Thursday, 11 August 2016

The greenhouse

I feel more on top of things now I've commented on quite a few blogs and because I enjoyed posting on my own blog yesterday I decided to give it another go. 

We have grown very little out in the open this year. The current design of the veg plot doesn't work very well so it needed to be redesigned. I hope to have the work completed during the next few months but in all honestly I cant see it being done until next year. We are having a new bathroom fitted towards the end of September and Mike has just decided that his car will need new front breaks. He was also muttering about it might need new calipers?? but to be honest I lost interest and have told him to take it to the garage at the weekend. I have a feeling it will be around £300 so no nice new sleepers for my new veg beds just yet.

We are very lucky in that we have a large greenhouse in the garden. Free too which is always nice.  It came with a weather vane, a table and a water butt. It came from just around the corner from where I live and I have happy memories of the kindly chap who used to own it. The poor chap is dead now but he was a lovely, cheerful fellow and I like to think we do his greenhouse justice. 







Mike enjoys growing a wide selection of chilli plants. No idea what he has in there I request that two of them be normal cooking types. The remainder are hot ones which he distributes between friends and work colleagues. 
The greenhouse is also home to a cucumber plant, the cucumelons, five or maybe four tomato plants and a peach tree.

No peaches this year, I accidentally left it out over the winter and nearly killed the poor thing. It has recovered surprisingly well and now resides permanently under cover. The fig tree will join it in a couple of months. About five years I've had the fig tree and the only fruit I've had off it was in the first year. I thought my luck was in this year as it had about fourteen baby fruit on it. Unfortunately they all fell off!

See the bike in it, flaming Mike! A whiff of anything free and he is there like a shot. He visited his brother the other week and noticed the bike had been put out for scrap. He asked if he could take it for Harry who incidentally already has a perfectly good bike. When I commented to Mike (through clenched teeth) why such a grotty thing was in my greenhouse he replied it was an expensive bike when it was first bought. I replied with 'I'm sure it was but your nephew is now in his twenties, it's been rotting at least ten years'! Grrrr xx

16 comments:

  1. I almost lost my lemon plant, not quite a tree yet. I am loving my greenhouse, our chilliest are doing great, I hate the but hubby and youngest son loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting, they all grows so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very envious of your lovely greenhouse. Although of course any panes of glass around here would be under immediate threat from flying balls of varying descriptions. Do you have room to plant the fig in the garden? I planted a couple of mine out and they are doing much better than the ones in pots and are fruiting really well. A little too well in fact, it turns out no-one particularly likes figs except me. I'm doing my best! My peach tree is in the ground as well and it has terrible peach leaf curl this year. You should avoid that in the greenhouse, I think it's the rain that spreads it around. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a greenhouse! Alas, the window sill has to make do. Men and bikes, a constant source of clutter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your greenhouse looks fabulous, I'm very envious :) I can't wait to get one (probably in a month of Sundays lol)
    I'll be honest, I'd have brought the bike home too haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love a greenhouse, but won't be getting one, though free would be good. We probably wouldn't use it the way you do in UK, but would be dreamy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely to think that items are still loved and used after the original owner is no longer here, I'm sure he'd be pleased that his greenhouse gives someone else a lot of pleasure, especially if he loved it himself. My little greenhouse hasn't had much use this year, all that's in there is a cucumber plant and the peach tree, I'm growing all my tomatoes outdoors this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just had one peach this year and our tree had been inside all winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. M is the same with chilies here. And bicycles :-). X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who can resist anything free, even if it is a rusty old bike. We have my mum's old bike that she got second hand in the 1960s, it's called Gladys and it's part of the family now, even though it's completely unrideable and takes up space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you having a greenhouse. If I had one I think that I'd grow a peach. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Three chilli plants (volcanically - is that a word? - hot ones for the chilli-head hubby) and two sweet peppers is all I have in the greenhouse this year, tomato blight ended my tomato salsa dreams but there's always next year. Have a lovely weekend in your garden. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the greenhouse! Your luck with fruit trees sounds a lot like mine. I keep saying, "maybe next year". Gosh, I also know how you feel about blogging. I just can't seem to keep up with posting, reading, and commenting, well, and replying. It sure is fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What is it with men and bikes?! John has never shown the slightest interest in gardening yet I am sure he would love to grow the hottest chilli imaginable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The greenhouse is looking grand. Perhaps there should be an 'only things that can grow' rule for the greenhouse? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The romantic in me loves the idea of a greenhouse which you knew in its former setting, the tales it could tell about its owners and the plants it has sheltered. The pragmatist in me loves the idea of a freebie! You certainly are doing it justice. Tell Mike to get his own shed. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.