Monday, 8 August 2016

Bits and pieces

Oh I've been so busy of late, not the nice ' I've baked lots, gardened lots and made some crafty items'. 
No, busy at work that's me. I've found myself pondering more if I should have given up work when the boys were little like Mike said. Or if I had had my children later on in life instead. Or if I had a job where people likes me. For the record colleagues respect me but I'm not paid to be liked. 
Meh - excuse my miserableness I'm tired - really tired, work really has been overwhelming but we are off in a couple of weeks and have a few fun things planned. Including a visit to a brand new local wool shop!!! I'm excited about that one, Mike isn't. 

Anyhoo some photographs taken from my extended bloggy break when I was too tired to turn on the laptop at night, I am so behind with your blogs apologies, apologies.  

I sent my swap parcel over to Australia (nearly cried at the postage)

We have tomatoes in the greenhouse. I think these are 'Black Russian'. We also have Sungold of which I tried three! One after several glasses of wine, the second was a sober test to make sure I don't like tomatoes and the third was a tiny one the other day. I can confirm that I do not like tomatoes!

There are some courgettes somewhere in this photo. It's a trailing variety of which the name escapes me. I should google for you but I need to go o the local shop shortly and I'm still in my dressing gown. Harry requires his pocket money in cash and I require some breakfast pastries. Also some peppers for tonight dinner. 

Cucamelons, is that the correct spelling? See above for reasons for not googling the spelling. I love these, definitely on the list for next year. They rarely make it to the house. 

Goodness this is an awful photo isn't it. I was trying to capture just how pretty my runner bean structure looks. It is also entwined with sweet peas and borage. It really is very lovely in real life. Set against a background of raspberries. I nearly fell into the raspberries the other day. The Red Arrows were at Hawarden Friday and Saturday. I was stood on a garden chair trying to spot them. Alas I never did although I did hear them take off. That's when I nearly came a cropper. They flew over the house last year, quite low down in formation. I was all of a quiver I can tell you. The sky looks kind of blue doesn't it? It is actual steel grey, my walk to the shop will be fun!

Erm I finished my crochet cardigan thing from the first issue of Crochet now.

I sewed the first half up when I was nice and relaxed (what you see above is when I sewed the second half up)

I was tired not concentrating so sewed it up inside out. I've bundled it into the wardrobe until I can be bothered to unpick.

Please excuse the grubby walls, we are in decorating mode here. The Royal we of course. A new bathroom is being fitted next month too.  Oh what fun pfft!!!

Mike was perusing facebook last night and I was perusing possible treasures to buy as payday is coming up (for me).

He was giggling at a meme someone had posted of a 'bitchy resting face' he turned to me and remarked 'You don't have a bitchy resting face'. 'Thank you  darling' I said in return. ' No' he said 'You have a quivering I've seen something that somebody has and am busy searching Etsy, NotontheHighstreet, or wherever else to see if I can buy it after Mike leaves the house for work kind of face'

How rude! I was actually searching for gnome candles! 

Enjoy your day all she says hoping to catch up today! xx

30 comments:

  1. giggling - gnome candles :)! I just spent 55 pounds on 5 parcels today... ouch!(a couple to Australia which were pretty cheap) - days wages spent on postage! Oh well - they will hopefully bring smiles to people! I've never heard of cucumelons - very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was seven grams I believe over the cheaper price! Hope you liked them I can't remember if I replied to your email. Cucumelons are lovely the smaller ones taste of cucumber when they get a little larger they have more of a melon taste. x

      Delete
  2. Gnome candles! Nothing beats a cool gnome in the right place :-) I have been very restrained with any kind of fun shopping, including gnomes, as space is going to be limited once our building work starts. I have tried the stay at home option when I was made redundant and I didn't like it much. I guess I was not in the right frame of mind, or maybe I just need work. I am sorry work is stressful for you. I find it difficult to believe that you are not liked at work, you seem like a very nice person! Cheeky husbands, eh?! I have one of those, too. Hope this week is less tiring. I am going to google cucumelon now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved maternity leave every single bit of it but I was always eager to return to work. I had the lucky option of my children being looked after by my parents, they looked after my sisters children at the same time so it was a nice family unit. My mother always wanted me to return to work as she never had that option. She had to give up work after having me. Aw you're very sweet. I am liked by few I must admit. The people who work for me and the ones at the same level. The rest I spy on you see so am not liked as much as I would be if I had a different job. Easiest way to explain it :). x

