Monday, 4 January 2016

New year - New plans

A belated Happy New Year to you all. I don't do resolutions as such, a few plans, a few I'd like to do something fits well into my ethos.

There are big changes afoot here & the veg plot needs to go - as in move round the corner not go in its entirety.

Mike wants a work shop a much bigger space than his current man cave. However the garden is only a small one so our Christmas pondering has been how to accommodate the work shop.

The greenhouse will need to go, once Mikes work shop is built we shall buy a small lean to one to attach to the side of the workshop. We can still grow a couple of blight free tomatoes then, still grow some chillies & it will be somewhere for the peach & fig trees to reside over winter. Should they survive the cull that is.


The collection of fruit trees is being looked at, the ones we can plant in the ground will stay, the others, well if we can't give them away they will become log piles for garden insects.

The garden needs to adapt to our needs & lack of time has always been a big issue for me. The current veg patch is only a small one but it was badly designed. The new layout will consist 4 times 4ft by 4ft raised beds or two 8ft by 4ft beds. Beds I can walk around without trampling on the soil. Beds which will accommodate the veg we like to grow -beans, carrots, salads, new potatoes & sweetcorn.

The asparagus bed might not survive the cull, I have an idea in my head of two large triangular shaped beds of herbs, flowers, fruit trees & bushes. With a table & eating area in the centre. The garden needs to become more easy to care for & less maintenance too!

A year long project I suspect but Mike really wants his own space & it's only fair. I do get the man cave though which I will happily turn into a she shed! The new veg plot will start taking shape next month. Take care all xx

31 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of work....will be worth it in the end though. And at least you get your own shed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really exciting. Lots to do but all positive, hope you can find a home for your fruit trees I would love some but may be nowhere near you to take them off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good plan. Beds that you can walk all around really do make life a whole lot easier.
    Happy New Year Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Planning for something better is always nice. I like the process.
    With a well laid out veggie garden it's going to be a breeze to grow and maintain if you haven't got much time.
    Looking froward to the progress and results.xxx...x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always great to plan something new especially at the beginning of the year, I hope it all falls nicely into place. Happy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting plans. I have raised beds in the garden and they work really well, and it's always amazing how much variety can be grown. And a shed of your own, how lovely. It will be good to have a little greenhouse space as well, it would make a big difference to me if I had one I think. I'm wishing you and yours a very happy New Year, and I shall look forward to following your garden journey. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardens are forever changing aren't they. We just think we have things sorted and then start all over again

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have two lean to greenhouses with plastic panels, both a few years old, good price and they wear well. I think you have loads to do, but a well planned garden can produce loads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, and to you too.
    It certainly sounds like you're going to be busy before you get sowing and growing this year. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will be fun to see how your projects materialize in the new year. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. IT all sounds very exciting.
    Hugs and good luck,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds really good to me. Nothing I like better than big plans to improve things in the yard and garden. Makes it hard though when you're the only one wanting to change something. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's exciting when new plans are formed. I think we can sometimes set off with ideas which then change over time so some adjustments need to be made, it sounds like you've got to that point. Looking forward to watching it all come together. Wishing you and yours all the very best for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent plans for the year. I hope it all goes well. It's fun to make big changes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds very exciting, great to have a new project. I look forward to hearing all about it. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been jotting down a few changes for my garden. Nothing too dramatic, but a bit of a cull here and there. Marc is getting a new, smaller shed this year. His old one is rotten (blast that sea air), and he doesn't work from home anymore, so we are going to try and shoehorn a trampoline into the space too. For Olly, not me. I can no longer bounce up and down without crossing my legs ;)
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even do it with my legs crossed! :o) XX

      Delete
  17. Ooh, some exciting prospects! Just remind your Mike that if he has a workshop, it is for working in, not having fun! :)[Unlike a gardener's shed...]

    ReplyDelete
  18. That all sounds very exciting and you're so right to turn the space into something usable and nice rather than stressful and worrying. I shall envy you the raised beds! Hope all's well, chick XX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exciting times, always fun to have a new project. Hope all goes well, and not as time consuming as it is at present.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd love my veg plot to be longer, narrower and higher!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New year you have so many plans for the new year. I will look forward to watching your progress! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a lot of work ahead in 2016. Lucky you getting raised beds, something I'd love as I grow "older" and a small greenhouse. Looking forward to seeing your progress. I've one more present to open and can't believe how lucky I am. Thanks so much and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds as though it is all going to be very exciting! I hope that you enjoy it all, and your new girl shed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Exciting ...look forward to seeing it all unfold .

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy new year. I will look forward to hearing more of your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy New Year Jo! All sounds very exciting plans afoot in your garden! An even bigger man cave... he'll be living in there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy new year Jo and good luck with all your plans. I'm waiting for the rain to stop for a day or two and some frosty days to come so I can get out in the garden and tidy up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year Jo, your garden plans sound very exciting. I hope to have a veg patch when we move, the new garden has an area that I think I could convert for veg so I'm in the process of researching how it might work. I shall follow your progress with interest
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy new year and realize your new plans!

    ReplyDelete
  30. As the cake man once said, it all sounds exceedingly good. My friends' husband had a big workshop built at the bottom of the garden last year. She hasn't seen him for months!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.