Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Rumtopf


A long long time ago my dad mentioned something called Rumtopf which is essentially soft fruit layered after picking  with sugar & rum. My kind of pud! 

This conversation probably came about from my love of collecting old tat but he remembered someone making it & he also remembered an old friend chucking a Rumtopf jar away.

Now I'm sure you could make Rumtopf in any kind of jar but I wanted a proper one you see & several years later I found one yesterday.

Mike was 50 on Friday so we had a bit of a celebration weekend & as Monday (yesterday) was no longer the weekend it was back to business & we delivered 5 bags of clothes to the charity shop.

Now I like a nice rummage in a charity shop looking for old jubilee/coronation memorabilia - see what I mean about my love of collecting old tat! I did strike lucky on a couple of pieces but what did my little eye spy on a shelf - a Rumptopf jar. Oh my days!! I was so excited & Mike very kindly bought it for me.

I'm going to layer strawberries, red & yellow raspberries, blueberries, tayberries, blackberries & loganberries oh and some black currants next year along with the sugar & rum. This should give me a glorious concoction to eat over ice cream & cheesecake this time next year. As Mike will be 51 next he wont be having a celebration weekend but I will cook a Sunday lunch for the whole family as conveniently his birthday lands on a Sunday next year. I like to plan ahead too.

Mikes zip wire experience was cancelled due to 'adverse weather conditions' so I think we are going around May time instead The weather may be a little brighter then + there is a steam train in the local area & I've always wanted to go on one so will make a weekend of it.
My three Christmas swap items were posted off last week a card to America, a parcel to Australia & a parcel for the UK. I think they have all got there. Now I can relax a bit & this couple of weeks I've booked off work have been divine. I have never felt this relaxed & I nearly had a go at the lottery so I wouldn't have to go back but then I remembered I quite like my job really & don't like gambling which is quite funny as it's the field I work in.

Are you all well  I do hope so. I'm trying to be really really good & not break into the toffee I bought for Christmas I'd best have another mince pie instead.

I shall leave you with this - you know the milk bottle tops -  well according to my local council recycling dept they have to recycled separately (or they did when I last looked) I was working my way through blogland last week & read this by Crimson Kettle I'm getting as many people involved as I can & have set up a collection box in my kitchen . I'm like the milk bottle police I really need to get back to work you know! I might have to take a little trip to Southampton next year to deposit them though!! Take care all xx

20 comments:

  1. I had to smile at your love for the Rumtopf. I have a very old one that I have never used, but it comes with me to each house we have lived in and sits on a shelf. Our is red and still has the instructions inside. I would love to fill it with all sorts, but at the moment it just has the odd key, some batteries, and anything else that is useful. Won't be able to make a dessert out of them :-) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered what those jars were for, I have seen lots at the carboot, please show the finished result x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great find at the charity shop, it's great when you hit lucky like that. What a shame about the weather on Mike's birthday, still, at least he's got his zip wire experience still to look forward to. My swap parcels are wrapped now, they're just waiting to be taken to the post office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Rumtopf jar looks lovely and it's the first time I've ever heard of Rumptof though it sounds delicious especially with ice cream and cheesecake - what time shall I come round next year to try some?! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great find,you will have to post when you put it to work. Pity about the zip line trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen one of those since my time in Germany many moons ago, it does I remember make for a great pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my, that sounds like a fabulous concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was fate, waiting for you when you tookin your donations. We used to get lots of these donated when I managed a charity shop.

    We save all our milk bottle tops for this charity too, a very easy thing to do, imagine if everyone in the country joined in. I'm afraid our donation of one bottle top a week is a bit pathetic but every little helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen a Rumptof for years, what a pity about Mike's trip though. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, I see Rumtopf jars all the time in charity shops in my part of the world. Must be a boozy lot round here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the knowledge about the milk bottle tops, its new to me. Why isn't it well known I wonder when it does such a good thing collecting them.
    Your Rumtopf jar has got me thinking that I might be able to use my very large kilner jar or does it have to exclude the light?
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Rumtopf sounds very interesting and I'd love to try some. Did I wish Mike a Happy birthday, as if I didn't a belated one is given now. Hope your parcel arrives soon. I posted 25/11. We aren't supposed to put milk bottle tops in our recycling here either, though I sometimes do by mistake, but they are plastic just the same, so I don't see the reasoning behind it. Maybe I should start something like that over here. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking out for a Rumtopf jar too. No luck so far though, I will watch yours with huge interest though!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was little people used to make Rumtopf all the time. I believe it went out of fashion somewhere late 70's.
    Looking forward to seeing the concoction you'll come up with next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant. I can just see it now, millions of milk bottle tops heading along the motorway. Your rumtopf concoction sounds really tasty. Enjoy your break from work.x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The jar is the perfect find! I am so glad you spotted it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds good to me. I wouldn't go on a zip-wire but be happy to chug-along on a steam train. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. My goodness, that is advance planning, dessert for a years time! It will be delicious though I am sure of that!! Happy Birthday Mike! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rumtopf sounds brilliant! I know my sister in law's Dad used to make it; and she loves it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.