Friday, 3 June 2016

Logan and tayberries

We have an abundance of soft fruit in the garden. Hopefully the birds will share some with us, truthfully there is enough for us to share.



We have both red and yellow raspberries in the garden both autumn fruiting varieties. Very easy to grow and look after - you cut the canes down to the ground in January and they throw new canes up in the Spring. I like a easy life!

Loganberries (top photo) Tayberries (bottom photo are a little different. We bought both plants a couple of years ago. The Loganberry fruited in its first year and provided us with a fine crop of ever so slightly tart berries. We planted it by the side gate and trained it over an arch. During its first winter I cut all the canes down to the ground. A mistake I found out as the canes it produced that first year contained leaves not blossom or berries. You only cut the canes that have fruited and leave the new canes for the following years crop.
Tayberries are similar but a lot more thorny. Ours scrambles up a wigwam in the orchard.
The orchard being a rather grand name for a space which is approx 10ft by 6ft but it contains our cherry and pear trees so orchard it is. I drop it into conversation quit often you know! 

Anyway I'm pleased to report both the logan and tayberry are smothered in fruit this year x 

20 comments:

  1. I guess logan pie will be on the menu...xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had loads of soft fruit on the blot but the only thing we have now are blueberries. They look to be doing very well this year, it must be a good year for fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a plum tree, so you're way ahead of me - yours is definitely an orchard as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful orchard you have, a very productive one xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like being a good year for soft fruit.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fruit bushes are doing really well. I want some raspberries for our new garden and those Autumn fruiting ones sound so much easier than the summer fruiting variety to look after. Think we might be trying them
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of having an orchard. I have never tried tayberries before, must put that right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! I had a Loganberry plant once upon a time, but had to get rid of it because it was always badly attacked by Raspberry beetles, and I didn't want to keep smothering it in chemicals to kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to grow fruit over an arch. As for your orchard, you keep dropping it into conversations, it does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you have an orchard! My tayberry is covered in blossom this year as well. If I'd have known how thorny it was going to be I might have planted it somewhere other than right in the middle of the garden though! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your definition of an orchard, it means I have one, too! Pear, plum and apple tree. Quince in the back. We are hopeless with raspberries but have a fabulous crop of redcurrant. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds delicious, the possibilities are endless x

    ReplyDelete
  13. My main raspberry bed was rubbish and I tried everything to improve it , next year it will become "The Pumpkin Bed "
    I like that you are a Snap Dragon lol !....I guess I would be a Voodoo Lily ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'An abundance of soft fruit in the garden'. I wish I could echo that. Sadly, there's just a blueberry plant in a pot here. But it does have flowers this year so you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely :-). It'll taste fab when it's ready too. I have a wicked recipe for forgotten pudding I'll give you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I keep thinking of getting some raspberry canes, but can never decide where to put them. Having an orchard would be wonderful ... I like how you roll ;) I've heard of logan berries, but not tay berries. You're making your own "Brambly Hedge" over there! I'd love to see the logan berry arch.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I was thinking of getting one of these, if you were to choose one of them which would you have? Which is sweeter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first time the tayberry has fruited for us so I'm unsure of the flavour. It is an extremely thorny bush - think bramble thorns! The loganberry produces large sweet berries with a hint of tartness so if I was buying another it would more than likely be a loganberry. The do seem rather prolific x

      Delete
  18. Mmm, these sound delicious and it looks like you're going to have lots of fruit.

    I don't have an orchard but my husband mocks me for referring to the grass as a lawn. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.