Friday, 22 January 2016
Five on Friday
I hadn't planned to do a Five on Friday post this week but I seem to have the time to - in fact I seem to be on a roll this week. Perhaps at the age of 42 I've matured & can successfully manage my time. It will however all go to pot next week but we shan't dwell on that shall we.
I've been a gardener for such a long time, I can't imagine never not growing my own. For many years I gardened from my armchair before taking the plunge & digging up the lawn in the back garden & having a veg plot instead.
So here are five reasons for growing your own or perhaps there may be a myth or two put to rest
1. Gardening keeps you fit & healthy by increasing your exercise. Perhaps so if you have a large plot, but mine encourages me to have a gentle meander round the garden.
2. You can encourage plenty of wild life into the garden. This indeed is true however my resident toad cannot keep up with the slug population & the birds dislike the caterpillars on my gooseberry bushes.
3. Gardening teaches your children where fruit & vegetables come from & encourages them to eat healthily. This again is true however even Usain Bolt couldn't make his way through a strawberry/raspberry bush at the same speed of my children.
4. Growing your own is a cheap way to eat fruit & veg. Not even close - on a small scale it is purely a hobby a blinking expensive one at that. Unless you are more organised than me which I'm sure you are.
5. Joking aside, there is no better feeling than carrying a basket of your own produce into your kitchen with the sun on your back.
Joining in with Amy's Five on Friday - pop on over to see who else has joined up x