Monday, 7 September 2015

Nothing of muchness!

Well I have the day to myself - nearly that is but it's a day off work. I think it will be cauliflower cheese this evening or then again if Mikes home it will be fish & chips after a visit to the fridge freezer shop for a new one. Mike wants one of those American style ones where as I want two Smeg ones a fridge & a freezer you see. A fast diminishing bank balance will mean that Mike will win this battle. If Mike isn't home I shall just order it & get it over with, it can be delivered on Thursday then as Mike is off & I wont have to deal with all the palaver. I could always make a large patchwork cover for it that will be a fun battle :)
Just to make you laugh I shall post the pigeon wreath again. My sister is convinced that my dad has returned as a pigeon as she sees them everywhere now! 'Really' I enquired 'They're everywhere anyway, always have been, perhaps it was the effect of his cremation all those little bits!' Evil old trout that I am. Rocky hound barks at pigeons if they land by the feeders it's a running joke now that he is told off for barking at granddad. Although I was snorting with laughter after my mum had mentioned that a particularly fat pigeon lands on the shed each night when she goes to bed & is still there when she wakes up in the morning. I told her he had come back to haunt her as she is enjoying spending his money too much!


Anyway my dears, I was perusing the garden this morning hosepipe in hand as the sun is shining & the pots needed a good top up. My first port of call was Mikes giant pumpkin - supposed to be giant pumpkin but I cut that off by mistake ohhhhh quite a few weeks ago now. Mike was eager for the leaves to be pruned back a bit you see & I wasn't paying attention as I was rabbiting on at him that I really didn't want to cut back so many leaves & well snip. I held up a large stalk with his prize pumpkin. The reserve one is really quite small but is a beautiful orange colour though not big enough to feed any of us :) Anyway hosepipe in hand & two little mice popped up!

I then went on to water the fruit trees & was thinking of harvesting a lettuce but a spider was eating a fly in the middle of the one I wanted so I left him/her there in peace.

Plenty of wasps about, thankfully outside not in my attic this time, I was delighted to see one trying to eat a daddy long legs in the front garden fascinating sight. The dog was debating if my attention would be off him long enough to be able to escape into the field but Harry bellowed at me on his way to the school bus stop to keep my eye on the hound so Rockys plan was foiled.

My Saturday evening didn't go to plan I felt really cold & miserable so I was wrapped up in my PJ's, dressing gown & a fleecy blanket. When I finally felt like an ice cream I couldn't find it, one of the freezers broke down in the week so Mike shovelled what food could be saved into the other one hence the need for a new one.

My granny square crochet blanket is building up nicely now I've got back into it. The basket of yarn I have to use up doesn't seem to be getting any smaller though which doesn't bode well for a new blanket pack for my birthday. I shall try & hide it somewhere!

Hope you are all well, I have a bathroom to clean, floors to mop & clothes to put away - no rest for the wicked xx

26 comments:

  1. Oh Jo!!!! I have to confess that I didn't really read the second half of this very well as I was still having hysterics from the first half!!!! Oh the pigeon thing! That is just tooooooo funny!!!! The idea of the whole thing, oh no, I am laughing again!! My glasses have fallen off I was laughing so hard!!!! Hope you don't mind me laughing!!! Hope you have a great day off - and perhaps get the fridge and freezer that you want!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes Amy - you were definitely meant to laugh. Pah if I spent that much on fridge & a freezer I wouldn't be allowed any yarn or fabric for at least four years! x

      Delete
  2. I love the Smeg ones, but I would go for an American one if I had the room, I have noticed lots of wasps in the last few days, try not to spend to much time doing the boring cleaning jobs, enjoy the sunshine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing about the fat pigeon. Good to see that wreath again. Good luck with the fridge freezer, it's a pain when they give up the ghost. I hope you're feeling all better now. The Yarn Harlot writes very eloquently about storing (hiding) yarn. For example, those saucepans at the back of the cupboard that no-one ever uses... If you don't have the freezer of your dreams then a birthday blanket pack of yarn seems only fair. Enjoy the rest of your day. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an American fridge freezer, the only downside is that the freezer part is quite small as the water dispenser takes up an awful lot of room so make sure you look at that when you're making your decision. The other thing is that they have to be plumbed in. I think you can get some without water dispensers though, but that's one bit that I do love about it. Enjoy your day off work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really laughed about the fat pigeon , hope the freezer thingy works out, I always listen to what my husband wants and then do exactly what I want !!! I have learnt after all these years a domestic goddess he is not and a happy wife means a happy husband, well that's my theory and I,m sticking to it!!!!! Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still laughing, I had to go back and read the post again but still didn't get to the end properly because I kept laughing. I love the idea of a big fat pigeon sitting on a shed all night...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your pigeon post did make me smile. The thought of your dad coming to haunt your mother in the guise of a pigeon. I hope you are feeling better and can't wait to see the result of all your granny square making.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rocky sounds like a character, your blog has really made me chuckle this morning, especially the pigeon part! Shame you didn't get your ice cream, but more importantly did you get your gin??! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always have the best of intentions in using up my yarn scraps, but I don't seem to be able to stick with it. Good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After the issue with the pumpkin, maybe you had better let Mike have the freezer that he wants are you may end up with no birthday gift at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is getting the freezer he wants Sue, I don't know who was more shocked at the pumpkin, Mike or me!

      Delete
  11. I hope that you're having a good day, and enjoy the rest of the week. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your post regarding your dad's wreath, thanks for sharing again, the pigeons are really fat this year. I can't believe how cool it is, September is normally warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great post, Jo! I really enjoy reading your texts. You seem to have very special pigeons where you live. Have a good week and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great post, Jo! I really enjoy reading your texts. You seem to have very special pigeons where you live. Have a good week and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, that pigeon. You made me laugh out loud. How funny! I hope your freezer is an easy fix, what a nuisance. Take care and have a good week, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pigeon story - I think I'd freak out if someone told me that. Those pigeons can be quite sinister.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pigeon story is so funny. Last night I was texting my sister about my Dad and it auto corrected the word tomorrow for Tommie. We were hysterical so now we have decided to call my Father Tommie every time we text about him. It definitely lightens the mood.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've giggled all the way through. I shall never be able to look at a pigeon the same way again :o) Oh woe about the ice cream- I've been smiling at the thought of you eating it with your G&T ever since you mentioned it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope the portly pigeon doesn't put the brakes on the sending spree. Good luck with the freezer choosing (there's so much choice out there, I'd be dithering forever). Just looked out of the window here and I think your dad just landed on our bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I look forward to seeing some more of your granny square blanket soon. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you had a good day off and did all you wanted. The pigeon wreath is funny and the fat pigeon even funnier. When you're trying to use up yarn it seems to breed, hiding it seems like a good option :o) and you deserve a birthday yarn pack if you've missed out on the Smeg. Have a good week. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is always space in a house for more yarn. I knew somebody who kept her secret stash in the back of the bath panel!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun post to read! :) Oh I would have panicked at cutting the stem on that giant pumpkin, and I would have tried to save the poor daddy long legs from the wasp. :) I drive myself crazy trying to rescue bugs and things. Always lots of housework waiting, that's for sure. Henny

    ReplyDelete
  24. such unusual wreath, so interesting

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.