Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Making a start

Thanks for all your kind words about my brother. However it has been confirmed by the doctor on duty that he is indeed a dipstick (brother not doctor) as he has been walking round with a two inch fracture on his forehead for the past two weeks. However as my brother had been taking a photo daily of his badly bruised & swollen forehead (what sort of prat does that?) they were able to gauge the scale of said injury & after some questions & an x ray we were able to leave. 

He bought me a rather splendid lunch to say thank you. I spent the remainder of the afternoon trailing after my brother through the city of Chester feeling more than sozzled as he bought me a bottle of prosecco during lunch. That is after me drinking my two regulation glasses. 

Now I like a drink ladies & gentlemen I make no secret about that. However I can manage a glass & a half before I start feeling merry. How I didn't start swinging from the rows I don't know. 

Sunday afternoon at the  garden centre saw Mike & I buy these little beauties. Our local garden centre were selling greenhouse plants 4 for £5 
I bought £15 worth so we are nicely set. I have a selection of heritage tomatoes because all I want from a tomato is to look pretty in a bowl. I don't like raw tomato - said quite possibly the only person ever, a cucumber & a selection of chillies. 
This works well for Mike & I a nice varied selection without the added cost of all the seeds, compost, pots etc.

I also made cauliflower cheese with the cauli from the garden.
I was going to do something fancy with such a wonderful specimen but was so thrilled not to be in work I took the easy option of whipping up a cheese sauce. Delightful it was too.

Talking of work I shall leave you with a funny tale. 

Part of my duties includes being the chief disciplinary officer. Oh she works in HR I here some of you say. No, just woman enough to do the job. 

Anyway I dressed myself this morning ready for work. Fitted smart black dress & a pinky tweed jacket. The dress is important to the story as I couldn't zip the blinking thing up properly. Snigger all you like as I was doing all sort of contortions. 

Now I had set my heart on wearing this dress so did the best I could & spent the day praying that a gust of wind didn't blow the back of my jacket up to show a half zipped up frock.

Take care all xx 

22 comments:

  1. Goodness, your brother's injury sounds awful, I hope he's soon on the road to recovery. At least you got a nice meal out for your trouble of taking him to A&E. Looking forward to hearing more about the tomato varieties you bought, I haven't even sown my seeds yet. Hope it was a calm day where you were and no gusts of wind showed your exposed back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poor brother.
    I am the same I get tiddly quite easily.
    I just love tomatoes all varieties x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha bless you, im chuckling at the half open dress and a gust of wind moment if it happened :-) Really sorry to hear about your brother hope he makes a quick recovery. Wine and a lovely lunch time meal sounds lovely to me :-) Your home grown cauliflower is a WOW its so white and lovely well done for growing that, I love cauliflower cheese. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The joy of a sister....the joy of home grown veg and dresses that can sort of stretch...you made me laugh..hope your brother gets back to normal soon, wished I had a brother who bought me wine..ha ha.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poor brother, how on earth didn't he realise what had happened. The rows in Chester would be a great place to have fun when you've had a few too many, I wouldn't mind swinging along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you shouldn't smile at someone's downfall, but your brother did make me titter a little...and then laugh at the thought of the wind whipping up a backless dress. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear. I did chuckle at the half zipped dress. I did something similar with a pair of jeans a couple of weeks ago. I spent the whole time terrified that I would inadvertently display my wears through an open zip!
    Leanne xx
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous cauliflower. There's a recipe for cauliflower and apple cake in this month's Waitrose magazine if you have any left over. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear your brother's injury sounds really painful, but at least you got a meal out of it! Love the dress story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your brother is mending well.

    I just love cauliflower cheese ...
    and your dress story did make me chuckle, as others have too!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your brother gets better soon. I have a dress story just like yours! Only I was found out, by a (platonic) male friend who had accompanied me to a bar on a night out. He laughed and laughed at me. I couldn't live it down for years afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awful for your brother, I suppose he just has to wait until it mends again, not sure how they would be able to fix it. Eek! Your cauli looks even better today. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sometimes wonder whether you are making this all up, it's so bizarre, but I have concluded that it is too far-fetched to be fiction!! Hoping for a quiet (I hesitate to say "normal") day for you tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great dress story! Your cauliflower looks amazing. Hope your brother recovers soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great dress story! Your cauliflower looks amazing. Hope your brother recovers soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your seedlings looks so healthy. I had to do 'snail war' this season, almost all of my seedling have chewed by the snail.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear that your dipstick, sorry, brother, is on the mend! He sounds just like many a brother around the world if that is any consolation to you. At least he is OK, that is the most important thing. Your cauli is indeed a magnificent specimen isn't it. Shame you don't have a local produce show to enter it into! It will make a lovely dinner though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brothers can be so exasperating! I love the funny tale about your zipper.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you are all fine. Much respect to anyone who can grow a white cauliflower that has not been eaten by any other creature! Fun dress story too - it is the sort of thing I would do. I did it with a whole in the top of my tights once and thought that no one would notice but I was a primary school teacher and one of the children sitting on the carpet said Miss Roberts you have a massive whole in your tights!! How could they see that far up??? Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is one impressive cauliflower. I think a cheese sauce was the right way to go - simple and tasty with the freshest of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am very sorry about your brother's injury. I hope he has a quick and speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.