      Delete
  3. Love reading your blog posts Jo! Your garden is looking fab, the runner bean structure looks so pretty! I love the cardigan too, though unpicking won't be fun, so I hope you have a large glass of something fizzy to hand! Hello to Rocky Hound! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw bless thanks! The garden is actually looking very scruffy, I pretend it looks rustic! Rocky says hello back to you and Barry after rather lazily lifting his head up. Sunbathing you see. x

      Delete
  4. Also meant to say I hope work improves soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It improved after last Wednesday thanks. Swings and roundabouts I either have too much to do or not enough. x

      Delete
  5. I am happy to be retired, but I did a year part time to ease myself into it. My garden has gone past scruffy and is full on Yeuk. The wind has battered all the climbing things around. It is scheduled for later in the week, today I am a domestic goddess and tomorrow is all about wool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I'm looking forward to retiring which I shall do at the same time as Mike quite possibly in nine years. Your tomorrow sounds good I have a similar day planned in two weeks. x

      Delete
  6. I know that face, I'm often to be found with one of those too. I'm sorry to hear that work's so busy at the moment. I went back part time after having the kids and then stopped working altogether six years ago. Working helped us to afford things we wouldn't have afforded had I stopped working but looking back now, if I had my time again, I would stay at home if I could afford to, even if it meant going without things. Saying that, I think what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another and it's up to the individual. I do admire those who work full time whilst bringing up a family, it must take a lot of juggling. The cardigan looks lovely, don't let it languish in the wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if the boys were still young I would give up work now. I have been lucky though with my parents looking after them and having the option to work from home. Thanks I'm very pleased with it, I will drag it out next week and resew again x

      Delete
  7. I don't like tomatoes either, we must be in a minority. I grow Sungold for Mike but each and every one of them is his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried three. Eww I really don't like them. I'm glad I have a companion. Every other person I know likes tomatoes. I do not like ketchup either but I am fond of sun dried tomato paste, pasta dishes based on a tomato sauce and minestrone. x

      Delete
  8. Gnome candles? As in, candles for gnomes? Aren't ordinary ones good enough? And I'm sorry work's not really exciting for you. I'm fresh back to full time work after my years of laze and it's really fun.. I am working with the husband, though, so I get to have a say in what we do and when.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very rude of him, if you were searching for something at a better price, you would have had your I'm so clever smirk on. I did not like cucamelons, I grew them for 2 years, could not get to like the taste, they do taste better when chilled. I'm still working hubby retired almost a year ago, some days I think I should give it all up, but I know I would get so bored, I did down size my role to a simple job, less stress, less pay but leave it behind each night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha glad to see you're back at least until you've visited the wool shop! Your veg. looks great, at least your tomatoes are red even if you don't like them. Good luck with the candles. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see a post pop up from you , but sorry that work is getting to you. You certainly seem busy on the home front too. Never heard of cucamelons & you don't like tomatoes? Hope your time off helps you relax & takes away the tiredness. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's strange how taste works as cucamelons never did it for us. As for work - I can wholeheartedly recommend early retirement, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cucamelons look so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too can highly recommend early retirement we have to watch the budget so gnome candles would not be a possibility...we can do what we want when we want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you will be ready for your holiday when it comes. The cucamelons sound intriguing, and your tomatoes look good, (even if you don't like them). Hope it's a better week for you.

    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least you keep your sense of humour throughout it all. I hope that energy and vitality come your way and bring relief from your workload. Looking forward to seeing your yarn purchases. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I fear I have that face too. Sorry your work is tough at the moment. A new wool shop is always a very good thing, I hope it's a good one. The crochet cardigan is brilliant, well worth digging it out and doing the unpicking I think. It will be lovely for cooler summer evenings/days. I remember seeing the Red Arrows displaying pretty much directly over my friends house. We were screaming so much! Hope the rest of your week isn't too bad. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Sue Garrett on both counts. Shame that you don't like tomatoes. Your runner beans should do well well if the flowers are anything to go by.
    Take care, and happy gardening. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, the amount of times I've sewn something together inside out! So annoying x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gnome candles? I like your crochet cardi. Sorry works been non-stop. Hopefully some time off will recharge the batteries :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear work is tough, spying on your colleagues eh, I am intrigued as to what your job is!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sorry you've been horrible busy, but this post did make me smile (sorry) especially the quivering shopping face. As for tomatoes... try Sweet Aperitif. They're lovely - I have been known to enjoy them without wine. May this week be better and may the wardrobe fairies restitch your crochet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.