Sunday, 6 December 2015

Veg plot in December

I wont post actual photos of the veg plot as it is blinking windy (just been topping up the bird feeders) & there are oodles of weeds. This mild & I did actually type wild first which is quite apt given the strength of the wind out there isn't doing much to keep the weeds down.  


Red cabbage being photo bombed by some Swiss chard. I have five red cabbages or at least I hope I have five as Mike has very helpfully promised some to other people. There should be one for me, one for his brother, one fore next doors son, one for next door but one & one for his best friend. Mike is very good like that you see, I never got to taste the cabbages from summer though the compliments from the people they were given to were very complimentary. 

Mike is a very kind hearted & generous man it gives him great pleasure to give away the stuff that he  I grow. I can't be too harsh on him as he is also very kind & generous to me & bought me a nice cook book last week. There was a lovely recipe in there for a spinach & ricotta cannelloni which is a great favourite in this house. I'm planning on using some of the Swiss chard to replace the spinach & as I'm trying to cut down on air miles I'm going to slice the stalks for stir-fry to replace the water chestnuts. Or at least I will if I ever remember to buy ricotta cheese!


I grew my leeks this year in large window box style planters & they have proved to be quite successful. Forgive the awful photographs if you will, it was rather tricky to use the camera when the wind was blowing me almost horizontal. Leek & potato soup, welsh rarebit with leeks & leeks wrapped in ham & smothered in cheese sauce are planned. 


This shot would you believe is meant to be of my tub of sweet potatoes in the greenhouse! It was taken through the glass & actually looked ok on the camera view thingamajig. It doesn't on here but the leaves have died back enough to have a rummage to see if there are any sweet potatoes in the soil. Once the wind dies down enough for me to enter the greenhouse without the door being ripped off I shall check. I do hope there are some there. Not that a lot of effort was put into growing them. I bought one sweet potato plant from the garden centre & put it in a pot in the greenhouse, it was fed & watered & grew beautifully. It would be nice to harvest something though & I like mine roasted but I have seen a chard & sweet potato curry I'd like to try. 

So there you go my dears my December veg plot. Hope you are all well xx

17 comments:

  1. Lovely greens, I love them, I didn't realise leeks could be grown in a planter I thought they would have to be sewn deep in the ground x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been mild hasn't it, I shudder to think what awaits me at the allotment. How lovely Mike is, but I do hope there's a cabbage left for you to try. I really must get to grips with cabbages, I'd love to have some. Enjoy your Sunday. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next year I'll grow some red cabbage, because they are not really available to buy anywhere near here.
    While the winds are battering the UK, all has calmed down here this fine morning. Stay warm, dry and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My veg plot consists off three pots of rainbow chard. It's almost big enough to start picking at.
    I've bought it indoors for the moment as I'm worried about being killed off by snow. But so far we haven't had any
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have onion sets already growing in my small plot. All the fruit is asleep gaining strength for next year. Even the flower have gone, the winds did them in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you've got glass in your greenhouse, a couple of my panels are in next door's garden, I'm sending Mick out there soon to go and retrieve them. The leeks look great, it's surprising how well some things do in containers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were brave to do a photo shoot in all of that wind.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think red cabbage is a good thing to grow as it keeps so well and can be used in so many ways.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope there's a red cabbage left for you after all that growing. I do enjoy eating it but, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever bought any to cook at home. Must remedy that. Today's weather here is a big improvement on yesterday's gale. Hope it's calmer where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks, and sounds, good to me. I hope that you find you've got some sweet potatoes. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that Mike didn't give away all your red cabbages I love them

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad that Mike didn't give away all your red cabbages I love them

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am hopeful for some carrots for Christmas, but that is if they are not water logged and rot with all this rain. Everything else is finished. I am grateful that I had the foresight to put a load of leeks into the freezer they are a real price a the moment and I love leek and potato soup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting that you got good results from growing leeks in containers. How do you think it compares to growing them in the soil?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds as though the veg plot was going well till the winds started, but I do hope you get at least some of the veg and it's not all battered. I love Swiss chard, which we actually call silverbeet. I have some in, but it's not doing as well as usual in this new garden, though I do have beans ready to pick and am giving away blueberries. I quite often do the chard stalks in white or cheese sauce. Hope the weather eases up soon and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well considering it's December, it all seems to be doing well. It looks awfully dark where you are and what with the wind as well it's surprising there's anything there. Hope it all perks up and you get to enjoy all the veg. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post confirms what all gardeners know - that the biggest challenges are presented by the weather! I have some leeks in containers too. I am keen to see how they compare with ones planted in my raised beds. I like the idea of using Swiss Chard stalks as a sub for water chestnuts. The texture might be quite similar.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.