Sunday, 20 March 2016

Grand scheme of things

I've pondered hard on whether to post this very minor matter, it's a very first world problem & in the 'Grand scheme of things' means diddly squat. 

My lovely husband has a very traditional view on life in that he is the provider. We are both lucky that we are both in well paid secure jobs which means our little family has a good standard of living. I do realise how fortunate we are.

Yesterday morning he told me to get ready & that he would take me out for a charm for my bracelet. I was lying on the sofa with a minor cold keeping warm under my finished blanket. I was going no where. He then offered to take me to Hobbycraft &  I thought to myself ohh I'd rather like a pompom maker but no I was still happy with a bundle of tissues & to stay on the sofa.

He then offered to take me to Abakhan to use my £5 off voucher Mike had won & we kept on forgetting to redeem. This did make me get up from the sofa, showered, dressed we were off. 

We visit the Mostyn branch often, it is staffed by very knowledgeable ladies (in the fabric department) & we always visit the cafe for a nice lunch. The location is nice & the only thing I've ever had against the Mostyn branch apart from a few minor issues with the yarn building is that each department is housed in separate buildings. I have a set routine when visiting. Fabric department first, a mooch round the home furnishings, peruse the craft classes on offer, lunch, yarn shop then finally the craft shop then departing with car boot full of goodies. 

The fabric department was as always a pleasure to shop in . Mike bought me two x 1.5 meters of two different Liberty fabrics & two meters of a navy cotton fabric. We had a lovely chat with the lady who served us & she signed me up to their new reward scheme. 

You are given a card & if you spend over £15 you get a stamp. You are given various rewards at different stamp levels. We spent over £42 & while I was expecting one stamp the card was stamped twice. This troubled me slightly as Mike is a cheeky so & so - he will always ask for more. If I'm close enough I normally tell the person to ignore him.

I looked at a couple of craft classes I was interested in taking. An overlocker one & a machine embroidery one. We then went for something to eat.  All very nice.

We then visited the yarn building. I had no plans to buy yarn but I always like to have a look. Then I saw the display of West Yorkshire Spinners yarn & went straight to heaven. We did have a good look round the shop & Mike was very encouraging. We returned to the WYS display &  I looked at the 4 ply Signature range. I put two balls in my basket & Mike put another two in along with a crochet hook. He was going to buy me the Illustrious book which I had been after for ages & promised me a return visit to by me the yarn I declined the offer of the book due to the amount he was spending. As I said earlier we are frequent visitors. I could get it another time. Anyway after a lacklustre response to a knitting needle enquiry we decided to pay. 

The staff member who was serving a customer at the next till was encouraging her to sign up to the reward card. 'For every £15 spent you get a stamp dear' this appeased my slightly troubled mind over having my card stamped twice earlier on. We thought we had spent around £30 & this was confirmed when my yarn was put through the till. 
'I can only stamp your ticket once' the assistant told us 'as it has come up as two separate transactions' Mike asked in a slightly bemused manner what she meant as we were paying for the one transaction. 'No it's two transactions one for £21 something & the other £9 something this means I can only stamp your  card the once for the £21 transaction.' Which she proceeded to do so. After further queries we decided to leave it & left the shop. Instead of our usual visit to the craft shop we headed for the car.

Now this troubled Mike to the extent of stopping in a car park on the way home to phone Abakhan.  The phone was eventually answered by what sounded like a slightly bored teenager &  I took over the phone call after looking at Mikes incredulous expression. 

She told me that the yarn staff member was right, that there were teething problems with the new introduction & issues were being passed to the marketing manager.  I asked her to confirm that if I had bought a variety of smaller priced items which totalled £15 then I wouldn't be eligible for a stamp. She agreed with me . She tried to backtrack at one point of the conversation but as I then had that slightly incredulous look on my face I can't quite remember at what point she backtracked.  I pointed out that Abakan really need to up their staff training on matters like this & to ensure the marketing boards in the stores are changed to reflect the true nature of the offer. 

I've sent an email of complaint in & after the dismal experience of speaking to the slightly bored teenager informed both that I will not be returning to Aberkan & would be taking my not inconsiderable yearly craft spend elsewhere. I'm not if I'm honest expecting a response back from Abakhan & the only reason we haven't returned the items we bought is that Mike refuses to go back to the place but as I say 'In the grand scheme of things' it's nothing really.

I wish I had gone to Hobbycraft for a pompom maker instead. 

According the the receipt & Abakhan the three multicoloured yarns were one transaction & the red yarn along with the crochet hook was a separate transaction. Yet all on the same receipt & one total of £31.60 paid- madness. If I do get a response I might jolly well copy & paste it as a post in the week.

