Wednesday, 2 March 2016

Life whizzing by

I'd like to say that February whizzed by but it felt like I was stuck in treacle. A combination of work & family has kept me away.  Nothing major but something had to give & blogging it was, I was so exhausted last night that I crept to bed at 7:45 pm & woke up rather refreshed this morning. 

We have recently received the most amazing news. Rob has been offered a job with Aberystwyth University. I always thought I would lose my eldest son to a welsh village. In time I know that will happen. That boy of mine has always been so intransigently welsh, it is ingrained on his very soul. Unlike Harry who is English which makes the six nations huge fun in our house. Naturally I side with Harry as I'm English too. I have a lovely memory of Rob aged about 12 on the beach at Aberystwyth announcing that he would attend the university there one day. Which he did & had the absolute time of his life.

Ten years on he starts his dream career at the new Aberystwyth campus - based in Mauritius . Yes that is right  I'm losing my son to Mauritius, not until August though. 

I keep on asking if he is correct  & could I read his offer of employment. To which he is reply yes he is quite sure of the offer & no you cannot read it as it is in Welsh! 

I am deeply behind on commenting & reading blogs to be honest I am trying to catch up as life appears to be on more of an even keel now.

Harry has been picking his options ( a selection of subjects to study through to GCSE level) maths, science, english, welsh & quite a few others are compulsory. Forgive me I should know off the top of my head but I'm feeling a little bogged down by it all. We have had quite a few fraught discussions you know temperamental 14 year old boy & all that!  Over dinner last Monday I brought up at the table that we really should make a final decision & enter his selected subjects and back up choices. Harry's casual reply back was that he had already done so in school. Really? which was  my slightly hysterical response. What have you chosen?

History, business studies & engineering. 

Not quite sure how engineering is going to help with a possible law degree in the future but there we go. Business studies really was the best out of the middle option for him so I'm quite pleased ( & rather relieved)

I read Christina's post last week ( in work so I couldn't comment & rather guilty of no time at home) but oh how I emphasised. Another fraught discussion with Harry last week after I caught him on his xbox. I was madly waving revision books at him asking why he wasnt revising for his science exam, to which he replied with a touch more glee in his voice than was strictly necessary " It was today, I actually thought I did quite well". I gave him extra broccoli at dinner for his cheek!

I shall stop rambling now, I hope you are all well & now I'm  blogging again I shall be back with wool guilt & seed potatoes xx




19 comments:

  1. Fun that your sons are making their way. I had not heard of that university, being from the States, but very much hope it will be good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mauritius- how exciting. I hope you're planning a few trips to see him.
    I love that Harry got extra broccoli, Mum always knows best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Many congratulations to Rob, brilliant news. You'll definitely have to go and visit him there. Daniel finishes this year so we're just keeping our fingers crossed that he can get a job, there's no guarantees these days even with a degree so Rob's done really well. It sounds like Harry's got his head screwed on straight, it's good that he's able to decide things for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your boys keep you busy Jo, even the grown up one! Good luck to them with their jobs and study choices! Hope March is a stress free month for you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you back blogging Jo. It sounds like your boys are keeping you very busy. Congratulations to Rob on getting his dream job, you will miss him loads I'm sure but so long as he's happy and healthy that's all we can hope for for our children. We have one in Canada and one on the Isle of Man so understand the difficulties and heart ache of having children many mikes away.
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting times, congratulations to your son a great achievement. I see many trips to Mauritius in your future. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to your son, and what a beautiful place to visit. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is that time of year, our eldest grandson got his 1st choice of senior school, so happy households around here. Congratulations to Rob, it is lovely to hear someone getting what they want and no doubt something they have worked hard for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a month you had and I sometimes forget life's hassles with children still at home, though things still crop up to make you worry about them once they've left home. None of ours live close as Oz is such a huge place, but I feel for you to lose one overseas, but you never know where life will lead any of us. Look forward to your craft/gardening updates. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mauritius! I've been there.. god I'm so envious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mauritius? Wow, that some place to get yourself a job, well done him! I hope life slows down for you a little in March ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, a job in Mauritius, how amazing. I hope you are planning a holiday already! I used to have a pen pal in Mauritius. Choices are hard, I hear your pain. Sam has also made his choices and needs to hand those in shortly. We had a career evening tonight and Sam was painfully awkward... Teenage boys eh. I hope March pans out more chilled for you! Thanks for the mention btw, and don't feel guilty for not commenting ever life is busy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very exciting and quite good for a holiday too! A difficult time examwise, I hope all goes well, no wonder you've been absent. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, very well done to Rob, that's absolutely amazing, he'll no doubt have the time of his life, I'm so pleased. And well done Harry for making his choices! I have all of this to come, not looking forward to it. I hope March is an easier month for you. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done to your son, how brilliant, and how proud you must be. Your tales of life with a teenage son make me giggle a bit, but also make me a little bit panicky for the future...I dread to think what my two will be like. More to the point, I dread to think what I will be like! A total nagging nightmare I suspect.

    Anyway, I sympathise on the whole busyness thing, it's the same here. I hope life settles down for you now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done to Rob, and it sounds like Harry is heading in the right direction too. I hope that you're less stressed this month and get to enjoy some gardening. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I missed this post. Amazing for Rob but what about you and his girlfriend. Will you manage a holiday there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that reminded me so much of when Amy was choosing her GCSE options. We discussed it for ages but there were a couple she wasn't sure off. One day she came home and just announced she'd put them down and handed the list in!

    Well done to Rob on the job front, although rather than asking to see the offer I'd be straight on t'internet looking at flights and holidays haha.

    There seem to be quite a few bloggers slowing down at the moment, myself included. Must be something in the air. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful news about Rob, and Harry is so mature picking his subjects like that. But still we worry as mother's don't we?
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.