I've never grown carrots, or much of anything really, and there was no time to plant anything in our garden this year after we moved in. Maybe next year. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I order my own presents. I'm happy to pay full price whereas Mr Mister likes a good bargain.
    And they do say opposites attract, don't they? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never had a problem growing carrots but I resent the space they take up in my tiny veg patch. I think your solution is utterly brilliant and will dig out my old plastic greenhouse and give it a go next year. Happy birthday for tomorrow; having read your latest post, I hope you're feeling better in time! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.