Hope you are al well xx  

28 comments:

  1. What a bizarre way if doing things. You do right to complain. I'd send them a link to this post to show the adverse publicity they have caused. It;s not the amount is it? It's just the feeling of being duped. I hate that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How blooming annoying and jobsworthy of them. It's like that moment in Pretty Woman where you'll go back with bags and bags of hobby craft and say 'big mistake'!
    What was it really to give an extra stamp in the big scheme of things - in this day n age you'd think they'd be trying to keep their customers! Outraged on your behalf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a load of rubbish. How can one colour yarn be a separate transaction to another colour yarn on the same receipt? It sounds as though they don't know what they're doing. You do right to complain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How incredibly confusing!!! I know you have explained it well, but I don't understand it at all!!! If you buy anything else elsewhere that attracts "reward" points you get them on the whole amount, if the total bill is £31.00 you would get two stamps, if it was £29.00 you would get one stamp, regardless of the cost of the individual items. Crazy! I agree, you should have complained and it is good that you did. They need to be very clear about their policy, implementing it and explaining it. In fact, I would say this is against trades descriptions! Lovely yarn though, and I am sure the fabric is too, enjoy them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the little things that really get to us isn't it? I am like that all the time, a big thing I adapt to but this would derive me crazy. Yarn is yarn and should be considered one purchase. If you had one receipt it should all be included.
    You did get some lovely things, hope you are feeling better.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible! What a terrible palaver over a stamp that in the grand scheme of things is costing THEM (the staff) nothing at all so you would think they would have just given you the stamp rather than lose a customer. Particularly one that spends regularly. It beggars belief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If they offer a reward scheme, then they should make sure it does what it says. Too many shops get away with things because we're too polite to say anything. It'll be interesting to see what Abakhans have to say for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If they offer a reward scheme, then they should make sure it does what it says. Too many shops get away with things because we're too polite to say anything. It'll be interesting to see what Abakhans have to say for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how bizarre! at the end of the day you are their customer, they should be falling over their feet to help you, and in not doing so they are losing a substantial amount in profit, tell them that when they reply lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is not at all nice for you and does spoil the shopping experience. The problem is that the people you deal with have their instructions and must stick to them and you have to find someone pretty high up before they can apply some common sense to the problem.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes rewards programs seem really nonsensical. There have been a lot of complaints recently in the US about the new program Starbucks has been rolling out, which really only rewards very heavy users of their products. It doesn't seem fair to make it basically useless unless you drink tons of their coffee. I might go there four times a year because it's just too expensive otherwise. I'm sorry you had such a frustrating experience and I hope they take your opinions into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Named and shamed Jo, good for you. It's certainly misrepresentation and it may well be illegal. I look forward to hearing what happens. And I absolutely love that WYS yarn. Pheasant? Kingfisher? It's gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. How frustrating, I'd be avoiding them from now on as well. These places make everything so very complicated for everyone. I always feel I am being made to jump through hoops to avoid paying too much for things. Mike sounds like a jolly good egg though! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have a loyalty scheme a bit like that in a local shop, one time I was told that as my item was in the sale I couldn't have my card stamped.......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crazy, but then I do find some rewards schemes just a little confusing and some are fine. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is the principle and you are dead right to complain. I am not a complainer by nature, don't like confrontation, but on matters like this , nothing ventured nothing gained. These schemes should have clear guidelines . Right jumping off the orange box now!!! Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What sort of bonkers loyalty scheme is that? I'm still confused. At least you got to keep your lovely yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really have no idea about that. But your wool is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a very lovely husband coaxing you out and treating you and even encouraging you to buy all manner of crafty things. I am with you both on this issue how bl..dy annoying I would have probably done the same, let us know if you get a reply. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's daft. They need to think hard about what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds a silly way of doing things if you ask me. Mind you, I'd cut my nose off to spite my face and quite happily tell them I didn't want it and walk out.

    I had a similar thing years ago, can't remember the store, but if you spent over £50 on dinner service items you got £10 off. We spent over £100 and I certainly expected 2 x £10's off but I only got £10 deducted. They'd wrapped everything up in tissue paper as they went along as well, but I made them void the sale, unwrap everything then till it through as 2 separate sales. £20 was a lot of money to us then. Actually it still is and I'd not hesitate to do the same again. Your Mike sounds like Mark and me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well it doesn't seem right at all if they are offering a stamp for every $15(sorry I don't have "pound" symbol), and then their computer system won't calculate it properly. Surely they can calculate in their silly heads how many stamps you are owed (isn't the stamp just manually applied to your card?). Dumb ... I hope signing up was free.
    Can I also say you are not only fortunate in your jobs, but to have a husband like Mike who actually encourages you to pick up extra purchases that he knows you would like?! My husband would NEVER encourage me to buy anything. He scowls and grumbles and his usual comment is "where are you going to put that?!" or "what are you going to make with that?!" in an angry way, not an encouraging way. It's really no fun at all. You are a lucky girl ;)
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  23. How peculiar! I don't blame you for standing your ground. It's a pity though as it sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Love that birdie yarn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. How peculiar! I don't blame you for standing your ground. It's a pity though as it sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Love that birdie yarn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This kind of thing really annoys me. How do independent craft shops expect to survive in a world of online shops and hobbycraft when they offer such rubbish, disinterested customer service? You spent over thirty quid. The exact make up of the transaction is irrelevant, you should have got your two stamps. It's so unbelievably petty, but yet it's important to you as a customer because they should be encouraging your loyalty not alienating you.

    Also - I find other people's first world problems endlessly interesting, it makes me think oh good, it's not just me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a disappointment to find a favourite shop of yours giving such a rubbish customer service. It's very sad and petty that they just couldn't have got around it at the checkout to give you what you were entitled to, and more importantly, to keep you happy and wanting to come back again. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth being treated like that, as well as being disapointing for you.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Poor customer service is what it boils down to. Here we have "managers" and any manager with any sense would have apologized to you and given you your extra stamp. Just stupid is what it is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.