Wednesday, 2 December 2015

A quilt for Harry

I came in quite late to this crafty malarkey. I've always enjoyed it though & remember spending many happy hours as a child making something or other.

I've amassed a great deal of crafting material over the past couple of years & whilst my children are older 21 & 14 it hasn't stopped me making things for them.

Not quite the material for a 14 year old but I really liked the nautical aspect of a fat quarter bundle I bought at the beginning of this year & along with some other fabric in a similar shade I made this simple quilt.

You can see the deliberate ahem mistakes, the squares are not matched as perfectly as they should be. It is essentially 9 squares by 7 squares of fabric badly sewn together - I did get better as I went along & I've quilted it with a wavy effect. Another mistake which turned out well given the nautical nature of the fabric.  It's backed in a navy fleecy fabric which was a stupendous bargain of £2 a meter! I couldn't believe my luck when I spotted it in the fabric shop & then bound by navy bias binding.


Quite frankly I was ready to pull my hair out when attaching the binding yesterday afternoon - I need to go on a class or something!!

However more importantly for a home-made item it was made & received with love. It was deemed to be suitable for the wrapping of a taller than me 14 year old boy ( I am officially the smallest person in my family now) to keep warm & cosy whilst playing on his x-box.

Take care all xx

24 comments:

  1. I'm very admiring of anyone who quilts and sews (I can barely sew a button on). I bet your son loves it, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off to you ! I still have to make my first quilt, but I have cut a gazillion squares from fabric off-cuts over the years. They are nicely stacked, eyeing me up every time I overlook them in the craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smashing, looks great and cosy. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks fabulous. I'd love to be able to sew and admire anyone who can. I'm sure your whole family will be putting orders in now they've seen what you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely and the fabric is as suitable for a 14 year old boy as you will ever find. I bet he loves that you put so much effort into keeping him cosy while he battles aliens and races cars etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely Jo :-) a gaming blanket is always appreciated by boys, my Nan made one for my cousin too - there must be a market for them! Love the nautical theme! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is lovely, Jo, your sewing skills are on a par with mine ; not perfect but sewn with love :-) A great buy with the fabric too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is lovely, Jo, your sewing skills are on a par with mine ; not perfect but sewn with love :-) A great buy with the fabric too x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Jo, your sewing skills are better than mine! I do love making things though, so practice is the best way to get better, one day I will make time to get better....

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilt is fine Jo, I am the same, the one I made our lad for Christmas has a lot of flaws, it was hard work making it. But it is so satisfying, your son will love it, so snug xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is no better gift than "made received with love". Well done Jo. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Each stitch made with love, what could be better than that? A beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the quilt is perfect...and very pretty. This makes me feel better. I've made a few quilts over the years, but made my way; squares sewn together. I never had a class on quilt making, but have loved and enjoyed every quilt I ever managed to finish. Your quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, Jo, well done. I never bother with binding, I should have a lesson or three as well :o) XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done, it certainly looks okay to me. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are braver than me, I could not begin a project that big, I would not know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That so reminds me of my first quilt (shown recently), but you even put binding on yours. Mine was baged. Well done and wish I could give you a personal class in binding. We'll have you doing lots more eventually (giggle). Being small is nothing unusual, as you ought to see photos of our family together. I'm the shortest by a looooong way. Even my grandchildren are overtaking me now. Happy crafting and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I write this looking over at my 15 year old wrapped up in a blanket I made him years ago while he plays on the computer! It's lovely when something handmade is well-used and popular!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous quilt! I hope that you get a look in with it sometimes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jolly well done! Hand made things are the best to give and receive. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stitched with love is the best homemade gift. It looks great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous quilt - well done. Home made with love is the best gift in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful gift, it is lovely.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's looks lovely they are no easy undertaking are they, I am attemping my first quilt at the moment too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.