Monday, 12 October 2015

Plans afoot

Two of my birthday presents this year, I behaved myself impeccably as I wanted The New Kitchen Garden since it was released earlier on this year, I was trying to teach myself some self restraint & it worked as it was left on the radiator cabinet in the hall for two weeks prior to my birthday & I only opened it once!

The above two books will be put to good use over autumn & winter for the planning of my plot next year & they are both a very good read too.

We are back to growing from seed next year & will be very selective over what to grow. The pot was a little too packed this year & I would prefer more quality rather than quantity of varieties. Only took a few years to learn that little pearl of wisdom. The brassicas have been whittled down to sprouting broccolis of each colour variety - purple, white & green, kale & spring greens.

I also find myself planning for two other people next year too, no rest for the wicked. My mother wants a few pots of flowers & veg. I can easily cope with that. She wants a tomato plant, some peas just for eating from the pod, a couple of runner beans, some pots of potatoes, lettuce & some carrots.

The other one is only a situation I could find myself in so I will take you back to earlier on this year when my MD decided he wanted to grow some flowers & went out a bought 3 packs, compost & some of those window sill propagators. Now being an MD means you can just waltz off & leave these things to other people & the person who was trusted to look after these little plants had no clue & the other person helping out  wasn't much better either. I took over the situation & drained the drowning plants & brought in a mister for the little seedlings. I then promptly found myself in charge of them as I was making phone calls over the weekend for other staff to care for them until I decided to save myself the worry & brought them home & stuck them in the greenhouse. That is where I became unstuck as apparently if you have a greenhouse you are an expert gardener!! Which I am not!!

The conversation earlier last week entailed 'What are you growing for me next year, I don't want anything too big about a foot high, I'm thinking of different seasonal displays & what about some hanging baskets too, also I'm having patio doors put into my office instead of the window so I can have some pots on the roof space'. Believe me that is the shortened version. So my dears any advice I'm thinking 5 variety's for each season they have to be annuals, easy to care for & less than a foot tall. I'm looking in the kids section at the weekend :D

26 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'd hand him a seed catalogue and tell him Good Luck. I could go on for ever buying gardening books, I think you were very restrained having them under your nose and not peeking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those books and treasure them, I am at the early stage of garden planning now, looking at the deed tins and trying to clear a space to spread them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey, isn't he taking the mick just a little bit....?! I think I'd have had to disabuse him of the idea of me doing his work, boss or no boss. Well done on the book restraint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's that saying? Give someone an inch......

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks and sounds like you've lots to look forward to. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you are impressive not taking the books and reading them from cover to cover prior to your birthday, that takes some serious restraint, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you manage to restrain yourself from picking up your new book?! I have a couple of newbies but determined to finish the one I'm on now (a self-sufficiency one, really good actually) but I still keep looking longingly at the other two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Jules response...really? Sounds like they have become pretty assuming. Glad you have your new books to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Typical boss, well get some nice stuff and charge him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear. He might be trying to flatter you, in a roundabout way.
    You could go for evergreens as a base for all seasons (ivy being one of them) and now I first have to go and think, somewhere in a quiet corner.
    Or you could indeed hand him a seed catalogue, like Jo further up ^^^ suggested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeeep! I'd politely say, I don't mind giving you a few seedlings from what I'm growing etc but I've no time this summer to take on any commission work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What have you let yourself in for "garden expert"? Maybe you've got to learn to say you're too busy and the word NO. Some of us never learn though, but you've not been well and need to take care of yourself. Look forward to seeing what you plant in your veg plots for next year. Must get your email address so we can exchange some notes for our Xmas swap. Have a good week and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so interesting books. Building a good kitchen garden is my obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness, it sounds as though you are going to be very busy. I hope that you will enjoy all this growing that you are going to be doing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome up date thank you for your sharing
    have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete
  16. For spring couldn't you tell him to buy a large pot and some small growing bulbs and a few pansies so that you don't have to fill up your greenhouse with his things. I was once in charge of the plant stall at our school carnival and ended up filling my greenhouse with things that weren't for me don't end up
    with the same problem

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sunflowers are out then. Sounds like you'll be quite busy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where I work, if you can spell it, then you're an expert. So having a greenhouse really must put you in the expert category.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're busy... I look forward to seeing photos of the results. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear. Sounds like someone is being presumptuous and you're going to have your hands (and your greenhouse) full.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmmm, what a tricky situation. I'd go with offering the boss the leftovers from whatever you're growing! Lovely that you can grow a few bits for your Mum though - she sounds like a lady who's got is sussed. I grew curly kale from a tray of 9 bought at the farmers' market last spring and have been slightly overwhelmed by the quantities; luckily a neighbour loves it and is really pleased to be allowed to help himself. Quality not quantity is a good thing to remember when choosing seeds - and please let us have your review of the Kitchen book, I've been wondering whether to buy that for myself! Caro x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I, too, am dead impressed by your restraint, Jo. What a lovely lot of winter reading and planning you have to do. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good plans to be made over the winter, eh? And are you ok about being the 'expert'? My Grandad would have told you.... never volunteer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness, you're going to be so busy. No advice i'm afraid as I'm more likely to need it than give it xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you...I am always being asked for advice at work...it's amazing how clueless some people can be!!! I wish you luck with this.

    ReplyDelete


  26. The original one may be made of bull skin, but the Fake Mulberry is made of sheepskin and deerskin which makes it softer to the touch and more resistant to wear. In all the other aspects, the Hermes handbags has all the features as the original designer one.Chanel handbags has a gorgeous silver palladium hardware and lock, key and padlock. Now where have you seen a padlock? If your answer is Louis Vuitton Handbag then you are right. Rolex Air King doesn’t deny its nature and uses its most pregnant features to most of its watches. That doesn’t mean that only Rolex Watches with padlock.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.